Bayman Q/A

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
thing is i remember when DOA5 was coming out Rikuto used it instead of the ground grab on some occasions. im curious to know why. ive done it quite often and the interesting thing is ive been able to grab after it too. i think it fuck ups the persons perception of when to get upmore so than his grab

There might be more use to it then I had ever managed to discover. Like I said, that was from my personal experience with the move. I certainly hope there's something to it that I never found that actually makes it worth doing. I always hated not having a down attack as Bayman.

dawgpilez

(Playing Vanilla DoA5)

I'm still having issues adapting to DoA5 from 4. I really don't like that knee drop Bayman does on a downed opponent when I want to do :2: :K: for that low kick instead of the :1: :K: version. That, and I'm not as confident in move execution as I was in 4. I want to work on knowing a series of 2 hit strings that keep things varied as to not be countered (mid punch being an all-time fav). I've started using :H+K: to mix it up. I can't help wanting to toss out PP since 6P w/o fail gets countered. I don't also like going through entire combos to get to a low attack since the low hits seems to stagger on a normal hit.

What are some good BnB strings I can start trying to adapt to so I can get out of the habit of playing with the moves from DoA4 minus complete strings? I enjoy 8P so good and 4P feels better than in DoA4, but the COMP counters that relentlessly.

Mind you, I'm playing mostly against the computer since there are very few...no one online.

I used to use tank roll when I first played this game. Now, I don't even use tank wheel. I feel like after coming back to this game, I can't play Bayman anymore. I don't even both with OH b/c the COMP forcasts that for HC throws as much as Awesmic used to do on me back in DoA4 :(

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
Don't worry man I had the same issues with him when I first popped in DOA5 you get used to it.

Mixing up with H+K is good but for mix ups use his 6k knee it comes out faster. his strong knee is something I try to use while they're in stun to limbo stun them if not then go for a launch,a CB, bait a counter, or 3k,roll,throw . there use his

When you get a limbo or CB stun use 7k,pp to get some decent damage if you don't feel comfortable enough trying to juggle as the 7k string you literally CANNOT MISS fucking love that move.

3k,roll,throw is surprisingly useful though make sure to hit confirm them first don't want to do that shit on block.

If you don't want to use the 2k then ground grab and prepare for the wake up or GTFO with his roll. Enemies have a lot of invulnerability on the ground I don't even think his low kicks can hit them.

If you want to play Bayman ya gotta abuse his tank roll grab that's like Bayman 101

Also turn on throw down while you are in arcade mode you should get plenty of online fighters. You get lag sometimes but it's better than the computer reading your inputs and countering a frame before your hit connects.

I'm no Bayman expert but this is just a few things that work for me.

dawgpilez

Use the shit out of 6P+K (66P+K in vanilla).

I'm going to need to do that. Idk what move it is. I've transitioned from the analog to the pad as I don't have the control I have in DoA4 with this game.

I am liking 6K. I always liked it. I wish :bayman: had a combo 6k3k where he does a love toe tap like in his 1kk combo. I really like P+K when they are grounded, but I'm trying not to use that as apparently it doesn't hit downed people in 5U (WHYYY???)

Getting back mid punch hold punishing with good ole :426::H+P:. I still love seeing it and since too many of :bayman: moves still are mid punch heavy, I try not to use them much. I use them only after a punish since many... MANY people hold mid punch or low. against me (they hold low b/c everyone does that to duck high's... but that doesn't really work on the strings I use).

I really don't like his 9K (I think it is that one... the lousy looking full soccerball kick), but I does hit on downed. I've been using 8P to hit downed. I love that move.... like IN LOVE with it. I was upset that they got rid of the original on in Doa4 (the inverted mach punch to the ground), but it works the same way and is more :bayman: in terms of double-axe handle attacks. I'm getting much better at not completing combos. Most of this would come from practicing in training and trying strings out on the cpu to get critical burst. Man I love pulling that off even though I don't really like that DoA now has power moves. I liked when it was straight up fighting with no supers.

I'm not too keen on how to start matches when someone rushes down before start. I can 8PK to throw once maybe twice if they aren't good. I've tried 3P and :3_::P: as well. Sometimes 1P since without fail they spam P or a faster mid P than I have. Should I trying blocking at the start? What are some good leading attacks?

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
I'm going to need to do that. Idk what move it is.

I don't remember the advantage in vanilla, but in 5U, it's a +9 GB.

I really like P+K when they are grounded, but I'm trying not to use that as apparently it doesn't hit downed people in 5U (WHYYY???)

They massively nerfed forced techs in general in 5U. Bayman wasn't the only one hit by it.

I really don't like his 9K (I think it is that one... the lousy looking full soccerball kick)

He doesn't have that move in 5U. 9K was replaced by his WR K and he was given a new WR K, which is a NH launching mid.

I'm not too keen on how to start matches when someone rushes down before start. I can 8PK to throw once maybe twice if they aren't good. I've tried 3P and :3_::P: as well. Sometimes 1P since without fail they spam P or a faster mid P than I have. Should I trying blocking at the start? What are some good leading attacks?

You have expert holds. Sometimes it can be good to just make a guess and start with an expert hold. Don't do it all the time though, or else you can start the round eating a Hi Counter Throw.

dawgpilez

I don't remember the advantage in vanilla, but in 5U, it's a +9 GB.

You have expert holds. Sometimes it can be good to just make a guess and start with an expert hold. Don't do it all the time though, or else you can start the round eating a Hi Counter Throw.

HOLY CRAP! 66p+k is a GB! I've been doing it ALL WRONG! I don't like the input in vanilla (it could have been 6p+K from the start).

I'm trying to get into the habit of using 4p+k. I like the move. It crushes Highs right?

Last edited:

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
lol yeah you use it in command training and your like "thats it?", sure didnt look like a guard break so i never thought to try it for the longest time.

don't believe it does, but it has some good range and stun, great for opening up the opponent.

dawgpilez

It doesn't crush Highs (it should). But I guess that's where I fill those moves in with OHs.

I keep having trouble getting up. Ppl with down throws keep looping it. I'm mashing every button known to man and I keep getting stuck on the ground. Idk if it's lag or whatever. Mila and Tina players in particular and being cycling down throws. The heck am i doing wrong?

Last edited:
I keep having trouble getting up. Ppl with down throws keep looping it. I'm mashing every button known to man and I keep getting stuck on the ground. Idk if it's lag or whatever. Mila and Tina players in particular and being cycling down throws. The heck am i doing wrong?
:4::h: in the right time.

dawgpilez

Question about Bayman's options against when downed and the opponent hops/teleports around him.

I remember this in Doa4. It's normally a tactic for ninjas and Lisa. I realized that I can parry. I would expect the player to be on the offensive. I don't think Bayman has an attack that would come out fast enough for crush the popular strings. I don't remember, I don't believe 1pp works backturned. If it does, that's cool. If not... it would be cool if it did.

What are the prevailing tactics in this situation? A freestep geddup? Parry? Mash block like a fiend?

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
It would really come down to blatant guessing, I'd say. BT 2K and BT 2P will crush highs. You can also use your BT parries or BT OH, though I don't see the OH working in many situations. One move that I found helpful sometimes was BT K. It's (I believe) his fastest BT move, being i14. It is, however, a high.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
Or you could just press block he'll automatically turn around. This is the best move if they initiate the BT themselves as they will usually be too close to do much of anything.

The BT grab is best for punishing 2P+Kers, leg grab at the right time to move out of harm then get up and grab.

Sly Bass

Premium Donor
Might anyone happen to know the height # range in which :3::K::3::P+K::H+P: connects for a juggle? While Bayman has simple juggles, knowing the sweet spot will help me in my decision making.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
Might anyone happen to know the height # range in which :3::K::3::P+K::H+P: connects for a juggle? While Bayman has simple juggles, knowing the sweet spot will help me in my decision making.

Put the opponent into critical stun then press that you can easily gauge the distance that way. Just going to let you know I was messing with that awhile back and I couldn't for the life of me find another guaranteed situation with it, the ones I've found will guarantee a 2h+p but when they get pushed further out to where that would be an option it becomes techable.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD