Anti-Rachel strats, tips, and tricks thread.

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
It's certainly possible to block 17f on reaction, but to expect that level of focus every time she jabs is pretty insane. 17f is near the limit of reaction time during a game, unless you're assuming that's the ONLY option you need to worry about, and it's not.

It's certainly possible to block 17f on reaction, but to expect that level of focus every time she jabs is pretty insane. 17f is near the limit of reaction time during a game, unless you're assuming that's the ONLY option you need to worry about, and it's not.
17f is only reactable if it's a move that you are looking out for or you are hcing something, if you aren't expecting a move most likely you should be able to react about 22f not including moves that don't have a distinct animation.

Btw to constantly react to a 17f move, you must be able to react at 0.28s or quicker.

Dior

Wow, now I'm scared.

Drake Aldan

Should I make a new thread?
Probably would be best to make a wiki page like XZero264's work with Leon.
17f?! Are yall Superman?!
My low blocking doesn't get consistent until 30f!

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
17f is only reactable if it's a move that you are looking out for or you are hcing something, if you aren't expecting a move most likely you should be able to react about 22f not including moves that don't have a distinct animation.

Btw to constantly react to a 17f move, you must be able to react at 0.28s or quicker.
I can block 19f overheads in 2D games consistently and I have a friend who blocks 17f overheads nearly every time. It's not impossible if you practise. It's just really exhausting keeping up that amount of focus. As I said, 17f is around the limit even if your reaction time is good.

I can block 19f overheads in 2D games consistently and I have a friend who blocks 17f overheads nearly every time. It's not impossible if you practise. It's just really exhausting keeping up that amount of focus. As I said, 17f is around the limit even if your reaction time is good.
I know I can react to 17f 70% of the time, but not everyone will be able to do it, the average time is 22f I think.

Drake Aldan

Post your average reaction time and I'll tell you what you can react to.
0.261 seconds.

I don't really like this sort of thing either, since it's just a click... It doesn't account for input errors, mental pressure, animation similarities, etc., etc....

A Soul Calibur player from Hong Kong told me some years ago, that moves under 20 frames were basically going to be impossible to react to... Moves under 25 would be very difficult. I find I can block a 24 frame low if I'm lucky and "hot" that day.

Reacting to something 17 frames... would mean throws would be useless in Calibur. I've never seen that before.

Itz King Beebop

Tekken players block any low that's 20i or more, so you're going to telling me DOA players (the same ones that punish 6i-7i moves) can't block a low until it's 30i?

StrikerSashi

Premium Donor
That's not a very good test, honestly. There's with Milia from Guilty Gear, that's more realistic.

EDIT: Found it.

EDIT: Nevermind, it's offline. :v

EDIT: Okay, found a mirror.

Last edited:
0.261 seconds.

I don't really like this sort of thing either, since it's just a click... It doesn't account for input errors, mental pressure, animation similarities, etc., etc....

A Soul Calibur player from Hong Kong told me some years ago, that moves under 20 frames were basically going to be impossible to react to... Moves under 25 would be very difficult. I find I can block a 24 frame low if I'm lucky and "hot" that day.

Reacting to something 17 frames... would mean throws would be useless in Calibur. I've never seen that before.
20f, about 17f if you are hcing
@Dior 21, about 18 if you are hcing.

Tekken players block any low that's 20i or more, so you're going to telling me DOA players (the same ones that punish 6i-7i moves) can't block a low until it's 30i?
yeah from about 17f, but good luck reacting to Julia's 4~2,1, It's just familiarizing yourself with the string, of course some moves are unseeable, annas fc df+2 in tekken is 27+f but you can't see a distinct animation.

Itz King Beebop

I will agree however that this statement is not true 100% of the time, but when I played my friend in Japan, he blocked many of my lows (21I or more) majority of the time

Drake Aldan

so you're going to telling me DOA players (the same ones that punish 6i-7i moves) can't block a low until it's 30i?
Hold on now, that's different. With a punish you're given the entire execution of the move to recognize it, from startup to active frames to recovery, so you have more than enough time to punish (unless you're dealing with a string). It just happens to be timing/buffering it correctly then.

And I didn't say all DOA players, I said my personal experience is that I don't get rock-solid low blocking until 30 frames. Of course this gets worse under pressure, being tired, or in lag (which honestly I consider all being the same thing, but that's just me.)

20f, about 17f if you are hcing
I wish. I certainly cannot react to Kasumi's 6P2K/PP2K or Hitomi's 1K6P2K/6K2K/etc. or even her 2P+K2K without preparation.

That, and there are a million other things to be thinking about during the fight; normally when I get to the point where I ready myself and keep my eyes open it never comes and I end up wasting my energy.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD