A Brute Perspective on Sidestepping

GarryJaune

Fuzzy can be completed into a low block. That's kinda one of the key points of fuzzy is to create a scenario to block low or high against a character that can cancel/string into either. Ducking throws is just a plus to it in DoA's throw system. You don't SS after Hitomi's 6T. That's just dumb. Block her tracking strings and punish her.

Again, ya'll give way too much credit to her 6T.
dude,why not just try this sweep out?I can ensure you that all SLOW low sweep could hit fuzzy guard.
and hitomi has a 7 frames 4T as a punish tho.
Yeah her 6T is not the point,the point is you are crying a strong enough character is weak.That why peole argued with you.your examples are so wrong,like Zack‘s ’6T.
this grab was fucked up in early DOA6(before 1.02),everytime he grab a 6T,he can't just have that 2 guaranteed PP mindlessly due to SS, only 2 options he can get SS are PPP and PPH leaving his opponent a frame advantage,if he free cancel or try to punch-grab,he will be hit by SS,yet you thought this grab is better lol

dude,just play more the game,at least try more characters:p

PS:mad:Brute I think Marie players won't care too much SS cause she got 66T OH lol

Y
Virtua Fighter? or you mean just the 3D virtual fighting in general? well DOA is one of the unique ones to having a universal hold system. So you want it to be unique or not unique? pick one.

I meant Virtua Fighter, as in I don't want to see holds in that game.... if it ever comes back that is, I like the hold system and DOA but they do feel underwhelming and weaker in 6, at least to me initially.

It's off topic and I don't expect game developers to play all other fighting games, but Virtua Fighter FinalShow Down was better off for tonning down the Side step attacks which I found overpowering in it's vanilla version. At least in my scrubby opinion. Edit: That's if my memory is serving me right. Any VF's here can back me up on that statement?

Raansu

dude,why not just try this sweep out?I can ensure you that all SLOW low sweep could hit fuzzy guard.
and hitomi has a 7 frames 4T as a punish tho.
Yeah her 6T is not the point,the point is you are crying a strong enough character is weak.That why peole argued with you.your examples are so wrong,like Zack‘s ’6T.
this grab was fucked up in early DOA6(before 1.02),everytime he grab a 6T,he can't just have that 2 guaranteed PP mindlessly due to SS, only 2 options he can get SS are PPP and PPH leaving his opponent a frame advantage,if he free cancel or try to punch-grab,he will be hit by SS,yet you thought this grab is better lol

dude,just play more the game,at least try more characters:p

PS:mad:Brute I think Marie players won't care too much SS cause she got 66T OH lol

I don't think Hitomi sucks. I think some of her tools suck. 6T is terrible imo. Hitomi herself is probably low/mid B tier. And I do play other characters.

NewWestFan

Premium Donor
you don't think hitomi sucks but a low&B tier character
OK:p
Low/Mid B tier isn't bad. I don't know why you feel the need to be snarky here. Some of my favorite fighting game characters of all time are B tiers in their respective games. Nyotengu is B tier in DOA6 too as a matter of fact. I think Raansu is correct, I'm not some super duper pro player with 6 tournament wins under my belt or anything but I never sigh in frustration when Hitomi shows up. Not like Tina, NiCO or Hayabusa.

HumbleGamer

The fact that we are even entertaining that Hitomi is a character that has terrible tools in DOA 6 is laughable. The point I was making is some characters are able to effectively counter the SSA barrage as opposed to others. Everyone feels so attacked when you say "oh, your character -insert statement-".

TRI Mike

I think it’s way too early to start complaining about the SSA being too good. It kinda pisses me off that so many people, even experienced players from past games in the series, are whining about it on social media and it might result on TN going back to Doa5 SS which was kinda bad.

If it’s true that characters like Marie or Eliot have a hard time dealing with SS because of their lack of tracking, that’s a balance issue that needs to be solved by giving them tracking. Not by destroying the new system which to me, is perfectly fine. It makes us play “footsies” more and be scared of tracking moves.

I’m sure a lot of you already know this but SSA in DOA6 are all -15 on block, so you can use your strongest throw for free and also, everyone ‘s first Fatal Rush hit leaves a side stepping opponent stunned AND BACK TURNED, which can be followed up with any character’s “limbo stun” like Honoka’s 3P+K into a full 40% life combo or more.

Raansu

having a 6T that leaves the opponent standing and grants frame advantage is a great tool =/

Except, ya know, the big fat guess that follows it and only does 35 damage. I'd much rather have the options Mila has with the free k into an unblockable string mixup off a 45 damage throw setup. At least in that situation the defender is pretty much forced to make a read. Against Hitomi's 6T there aint much of a threat. Watch for throws and block any attack she does and now you got advantage.

you don't think hitomi sucks but a low&B tier character
OK:p

B tier isn't even remotely bad.....

LeiFang009

SS is too powerful I feel. The reward for doing it is much better than the risk of getting hit while doing it. When I see my opponent spamming it, I do spam it as well but the match gets REALLY ugly at that point. Not really fun. Imo they should decrease the damage of it at least or reduce the push back. The new SS is good in general for comebacks but just needs a little bit of nerf. That's all. Spamming it shouldn't be that rewarding.

NightAntilli

The SS itself is fine. The issue is that DOA is a mess regarding natural combo strings. It should evade whatever is in the natural combo string, and re-track afterwards, or, re-track if it's a delayed input. Obviously, natural combo strings need to be tweaked.
Then again, that would be a lot like VF5, still the best 3D fighter out there in terms of mechanics.

As for the attack... Not an issue really. It's heavily negative on block. The knockback is there to not give too much advantage to the one doing the sidestep. It's fine, considering how evasive it is.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor
I don’t understand why characters natural side step moves/stances are so fucking shitty in comparison.

Yeah, I've noticed. Christie's JAK gets stuffed pretty easily in DOA6, to the point that I don't bother with it outside of combos/pressure and just use the universal sidestep instead. However, if sidesteps such as JAK were just as potent as the universal sidestep, people would bitch about that too.

I think back in the DOA5 era someone predicted that people in the DOA community would bitch if SS ever got buffed. Looks like they were right. IMO, the sidestep and sidestep attack are fine. There are ways to deal with the SSA, and it can get blown up potentially badly on read or block with some exploration. In the Jan. beta I got smacked around by the SSA alot, but by DOA6's release, I rarely ever got smacked by the SSA to the point of losing rounds because of it. I always adapted and discouraged my opponent from SSA's, which is satisfying in itself. Although I'm not against characters like Eliot getting some buffed anti-step (though he's still a strong-ass character, don't get me wrong), but please don't nerf the SS in DOA6. I HATED DOA5's SS system and retracking bullshit.

Goarmagon

Standard Donor
I dont want to sound like a pompous dick here but have some of you looked into creating/learning some side step punish combos? When used correctly the sidestep in this game can keep some pressure strings honest. I think its a bit much to demand that the SS gets nerfed because you keep letting people abuse it.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD