DOA6 violence discussion

just_me

Standard Donor
I actually think the effect is pretty tame… stuff like Dragon Ball (with kid Goku) had more violent scenes than this.
It's even less noticeable during gameplay imo.

I think you can see Kasumi's bruised/damaged face at the end of the reveal trailer, right? At least it matches up with the bruising in the close-ups above.

Overall I think both effects communicate fairly well what they want to express without coming off as excessively/unnecessarily brutal or gory.

But I guess seeing 1-2 face punches per round might get old pretty fast… pretty sure we will be able to turn off the bruises (just like sweat and dirt), but I'm not sure about the face punch.

They should reduce the blood effect on FR though. This looks super dramatic for a combo that does about the same damage as a 6T command throw…

Brute

Standard Donor
Now I have to wonder what an izuna close-up would look like.

I'm not saying that for you, I'm just saying that there are people that's going to feel that way.
Well, sure. There's always someone out there who feels some way. But I think that's such a small minority it would be a bad decision to cater the game's direction towards that incredibly small crowd.

werewolfgold

That was some nice damage on that 10-hit combo and the end. But, super situational.

Since the Break Blows are tied to meter, the prevalence of the FACE PUNCH will be a matter of how much meter we will be able to generate in a round on release, as well as whether or not the Break Hold ends up being a more useful option. Also, remember that some characters hit people in the stomach for their break blow.

NewWestFan

Premium Donor
That was some nice damage on that 10-hit combo and the end. But, super situational.

Since the Break Blows are tied to meter, the prevalence of the FACE PUNCH will be a matter of how much meter we will be able to generate in a round on release, as well as whether or not the Break Hold ends up being a more useful option. Also, remember that some characters hit people in the stomach for their break blow.
Hopefully since their first public Demo is going to be at EVO they can actually get some competitively relevant players to give it a shot and give them feedback. This should give them some idea on how they need to balance the meter leading up to launch. If however everyone turns their nose up at it because of the stigma DOA has generated in the FGC we could be looking at the first mechanic they're going to have to patch balance ASAP after launch. It looked like that gauge filled stupid fast during the gameplay footage from yesterday. If it fills that quickly after launch it's going to get really annoying having to constantly break hold people out of fatal rush or break blows.

werewolfgold

You can get a good taste of the bruising and clothing tear effects from this Gamespot video. It's 8 minutes of direct capture footage. Also, Helena's turn to get punched in the face. lol
https://www.gamespot.com/videos/8-minutes-of-dead-or-alive-6-gameplay-e3-2018/2300-6444681/
upload_2018-6-16_2-18-49.png

upload_2018-6-16_2-20-3.png

upload_2018-6-16_2-23-46.png

It does kind of remind me of what MKX has going on, though obviously not as extreme.

upload_2018-6-16_2-16-49.png

upload_2018-6-16_2-21-25.png

upload_2018-6-16_2-22-28.png

Some other things to note:
1. It looks like music is stage-oriented again. Though, I suppose their also adding character themes isn't out of the question.
2. Hayabusa's mask/Hayate's hood blows up even if they get Break Blow'd to the stomach, which is awkward.
3. Fatal Rushes cause crumple or "Fatal Stun". It looks like Fatal Rush into Break Blow might get a tad overused when playing beginners. We'll have to see how they adjust everything.
4. Hayabusa and Hayate whipping out their swords (...never mind) during their win poses looks funny since they get absolutely no use during the fight.
5. I'm...75% sure the guys in the alley stage are Japanese VAs trying to speak English. Either that or...like random dudes off the street that were given no context to their lines. lol

Last edited:

NewWestFan

Premium Donor
Aslong as its fantasy wounds I don't mind. I don't want swelling or anything.
Yeah I dislike a couple of the characters but no one wants to see eyes swollen shut and lips split. Superficial bruising only I agree.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
The clothing breaking looks silly. I get it but clothes doesn't break that way when you fight with your hands so it ends up looking too dramatic. Maybe it makes more sense in stages which has explosions. Will clothes break in one hit like in DOA5 or does that happen slowly during a battle? That gamespot video won't load so i can't see.

After a character gets punched in the face the cloth disintegrates on the character's belly.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Yeah I dislike a couple of the characters but no one wants to see eyes swollen shut and lips split. Superficial bruising only I agree.
They also should get a bit more creative with the rips, seeing all the girls only get a rip in stomach will get old and dull fast. They could do some more variety like by making Helena's stocking get tears, Kasumi's armor can get somewhat crushed and her suit can get ripped in a couple of different areas. I also wouldn't mind maybe like hair deterioration like in SC6 where Sophitia's braid can come undone. I think it would be cool if Kasumi's ribbon could be undone and her hair drops down and maybe Helena's ribbon lace can be torn off and her hair is left free flowing too xD

I also hope they have an option to disable bruising and rips as well, I'm gonna keep it on but for picture taking and such which I specialize in I want the option to disable it since bruises and rips are cool but not exactly photogenic. XD

Normal

Face smash effect is cool but mean to the girls. Sometimes blood appears. This blood should not be default ON option, it is not ninja gaiden.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Face smash effect is cool but mean to the girls. Sometimes blood appears. This blood should not be default ON option, it is not ninja gaiden.
Mean to the girls? I feel that's kinda sexist imo, DOA is a fighter and all the girls are subjected to the same violence that men are like any other videogames. The women of DOA are strong so I'm sure they can take a hit, I mean Kasumi was slapped by Ryu, Jann Lee kicks Leifang's ass each tournament, and Ryu fucked Lisa in DOA5 near the the finale of the story XD Being a woman in a fighting game shouldn't mean that they shouldn't be subjected to the same punishment the men are, especially since the girls themselves are already pretty brutal with their styles besides maybe Helena

Also the bloodsplatter isn't that bad, Injustice 2 has it as a visual effect as well and it doesnt stain or anything, see? It's done for realism and isn't on MK levels

IMG_20171224_162007.jpg

I agree there could be an option to turn it off but it's not like its gonna be blood everywhere. It's more of a visual effect and DOA is no stranger to blood

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD