Tier List?

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Is there an official community tier list for DOA4? I understand that DOA4 is despised by the community, but I still find it odd that there doesn't seem to be a tier list for it.

Maybe no one cares, but I'd like to see one, even though we'll all likely never touch this game again after DOA5 launches in just two months.

Well after some minor discussion in this thread, here's our tier list:

SS: Hayabusa, Gen Fu, Helena
S: SPARTAN-458, Ayane, Hayate, Kasumi
A: Jann Lee, Zack, Hitomi, Leon
B: Kokoro, Leifang, Ein, Tina
C: Eliot, Bass, Christie
D: Bayman
E: Tengu, La Mariposa, Brad Wong

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
There was a community tier list on the old website. However, this site was created after DOA4 stopped showing up to tournaments, so I believe it just wasn't really brought up on this site to discuss outside of a general character discussion (located here) or posting the Japanese Strategy guide's suggestion (located here)

I didn't play the game enough during its end days to accurately tell you what the tier list could possibly be so I'll leave that up to someone else.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
I found an old tier list from the tourney days awhile back. It was made by Perfect Legend though, and everyone at the website I found this at was trash talking PL, saying that he had no idea what he was talking about. Because of that, I didn't accept the list as an official "community" list since PL was the only person who worked on it, and the community disagreed with PL.

Sorry, I don't remember where I found it, but here is the list. Agree or disagree with it as you will, and maybe we can make a real community list out of it.

SS: Hayabusa, Kasumi
S: Ayane, Hayate, Spartan
A: Jann Lee, Zack, Kokoro, Helena
B: Eliot, Leifang, Gen Fu, Hitomi
C: Ein, Bass, Leon, Tengu
D: Lisa, Tina, Bayman, Christie
E: Brad Wong

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
I'd personally put Helena and Gen Fu at least in S or above based on what I've heard people say about each.

Jefffcore

Hayabusa, Helena, Gen Fu
Spartan, Ayane, Hayate, Kasumi
Jann Lee, Zack, Hitomi, Leon
Kokoro, Lei Fang, Ein, Tina
Bass, Christie
Bayman, Tengu,
Brad Wong

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Hayabusa, Helena, Gen Fu
Bass, Christie
Bayman, Tengu,
Brad Wong

Really? Why did you put Leon and Tina so high? I've never heard anything good about them. You also didn't put Eliot or Lisa on the list.

Jefffcore

Oops. My bad.

Hayabusa, Helena, Gen Fu
Eliot, Bass, Christie
Bayman
Tengu, Lisa, Brad Wong.

- Leons only downfall is speed and his 4F+P is only 8i instead of 7i. He's super safe, does crazy damage, has pretty good crushes, and great range.

- Tina is the fastest grappler, and tied for the safest character in the game. She's not really that high, just better than than the bad characters.

After the 3rd row I just started putting characters wherever; it's hard to make an accurate tier list. You've got the really good characters, the bad characters, and the ones in the middle.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Okay cool. For now I'll put that list in the first post, and hopefully we can get more input on it.

She's not really that high, just better than than the bad characters.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I just expected her to be lower for some reason. She does seem better than those placed lower than her.

After the 3rd row I just started putting characters wherever; it's hard to make an accurate tier list. You've got the really good characters, the bad characters, and the ones in the middle.

It definitely is.

X-Savior

could someone please explain to me why Eliot, Christie and Ein are bad? I think i know why but i would like an explanation. :s

Allan Paris

could someone please explain to me why Eliot, Christie and Ein are bad? I think i know why but i would like an explanation. :s

Elliot: His juggle damage is mediocre, only on HCH does he do any real damage with his juggles. He also struggles with juggling the heavier the characters get.

His mid holds give him nothing because it leaves his opponent back turned. So you have to look for high and low attacks to get good damage from his holds. His parries guarantee nothing as well.

His punish throw is also a breakable throw. His low throw is also bad because it leaves his opponent back turned and does not do any real damage.

Christie: Her damage is mediocre, she also needs HCH to dish out good damage. She struggles with juggles as well the heavier characters get.

Her holds do not deal a good amount of damage. Her low punch hold is the only hold where she can get a good source of damage from.

Her punish throw is weak and guarantees her nothing.

Ein: He is not bad, he is a mid tier character. He is very unsafe but, he makes up for that with his holds, juggle damage, and throws. You just can't play an aggressive game with him.

This is just scratching the surface with these characters. These are main reasons why they are where they are on the tier list. A deeper explanation can be given based on their specific attacks and how they work against players. I can explain Elliot a little more but, not Christie all that well. Ein is ok.

Elliot and his launching capabilities are extremely limited. Since he needs CH or HCH to get good damage from a move that launches for a juggle, this limits him to which launcher he does in situations. :3::P+K: is his best crush/launcher but most people know that and in any given stun situation they will hold it. This leaves him to mixing up with :8: :K: mid kick launcher and.....:9::K: high kick launcher. Low holds will beat :9::K: as well as high holds. So you can't rely on the kick..... So that leaves :8: :K: but this kick only gives a good launching height on HCH.

He has other launchers as well: :8::P: has launch properties but, it is a high and falls victim to low and high holds.......:3::3::P: this move is a high and mid launching attack which increases the percentage of you getting held from 33.33% to 49.99%. The mid kick is usually held. :3_::P: this is another crush/launcher he has but, it's a mid punch just like his other crush/launching punch.

These are just about all of his good to decent crushing/launching moves. If I missed one of them, it's probably not worth mentioning as tool to help rise up the tier list.

Though If you want to know those moves I can name a few: :2::K: is crush move, :6::F+K: is decent at closing space and it is safe, :6::P+K: this causes a crumple stun on CH and it's -6 on block, only punishable by neutral throws which are breakable. :6::6::K: is also good for closing in space, it is safe at max range, it's -7 on block, it also causes a sit-down stun on hit. Since it can be buffered and disguised as his OH throw motion it works well for tricking players from time to time. :3::K::P: is safe and it causes a sit-down stun on CH. None of this really helps him to strive with the better characters at the end of the day.

After a few matches against him all of his crushes and launching moves are easily telegraphed. So now you are left to playing a poking game with him and, he lacks the speed to do that solidly.

Being back turned in DOA4 means nothing because of how quickly characters can recover from it. His mid punch and kick hold leaves his opponents BT. With the game having the lot of its good attacks in the mid area he lacks at getting damage when he holds mid. The holds themselves are weak and he gets nothing from the BT situation.

I already gave a explanation on his punish throws.

X-Savior

so how exactly do eliot players play? it seems like i should just use the safe moves all the time. his :4: :P::P: mix-ups and delays are also the only things i find to be useful. How come there's no Eliot thread? XP

Jefffcore

He's only got like one safe string, he's slow, and can't punish. His best tools are holds, whether offensive or defensive.

Unless you mean why he's above the 3 below him. With his damage, ability to crush (over lisa and tengu) parries, and better launchers, I'd say he's better.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
So in other words, you can generally just mash throw while in stun and you'll win half the time.

Allan Paris

so how exactly do eliot players play? it seems like i should just use the safe moves all the time. his :4: :P::P: mix-ups and delays are also the only things i find to be useful. How come there's no Eliot thread? XP

To be successful with Elliot, you have to condition the hell out of players. Then you can begin to be annoying with him, in DOA4. Hopefully his DOA5 version turns out for the better. His :1::P::P: and his :4::P::P: are good to mix up with. Using safe moves all the time will not help, you have to condition players to play how you want them to. If the game had a better neutral game you wouldn't have to rely on string delays. Though that is another topic and I won't continue on with that one. There will be one for DOA5's Elliot, this site went up when DOA4 was done being played the majority. So there are only a few characters that have threads in DOA4 forums.

I don't think there's a thread for anyone, is there?

Just a couple characters. To name the ones I know that are here, Ayane and Christie.

I have a question... why bayman is on the D tier?

Grapplers in general in DOA4 are pretty bad characters. The game is based on speed and, speed alone. Plus the previous designer felt that wrestlers shouldn't be able to beat ninjas, and he made sure of that. So they all suck across the board in DOA4 (with exception of Tina and Leon). I will only go over Bayman's flaws that puts him so low.

Bayman: All but 3 of his grabs are normal grabs. 2 of them can be broken, his neutral grab and his low grab. The rest of his grabs are OH. So he cannot punish nor can he really utilize any of his grabs against players knowing of this weakness. Him having OH for all of his throws, makes even the unsafest characters safe against him. If the move is super unsafe then, yeah, he can get a OH off but, it is better to go for his Backbreaker throw. That throw is his other normal throw but it is i12 and cannot be used frequently because of how slow it is.

He is not a striker, he is not heavy on mix-ups, he's slow, and he is not all that safe of a character. So being the grappler that he is, he must use throws and his holds to do what he does best. His throws are not up to par, his holds are good though but, you can't rely on holding players all day. That tactic will not work against better players.

Bayman also has a ground glitch, and it happens every time you knock him down and, you press a button to tech. He will do his special wake-up OH when he gets knocked down; feet to the opponent. Bayman is getting thrown for HCH damage against betters players when they see that. I believe that's how that glitch works, Rikuto or Sorwah could explain exactly how it works.

and this. . .
So in other words, you can generally just mash throw while in stun and you'll win half the time.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Just a mention, the ground glitch is universal to characters in DOA4. It's just Bayman is the worst character affected by it with Leon coming a close second.

Basically the buffering system keeps the input of the last attack and if the opponent is put onto the ground quickly enough when held/thrown to the ground then they will do their special wake-up attack. The options are to either sit there for 2 seconds on the ground defenseless for a force-tech until the buffer clears, or push either :F:, :P:, :K:, or any macro of the three and initiate the special wake-up attack. I forget most of the instances this occurs but I believe if you pick Bass and set an Ein or Lei Fang sparring opponent to hold mid kick while you do :6::F+K: then because Bass is put on the ground feet towards the opponent then any button you press will do his :F+K: special wake-up.

Why does this affect Leon and Bayman the worst? Because their special wake-ups are offensive hold throws which are easily punishable and hit a standing opponent. Additionally, due to their OH setups they'll be using the F+P buttons a lot which means they'll generally be sent to the ground with F+P in the buffer system. The opponent can literally crouch and wait half a second to see what to do.

An example:
Bayman goes for an offensive hold on Hayate in the Dance Club.
Hayate does :4::F+P: to get Hi-Counter throw damage with ground danger zone and positioning of standing in front of Bayman's feet facing up.
Bayman presses :F:, :P:, :K:, or any other button while Hayate does :2::F+P:
Bayman does his OH wake-up and is hi-counter thrown into the wall with danger zone damage

Another example is Bayman and Leon
Bayman does :F+P: to Leon's OH with Bayman's back to the wall.
Anything Leon does on the ground besides sit idle will have Leon do his tackle OH special wake-up so Bayman can just F+P again and throw Leon back into the same loop.

ErickBello

Just a mention, the ground glitch is universal to characters in DOA4. It's just Bayman is the worst character affected by it with Leon coming a close second.

Why does this affect Leon and Bayman the worst? Because their special wake-ups are offensive hold throws which are easily punishable and hit a standing opponent. Additionally, due to their OH setups they'll be using the F+P buttons a lot which means they'll generally be sent to the ground with F+P in the buffer system. The opponent can literally crouch and wait half a second to see what to do.

Another example is Bayman and Leon
Bayman does :F+P: to Leon's OH with Bayman's back to the wall.
Anything Leon does on the ground besides sit idle will have Leon do his tackle OH special wake-up so Bayman can just F+P again and throw Leon back into the same loop.

Now I agree completely with some people on why they dropped DOA4
Thanks for the Explanation Wah and Allan, it's really appreciated.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Also forgot to mention that the special wake-up OHs don't grab crouching opponents so the standing opponent can do a low throw and then if it whiffs over an idle opponent still do a low attack like :1::P: or :2::K:.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
Yeah, as a Leon player, I've suffered from the ground glitch many times before. I didn't fully understand how it works, but I know I'm in for trouble when Leon suddenly starts to tackle when I didn't want him to.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD