DOA6 violence discussion

Normal

Fictional injury is not abuse. Mutual combat is also not abuse, strangeman.

If you believe either of those not to be the case, than you must believe every fighting game ever is abuse.
It is impossible to argue two ways.
You will have fiction, and say anything goes, but at the same time want realism.
This doesn't work. Older DOA work as fictional fighting games without blood and bruises. If we insist fiction, why require realism? It is more fictional for girls to not bleed. So what is good? More fiction, or more reality?

I just do not want blood ON default. It is excessive.

Last edited:

Brute

Standard Donor
It is impossible to argue two ways.
You will have fiction, and say anything goes, but at the same time want realism.

This doesn't work. Older DOA work as fictional fighting games without blood and bruises. If we insist fiction, why require realism? It is more fictional for girls to not bleed. So what is good? More fiction, or more reality?
Adding cuts/bruises does not make it "realistic." It might make it slightly more realistic, but so does giving characters breathing animations, and no one is upset about that.

Everyone has a different balance of fictional portrayals of things that are inspired by reality and they prefer these in different degrees. Just because something emphasizes more or less of a particular element doesn't make it abuse. It's still fiction.

If you think that depicting injury against women in a fictional medium is inherently "abuse," then all past DOA games qualify.

Normal

Adding cuts/bruises does not make it "realistic." It might make it slightly more realistic, but so does giving characters breathing animations, and no one is upset about that.

Everyone has a different balance of fictional portrayals of things that are inspired by reality and they prefer these in different degrees. Just because something emphasizes more or less of a particular element doesn't make it abuse. It's still fiction.

If you think that depicting injury against women in a fictional medium is inherently "abuse," then all past DOA games qualify.
Even despite warning you still try to hide behind fiction while wishing for realism.

Too strange. I leave this thread now, thank you.

Blash

VERY good point! The fact that this game shows the impact for dynamic effect doesn't make it any more or less an issue.

In movies shakey cam and CG blood (or no blood at all) has made violence 'family friendly' cos we don't dwell on the impact it has. This slow-mo impact delivers a strong assault of meaning behind the finishing blows of each fight.

In Hong Kong movies, they speed up frames to make the fights seem faster. Jet Li HATED this as it took away the impact. The violence has always been there, the result of said violence has just been dummed down by fast movement and break neck delivery. When playing a heated game of DOA6 with a friend, back and forth and back and forth and down to the last HP, those power blows are gonna be what pushes the hard hitting competition to a more emotional level. If you are uncomfortable with that...

Maybe fighting games shouldnt be played by you at all then!

Normal

In this thread pretend it is realistic for women to be effective fighter but is fictional for women not to bleed.

Brain problems.

Sexism does not cause a man to have large muscles. Sexism does not cause a woman to be petite. This is reality and has no opinion. Women should not be abused by men because they are fragile and cannot beat men in reality, but woman could beat men in fiction. You agree this is video game and not real, so you agree fiction is fine. You accept it is fiction for woman to be effective fighter. You play and enjoy fiction game with fantasy instead of realism. So why realism face bruise and women bleeding?

Ryona is trash for untouchable bottom feeder. Even worse than marie rose pedophile fan.
It is just fighting game not literal wife beating simulator for drunk monsters.

SaihateDYNAMO

wait.. are people actually complaining that they have the women get just as bruised and battered as the men? as well as the bloody face closeups too? anyone who's against that still has the idealogy that women are weaker than men/the "fairer sex" or something. if jann lee and hayate can get socked in the face, so can kasumi and helena. i feel like they would have pissed off more people if they censored/didnt show the closeup.

bottom line...
tenor.gif

also lol @ someone bringing ryona into this, we clearly know where your mind's at whenever you see a woman get hit...

Sett

Close up face shots of punches isn't just for the players its for the spectators. Every modern fighting game has made a significant push for their game to be watchable by an audience. Although DoA5 was already decent in this area with supers interacting with certain stages and cliffhangers, this new mechanic looks to be more easy to achieve. ( I don't know how it works at a high level though.)

Brute

Standard Donor
In this thread pretend it is realistic for women to be effective fighter but is fictional for women not to bleed.

Brain problems.

Sexism does not cause a man to have large muscles. Sexism does not cause a woman to be petite. This is reality and has no opinion. Women should not be abused by men because they are fragile and cannot beat men in reality, but woman could beat men in fiction. You agree this is video game and not real, so you agree fiction is fine. You accept it is fiction for woman to be effective fighter. You play and enjoy fiction game with fantasy instead of realism. So why realism face bruise and women bleeding?
Yes, fiction is fine. This is all fiction. The men are fictional. The women are fictional. The violence is fictional. The blood is fictional.

Here's a "brain problem" for you:
The men in this game are depicted as having "large muscles."
The women are depicted as "petite."
As you said: "This is reality and has no opinion."
Thus, the games are "realistic" even without the face bruising so long as they visually depict this "real" phenomenon.

I'm literally going to write out your proposed logic for you in modus ponens format because I get the feeling you've never studied logic:
Your Argument:
Premise 1: If game contains a realistic depiction of something (if A), then it is realistic (then B).
Premise 2: DOA contains bruising, which is realistic (A).
Conclusion: DOA is realistic (therefore: B) merely by containing bruising.

My Counter-Example (that must also be true if the above is true):
Premise 1: If game contains a realistic depiction of something (if A), then it is realistic (then B).
Premise 2: DOA contains men having different body types than women, which is realistic (A).
Conclusion: DOA is realistic (therefore: B) merely by containing different body types.

So why is "realism face bruise and women bleeding" not okay when "realistic different-gendered body types" are okay? Because all fiction is based in reality and it's completely subjective what parts of it you want to see represented.
If you are opposed to any depiction of something that may represent something "realistic," then you would be opposed to the depiction of male and female characters having different body types.

I leave this thread now
I wish you'd stop lying.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Some benevolent sexism going on in here, and that is sexism too.
If a woman is portrayed fighting a man as an equal (as is the case in DOA and all other fighting games) and if she gets equally injured and equally handles those injuries, it should actually be considered a positive portrayal of a woman in a game.

Last edited:

Normal

Yes, fiction is fine. This is all fiction. The men are fictional. The women are fictional. The violence is fictional. The blood is fictional.

Here's a "brain problem" for you:
The men in this game are depicted as having "large muscles."
The women are depicted as "petite."
As you said: "This is reality and has no opinion."
Thus, the games are "realistic" even without the face bruising so long as they visually depict this "real" phenomenon.

I'm literally going to write out your proposed logic for you in modus ponens format because I get the feeling you've never studied logic:
Your Argument:
Premise 2: DOA contains bruising, which is realistic (A).
Conclusion: DOA is realistic (therefore: B) merely by containing bruising.

My Counter-Example (that must also be true if the above is true):
Premise 2: DOA contains men having different body types than women, which is realistic (A).
Conclusion: DOA is realistic (therefore: B) merely by containing different body types.

So why is "realism face bruise and women bleeding" not okay when "realistic different-gendered body types" are okay? Because all fiction is based in reality and it's completely subjective what parts of it you want to see represented.
If you are opposed to any depiction of something that may represent something "realistic," then you would be opposed to the depiction of male and female characters having different body types.

I wish you'd stop lying.
Too many words to pretend you are smart.

The argument is as such:
▪I feel blood should not be part of the game, but if in final game it should be default OFF and optional.
▪someone have brain issue and take strange offense from my comment about punching girls in the face being mean, to call it sexist.
▪I say "not-punching women isn't sexist"
▪you join and say its all fiction and imply fiction means its okay to rough up women in realistic ways such as beating face to bruises and blood
▪you wish to see realism depictions in fiction because brain problems
▪however we embrace concept of fiction being fantasy, where a dainty thin kunoichi may defeat a fit JKD martial artist.
▪you must strawman and misdirect to distract that you keep digging hole insisting realistic depictions of women abuse are not meant to be understood realistically. This invalidates want for realistic depictions however. Why make fiction appear realistic if not because you want it to appear more realistic and less fictional?
This question was apparent twice before this post.

Face punch break blow against pretty women is only mean because of graphics of blood and bruises. The effect of blood and bruises is the bad part, not the slowmo fictional facial animation.

I have played all earlier DoA games and many fighting games. I have no problem from fictional fighting of male and also female characters. Bad taste game like Mortal Kombat is not popular though.

Brute

Standard Donor
Too many words to pretend you are smart.
Too many to pretend? I guess it's a good thing I wasn't pretending. I suppose this means that there was a sufficient supply of words to alleviate any doubt that my intellect was anything but genuine.

You should really brush up on your language skills before trying to be a smart-ass.

The argument is as such:
▪I feel blood should not be part of the game, but if in final game it should be default OFF and optional.
▪someone have brain issue and take strange offense from my comment about punching girls in the face being mean, to call it sexist.
▪I say "not-punching women isn't sexist"
▪you join and say its all fiction and imply fiction means its okay to rough up women in realistic ways such as beating face to bruises and blood
▪you wish to see realism depictions in fiction because brain problems
▪however we embrace concept of fiction being fantasy, where a dainty thin kunoichi may defeat a fit JKD martial artist.
▪you must strawman and misdirect to distract that you keep digging hole insisting realistic depictions of women abuse are not meant to be understood realistically. This invalidates want for realistic depictions however. Why make fiction appear realistic if not because you want it to appear more realistic and less fictional?
This question was apparent twice before this post.
That's not an argument. It's an incorrect recollection of events where "logic" was bizarrely replaced by the term "brain issue" and you cherry-picked what qualities you consider to be acceptable based on an inconsistent definition of "realistic."

Every fictional work has realistic elements. Even the ones you like, such as past DOA games. They just have different elements of realism. You have yet to define why some are okay (breathing, different body types, etc.) while others are not (bruising, close-ups, etc.).

A counter-example (whose purpose is to directly identify a flaw in the opposing argument) is not a strawman fallacy. A counter-example is a perfectly logical method for criticizing an argument. I'm not making this up, you can read about it yourself. Research rhetoric before you throw its terms around without understanding what the hell you're talking about.

Bad taste game like Mortal Kombat is not popular though.
Mortal Kombat is actually very popular, whether you like it or not.

NewWestFan

Premium Donor
So we just going to ignore that in the past games no one in any community anywhere in the US had a problem with certain throws happening to female characters.

A bunch of necks were broken.

Tina gave other girls the knee to the face that IRL would completely shatter every bone therein.

Mila dropping hammer fists on girls faces.

Leon ground and pounding women.

Bayman being... Bayman...

Bass.......

I'm just saying the violence has always been there even if we never got split second close up face cams.

Normal

None has involved bruises or blood.

You are not just saying anything.

Many people have become confused to like that post. There was no sense.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor

I think more people are confused at what you're saying, hardly anything you say makes sense, I have to reread your posts like this one like 3-4 times to make sure I'm reading your statements correctly >_>

NewWestFan

Premium Donor

The blood is just a screen effect and the bruising looks pretty tame and superficial so far.

I'm saying that heads snapping back from throws like Tina's HiC neutral throw where she puts her knee into their head while dropping their entire weight on it feels more violent than the Break Blow face punch.

Leon tackling girls into full mount and then beating their faces in if you don't tech out is more graphic than some blood effects on the screen.

All of the Ninjas have some form of a neck breaking throw with sound effects.

All of these things portray violence in a much more in your face manner than some slight bruising and (Personally pretty cheap) blood effects on the screen. If these tame effects are all it takes to trigger some people then I dunno man.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD