Community Closing of the Casual Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kronin

I agree with what said by @EMPEROR_COW and if something I believe that the problem of the casual thread was that various times it ended to become a real casual one (in the meaning that people started to talk about things not part of the casual side of DoA, but just generally). Very likely it would be necessary a slighty major organization and self-limit on the off topic, but something that hardly can be done from the mods operating on the thread but that rather should start from the same users posting on it: something for making of the thread less a chat and more a topic about the general casual world of DoA, however too much rules could even go against the purpose to use it, so the problem is not simple.

Forgive me if I'm wrong (far from me to want say things that aren't true, so please correct me if this is the case), but in addition to the reasons exposed by @Mr. Wah , @CyberEvil and @Brute that I read in these days and in the last months and about which Emperor has already argumented, I think that in general a such thread it's always been seen as a bad thing additionally even because in the end going against the starting principles of FSD being oriented to a competitive crows: I remember an old post of @Rikuto where he said that even having making concessions to the people aiming for some casual discussions on the thread (he was saying it in times pre-casual thread), it was necessary to remember that the site remained aimed to the competitive discussion of DoA.

Personally I believe that in all this time, casual thread being the most active of the site or less, the site showned the evidence to keep the flag of place where the Western fans of DoA can go if want really learn and improve in the technical matters of the game. I don't think that the existence or less of the casual is enough to deviate the attention of the old or new users of this site from the competitive matter, neither to associate the fame of FSD to the casual discussion.

I don't want beat a dead horse so this is just a suggestion, but personally I think that would be more productive for the site to open again the thread rather than closing it, this time setting specific direct rules and guidelines for addressing the behavior of the users posting there (for making the first examples coming in my mind, from to not talk of news before to see posted a related article on the main page, to a list of arguments that should be avoided). But of course you have to do what you think is the best for the community, so no one can force anyone and have to respect your decision.

I hope to not appear biased with my words: you know pretty well that I'm for the most a casual fan of the DoA series and that I was really active in that thread, however this has never prevented me to go to read the technical threads of the site (where I'm not competent for posting something useful) for trying to improve at least of a little my knowledge of the game. I'm really interested in that matter too, only I believe to not have the right mindset for being good, said this I continue to be interested to technical guides, tricks for specific moves or more simple the knowledge of the basis of the DoA mechanics (what I really need), exactly as I can be interested to the work of TN on Rig's peculiar eyebrown.

I wanted just make know my opinion on the matter, like always these are my 2 cents and so pretty far from the absolute truth.

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I also fully agree with what Emperor Cow said! I'm one of those more casual players, that just want to have a little fun and talk randomly about DOA. Searching through all the different forums and topics to find an interesting, recent discussion is a pain right now.
Back then, I was so glad, that I found Freestepdodge and the casual thread. I came about a year and a half over from DOAworld, which is supposed to be the more casual forum, but I found people there kinda unfriendly and bitchy. You guys here are much more cooler! :D So after about half a year just reading on this site, I wanted to take part in here too and registered eventually.
As crazy as it sounds, but without the casual thread, I probably wouldn't be here on this site or any DOA community site. And even though I'm not a hardcore, tournament player, I believe, I too enrich this forum's community in one way or the other.

Saber

You're basically making an already niche site about an already niche game with an already niche community even more niche than before. Closing the casual thread alienates a hefty portion of the community who isn't as "hardcore" or "into the game". What's wrong with being "casual" (god I hate this term) and simply enjoying the game as it is? It's all in good fun, and sure, arguments pop up, but really, does it make it all bad? Of course not. A lot of people just want the game to be what a game is supposed to be - fun, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Don't prove to that the FSD community is elitist, because it's not. You guys know better, and if you say 99% of the time arguments pop up, then it's really just moderators not doing their job thoroughly enough. They should be on alert whenever an argument pops up to control the situation and send warnings to those that are involved.

I myself am a moderator on multiple forums. I know exactly how hard it is trying to keep things under control, but this is not the way to do it. Really, one solution would be to hire a moderator exclusively for that thread of the DOA General section. That should be enough to take care of it.

Last edited:

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
For the record, I didn't lock the thread. I kept it open out of respect for cow for as long as it was open even though I have disliked the thread and its purpose since the beginning. That's because its a glorified chat room and a pain in the ass to moderate. For every good conversation going on in there, the moderators had to moderate two out-of-hand conversations, far too often. We'd get just as many complaints from people leaving the community over that "^_^" thread.

With that said, I support my moderators and staff and if they felt it should finally be locked then it will remain locked until they are convinced it should return.

Edit: the purpose of the board was to generally discuss the game. If you want to start a topic of discussion, post a new topic. Its not like posting a topic is behind a paywall or is anymore difficult than replying generally to an existing topic.

I don't know, as fun as the Casual Thread was, there has always been problems with it. A lot of the conversations have been random and not about DOA. And news posted on the C.T. was usually already posted on the home page; people just automatically went the the C.T. thread because that was the only thread they went to. There were positives, like people just relaxing and not having to worry about the more technical aspects of DOA, but when I went to the thread, it always had the same pattern. New costumes/info would come out specifically for the girls, people would complain about how the game was sexist and stopped being a fighting game, the other side would say its all okay because other fighting games focused on sex appeal. Then moderators/Brute would have to give out a shit ton of warnings until the arguments stopped, then it would go back to random things not pertaining to DOA. It was just a huge mess. Plus users could make or use other threads that people can comment on without there being much arguments by making the topics more specific. I don't see why it would be a problem with making another C.T. where people talked strictly about DOA or something. Honestly, I'm surprised the C.T. stayed unlocked for as long as it had. I'm pretty sure Brute was just nice enough to keep it open despite having to give the same warnings everyday. Yes moderators should be doing their "job" by squashing arguments, but when most of the thread consists of flame wars over the littlest things, why would they keep the thread open?

People are displeased that the casual thread was closed down, but I think it was for a good reason. I don't think closing the C.T. was an "attack" on the casuals; it was just the fact that it was somewhat toxic and chaotic, making people rage hard and stuff. If people want another C.T. rather than using the other resources to make something else work, I think certain guidelines need to be made so it won't have as many problems as the last one. Just my two cents though, I think I'm just spewing out random stuff right about now :p

werewolfgold

I'll be the first to admit that the Casual thread got argumentative and angry at times. But, in all honestly, if people are going to argue about a given topic, then it's just going to happen in one of the smaller themed topics that Wah is suggestion that people make.

While I think that it is good to have focused topics, something a little more organic and freeform has its place, too. Sometimes, points of interest intersect with each other. The problem is that it is definitely a terrible place to try to pinpoint a specific piece of info and I remember redundant questions being asked. So, we would have to make sure that important bits of info still get their own space. But, I think it did function slightly better than something that would happen in chat. And EC does have a point about time zones and the limitations of chat and such.

But, I think a major point is that sometimes something humorous will come up of small interest that wouldn't really require a full topic of its own. Or if it did, it would have, like, 2 replies. It might be good to have something to house things like that. But, maybe random throwaway topics are okay, too.

I dunno. I'm flexible, though. We can probably make it work however things go from here.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I knew this would turn into another discussion on it as soon as it was split off, so here are some fun bits of information!

1) I closed the Casual thread. Brute was in the middle of posting something so it looked an awful lot like he did, but it wasn't him. I think he might've shortly after that anyway though because shit was getting stupid.

2) As Mr. Wah said, moderating that thread is unbelievably stupid and frustrating to deal with because there is no clear direction. The amount of reports we were getting from that thread for abusive posts and thread derailment was absurd at many points during its far too long lifespan. It's all fine and good to think you don't need a thread moderated until members light up the report system like the Crash Club.

3) Originally, you joined this site as a DoA fan. Something made you choose to click that register button and complete the process, and it wasn't the promise of an unfocused clusterfuck of a thread. Think on that for a moment.

4) Absolutely nothing is stopping you from having on-topic conversations of a casual nature in other threads. Nothing at all. If you want to go off-topic and respond to something, take it to an actual Conversation (PM). You can invite multiple people to them, you can leave them when you no longer want to see them, and moderators never see them unless we're invited to one. They're treated just like a thread and you can use that instead of the chat room if you feel like your time zone makes it too hard to enter the chat.

5) Speaking on the chat room, when there is a tournament we have dozens of people come online in the chat. If people come together in numbers like that for a tournament, then I wonder why people aren't coming together just for fun chats? Seriously nothing holding you back and supposedly casual-minded members are so large in number that they need an entire thread because the rest of the site is too intimidating. Food for thought. Also worth pointing you to number four up there again.

I'm going to lock this discussion soon too. It's not a conversation that we'll keep having. If you have additional ideas on how a similar thread could be created that wouldn't run into all the same issues, message a member of the staff directly.

Malibu

As a admin and staff of other forums that were large scale i can see where you're coming from but at the same token it's a mistake i made as well. We had a thread just like the casual thread on my forum and it I thought i'd boost activity in other sections but it didn't in fact it only made the situation worse. We had to realize that the people in that thread where there for a reason. Because they didnt want to take part in the other discussions. As angry as it made us it was just the realization that we had to come to.

i get it trust me i do, you have such a large forum with so much information on each character, their match ups, frame data. All that lovely stuff and everyone just sits in one thread. Feels like a waste huh? Well let me say this, It's not. A forum's job is to do what? House a community right? The casual thread was doing just that, it was making the community whole, Sure there were literally the same arguments about the same thing literally EVERYDAY. It's either people endlessly complaining about costumes or people complaining of over sexuality. and yea it can get annoying for a mod hell it can get annoying to the average member because when i'd check the thread and people would be bickering about the same issue over and over again i'd just close the page and go somewhere else. But see that's where rules need to come into effect. Infractions need to be given and lock outs need to be put into place. 3 warnings on a subject then an infraction. 3-4 infractions = a week ban. if you want to be nice you can just lock them out of seeing that thread for a week, ( it's in the XF Admin Control Panel ) If such arguments will continue to be a thing then maybe since people like their voices to be heard not just one on one in PM why not just create a debate section? for DOA issues and Civil Discussions. Where they can make a thread about " Is DOA Oversexualized" and argue it all the live long day. It would not be breaking rules because it would be on topic, and the only time mod's would have to step in is if flame war's started which if we can all remain Civil in a debate it should not happen ( but this is the internet where everyone is right and you're always wrong)

i mean i came to FSD by complete mistake a year ago and i never posted until last month. i used to just come here and watch videos. But when i decided to finally post here the casual thread was where i felt the most comfortable. I did learn to branch out and visit other sections to post in due to the thread being closed that much is true but that's just me i can't speak for any other members that dont' have that desire to go seek out things like that. Some people just wanna hang out talk about random match they just had, share some laughs some gif's and go back to training. They don't wanna have a in depth discussion about frame data and match up practice they just wanna say " ugh fuck kasumi" and keep it moving. ( and before you say post it in the " character i hate fighting thread" i agree they could do that but i think they think it will lead to a full on conversation that they may not what to have. I know i regret even posting in that thread because i was told it's online and i should just deal with it or play offline. that really upset me and turned me off that thread completely.

Fact is, you may think you're helping by keeping it closed, you're not you're only hurting your cause. It's like Saber said above.

You're basically making an already niche site about an already niche game with an already niche community even more niche than before. Closing the casual thread alienates a hefty portion of the community who isn't as "hardcore" or "into the game".

Some people just don't want to be that into it to actively GO to other sections and as Staff your job is to foster nurture and help the community grow, not lock it in it's room and throw away the key when it gets annoying. I'm saying this as as Fellow Admin and staff because i know the struggle. and closing this thread as well isnt the right way to handle it.

Talk to you soon lovelies

tumblr_nagx3xMqfp1tot62wo1_500.gif

Adamleelight

Don't really see the point of closing it to be honest, it's a casual thread see it as a social club where people go to hang out. It's just easier for some people to browse through the conversations and feel more comfortable to post there instead of specifically staying to a topic in the more in-depth places for the game.

Casual means casual for a reason its for everyone and anyone.

Yeah your gonna get people bickering back and forth but that comes with the territory. You're only just leaving people with a sour taste in their mouth by closing it.

Not everyone has the urge to argue, so its unfair on people who feel comfortable in a casual talk setting, you have to see it through the eyes of different individuals.

Yeah you could say go to the chatroom, but its hard to put it like that cuz not everyone wants to talk in a chatroom, threads are for everyone to look at and can go back to look at while a chat room is a live there and then sort of thing. So it aint the same. Also some people just don't feel comfortable in that setting for some reason.

Argentus

My biggest issue is now I don't even feel like posting anymore.

Y'all say to make a thread for new discussions but we all know that it wouldn't work that way. If we actually made a thread every time we wanted to say something it would just be a flood of new threads being CONSTANTLY locked.

As for spreading people out....all that's happened now is that the casual chatter is taking over other threads instead, due to a current lack of a thread to just TALK. Currently the hair thread, last round new content thread, and costume contest thread are becoming mini casual threads in the wake of the loss of the casual thread.

On people complaining about arguments.... fuck it its the casual thread. Just like you just ACCEPT that south park can be offensive, rather than complaining you just don't watch it. Mod of they start hurling racial slurs and what not but otherwise let em argue for a page or two, it'll go away there was like what 1500 pages?

I understand the immediate reason for closing it, but I don't think it was a good idea in the long term.

Xhominid The Demon Within

Alright, due to one of my conversations on there was POSSIBLY the reason it got locked(as well as the fact that I'm usually the one that gets those convos heated up either through negligence or stubbornness), I do have to agree on both sides, so I'll play Devil's Advocate at the moment.

On one hand, Brute, Wah and Cyber has a point, the Casual Thread usually goes nuts way too much and I'd rather they not be stressed correcting flame wars over dumb things. It's usually better to completely end things rather than continue them and watch a massive split happen because things got way too heated and people don't want to forgive because of arrogance/stubbornness. And the fact that more people visited the Casual Thread rather than try pitching in at all on any part of the site can definitely feel like a bad itch, especially for a competitive site overall.

...BUT, on the other hand, as Argentus stated, I feel that without a Casual Thread, there's barely any reason for me to frequent here...
DO NOT get me wrong, I definitely visited Nyo's thread and learned up about her more than anything else due to the loss of said thread, but I also feel that without it, it's just gonna start bleeding into other threads(considering how hard is it to get DOA news, this is a bad thing), which will get them locked and so on and so forth until people just LEAVE. And I suck at using chatrooms period, so that option is just plain not on that table for me.
And as for participating in character discussions...How? I have definitely played the series since DOA2H all the way to DOA5U, but I have never played the game seriously enough to even tell you about frame data, combo potential, spacing, weaving, etc. until a year ago, how can I contribute compared to the likes of Forlorn, Emperor Cow, Rikuto, Master and god knows how many others I didn't mention who carried this community on it's back? Make some stupidly hideous mistakes like I did in the chat at Summer Jam 8? I'll be virtually saying nonsense so there's no point for me to contribute because I know others will get it far better than I do because they experiment far better than I can.

Basically, I do believe the Casual Thread should reopen because without that, there will be barely a reason to keep coming here past simply looking for news and making sure I exist here.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
The ultimate FSD fight that has been brewing forever the casuals vs the Mods over the fate of the casual thread. This page alone equals a chapter in some books

Yurlungur

I don't personally believe the casual thread was as awful as it was intended to be, it's more or less certain individuals who also seem to blow it up out of proportion (i admit i'm guilty of this a few times especially with the towel dlc fiasco)

Here are some points to prove why we need something similar to it
  • News, 9 times out of 10 hit that thread first.
  • Any questions asked in that thread got answered quickly (Ie: how does this work, when is nyo-tengu, ect.)
  • I'll use @Malibu as an example, people come into the thread sometimes wanting to know how to play characters or learn from people and because of that I ended up helping her
  • It was a place where you could meet people and just chill and a good portion of the time it was a friendly environment
  • I just suggest the mods be stricter if it does come back, I personally miss a lot of people's posts because reading them gave me a good laugh and made this site more enjoyable
  • Threads are not simply opened for asking 1 question because it becomes extremely pointless. Why would i make a thread saying "what's the proper release date of blah blah blah", it just becomes very frivolous
If it does come around again I just suggest mods become a lot harsher with how they deal with things.

Brute

Standard Donor
  • I'll use @Malibu as an example, people come into the thread sometimes wanting to know how to play characters or learn from people and because of that I ended up helping her
That is something that should be addressed in other areas. For example, this would be a logical place to start.

David Gregg

• News, 9 times out of 10 hit that thread first.
  • Threads are not simply opened for asking 1 question because it becomes extremely pointless. Why would i make a thread saying "what's the proper release date of blah blah blah", it just becomes very frivolous.
Well this may not provide everything you're looking for but I've created this thread (with permission by mods) for the tweets/hints/news that aren't important enough for a new thread as well as give people the opportunity to input their own predictions and speculations for LR.

http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/doa5lr-tweets-speculations-rumors-etc.4850/

Last edited:

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
David Gregg said:
Well this may not provide everything you're looking for but I've created this thread (with permission by mods) for the tweets/hints/news that aren't important enough for a new thread as well as give people the opportunity to input their own predictions and speculations for LR.

http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/doa5lr-tweets-speculations-rumors-etc.4850/

No, this neither solves the problem nor serves the same purpose as the casual thread.

Saying use this functionality or posting elsewhere or in a differrnt manner be it in private or public does not solve the issue either.

Closing the thread is just narrow minded, ignorant, and frankly unjustified.

Solving aggressive behaviour or racism could be easily done with a warning or temporary ban..if they keep at it then it goes permanent. But shutting down the whole thread does not solve the issue nor is it fair for anyone actually going there for their daily friendly harmless fix.

Brute

Standard Donor
There is not a single post in this thread aside from those posted by staff that has accurately interpreted and assessed the nature of the thread, what the issues were, how they were being handled, how they are being handled, how they could hypothetically be handled, or even what the benefits of the thread were. The only ignorance here is members thinking they have everything figured out when they have no idea what posts were being deleted and edited on a regular basis, what members where being consulted, warned and advised consistently in response to that one thread, and finally how that one, single thread impacted the site's community at large, for better and worse, both on the surface and in its underlying foundation and structure. There's also a meta aspect to it that is rarely identified and even more scarcely addressed.

There are good points to be made for permitting a thread of similar nature to exist. But no one has been making those points, which leads me to believe that most users' intentions for having such a thread are all wrong, so to speak.

David Gregg

No, this neither solves the problem nor serves the same purpose as the casual thread.

Wasn't trying to solve the problem just trying to give people the heads up of where they can find stuff now. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the casual thread (obviously since I contributed to the randomness of that thread as much if not more than anyone else. XD) but given the circumstances (and remember we're not the ones who had to moderate that thread) we now have 3 threads in LR that cover a decent chunk of relevant topics that were covered in the casual thread where members can go. It's not perfect but I think it's a better alternative than stopping discussion altogether.

Argentus

There is not a single post in this thread aside from those posted by staff that has accurately interpreted and assessed the nature of the thread, what the issues were, how they were being handled, how they are being handled, how they could hypothetically be handled, or even what the benefits of the thread were. The only ignorance here is members thinking they have everything figured out when they have no idea what posts were being deleted and edited on a regular basis, what members where being consulted, warned and advised consistently in response to that one thread, and finally how that one, single thread impacted the site's community at large, for better and worse, both on the surface and in its underlying foundation and structure. There's also a meta aspect to it that is rarely identified and even more scarcely addressed.

There are good points to be made for permitting a thread of similar nature to exist. But no one has been making those points, which leads me to believe that most users' intentions for having such a thread are all wrong, so to speak.

Wanting a thread to talk about things in general is bad for the site and community, gotcha.

If there are real reasons, please state them, but "some posters had to be modded" is not a real reason. (Unless its a matter of confidentiality of course but my point is that its something we are unaware of, don't blame us for being unaware of it.)

All suggestions for an alternative to the casual thread so far have been faulty. Chatroom is not the same ball game as a thread.

Having to make new threads for discussion isn't viable either because the types of things talked about in casual were generally quick questions or comments that would be q waste of a thread (or if we realized they deserved their own thread, THEN we made one for the topic)

Trying to keep all topics purely competitive is narrow minded and neglects the fact that this is a game, first and foremost, and people will want to talk about more than frame date and matchups. (This is why character specific sections are usually relatively dead zones)

No one is arguing that people weren't arguing in casual, we are saying that despite that, casual served a decidedly important role as the true General Discussion thread that most else branched off from. We need another thread like it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD