DOA3++ Balance/Gameplay Mod

UncleKitchener

Standard Donor
Will cbx ever get better than this or is xbox emulation forever cursed?

Edit: Can you upload it on yt?

Last edited:

Gultigargar

New update, can be downloaded here, or from the first post: http://www.mediafire.com/file/md5810edt8ripsq/DOA3_Gameplay_Mod_%28Minor%29.rar/file

Many thanks to usagiZ for his changes to holds and parries. This update adds a few more tweaks, and has some minor bugfixes.

An odd quirk with DOA3 was that a :3_: input would result in a :3::3: move being used (if no :3_: move is available). This has been changed for all characters so that holding :3_: will now instead give you a :3: move. (Example: Previously, inputting :3_::K: with Hayate would result in you getting :3::3::K:. Now you will get a :3::K: instead.)

Leon's 66PPP/3PP damage reduced from 35 to 30 (to compensate for the move going from unsafe to +4 GB). His 33P now causes a sitdown stun, but has also gone from +2 to 0 on block. His 9P has gone from -9 to +3 on block, matching Bayman's version of the move. His new P6PK now flips the opponent over in the air, preventing further juggling. It also wall splats on both Normal and Counter-Hit.

Gen Fu's 3P+K is now unsafe at -12.

Brad Wong's updated 3PP/3KPP animation was imported from DOA4. Frame data is the same, but he takes a longer step forward, giving the move more reach.

Adjusted Hayate's new 66KK to have more blockstun, so you can no longer jab him out of 66KKK.

The DOA3++ Logo and credits page have been updated as well, so remember to re-insert those too. The logo now has less aliasing on the edges, and now also has a proper drop-shadow.

As a little bonus, I've also included a few tracks from previous and past DOA's for use with DOA3. http://www.mediafire.com/file/6mz29yzqyzqmfq6/DOA3_CustomBGM.rar/file
To get them into your game, open "bgm.afs" with AFSExplorer and replace any given character's theme with the new one you want.

Last edited:

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Still pretty cool to see community balances. Reminds me of MK9's interior balance patch work I've seen made by fans. Someone should host offline events for DOA3 with changes like these where each little thing will surprise anyone.

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Still pretty cool to see community balances. Reminds me of MK9's interior balance patch work I've seen made by fans. Someone should host offline events for DOA3 with changes like these where each little thing will surprise anyone.

i've been bringing my xbox with 3++ to events in Philly area lately.

Gultigargar

I was not a fan of the nerfs myself at first, but I think ultimately the game is better off with some tweaking to the really oppressive stuff.

Gen Fu and Bass's juggle throws dealt much higher damage than any other throw in the game and they could end it into a reset. I think making the damage closer to other throw punishes is reasonable enough.

Gen Fu's sidestep was pretty ridiculous. Very, very evasive, high damage and gives a wall splat you can combo out of. Changing it from +1 to negative is more than fair, I think.

Jann Lee's 6PK was so oppressive that you were basically forced to hold. Other moves with frame advantage are not as fast as this kick, also. The pressure he gets when combined with his 4F+P wall throw was just a little too much, I think. I really did like how it felt to use at +1 though, so I wanted it to at least be safe.

With Hayate's cartwheel, there basically wasn't anything you could really do, since the system wasn't really equipped to handle characters moving so far sideways so fast. I believe it was banned in tournament use as well?

Last edited:

JAG THE GEMINI

Unfortunately, so was the Free Step system.
Free step was still Ok tbh. DOA was never a game revolving around a true sidestep mechanic like in SoulCalibur with 22/88 commands but then again i liked the built in side step in certain attacks in DOA3 and hated the universal step system introduced in DOA5... Looks silly

Last edited:

Gultigargar

Small update: Zack's 6P+K and Helena's 9K/Bokuho PPK are moves that seem like they were intended to be natural combos, but you were actually able to hold the 2nd hit. I've turned them into proper natural combos by changing the stuns of the 1st hit to the Stomach Lift Stun.

I wanted to do the same for Christie's 66K, but her jump kick does not visually fit with a Stomach Lift Stun, so you can currently still hold the 2nd hit. I have, however, changed the 1st hit of the move from 15 to 25 damage, like it was in DOA4. (I think they legit forgot that stuns scale your damage down, because the original 15+15 damge was pretty low.)

Zack's 236KK/PP6KK is listed in the frame data as being a natural combo, but that was actually not the case. I liked the concept of it, though, so I've changed the 236K hit to a mini-launch, making the two hits a "natural combo" of sorts. Damage has been reduced a little to have it at the same level as other similar moves (Hayabusa's F+KKK and Christie's F+KK).

I've also updated Tina's changelog to include the change to her 44P. It was present in previous builds, I had just forgotten to add it to the list.

Last edited:

Gultigargar

Here's a little test build of something I've been working on: https://www.mediafire.com/file/m55u5qcqhcdqu7w/DOA2U_Hold_Inputs.rar/file
(Files are intended for use with the DOA3++ mod, you need the .mot files from that to make them work right.)

DOA3 had a very large input buffer window for holds. So much so that you could pretty easily get a hold when you were just trying to guard. (You could seriously press back, let go of the stick, then press :F: to guard, and the game would give you a hold instead.)

In this build, I have changed everyone's hold input conditions to match those of DOA2U, where you more or less have to press a direction and :F: at the same time to get a hold. (Input buffer is only something like 4 or 6 frames.) This prevents unwanted holds *and* it lets you cancel your backdash into a guard with :F:, making it a lot less risky.

While working on this, however, I discovered something of a bug/issue/oversight from uzagiZ's hold changes. The new, separate mid kick hold will always give you the "divert" animation when used on jumping kicks, even if your character actually has a jumping kick hold. Because of this, Bayman and Leifang are currently the only characters with access to their jumping kick holds (Their advanced mid kick holds work properly against jumping kicks).

Thankfully this is kind of a minor issue (never really seen anyone intentionally do jump attacks), but ideally I'd like the game to work as intended, so I'll see if I can figure out how to fix it. My worry is that jump kick holds might be hard-coded to certain slots in the same way that wall splat range is. If so, it's not going to be easy to fix.

A minor gameplay tweak I've also added is a change to Helena's Backturned :F+P:. In DOA4, this move got a new animation that would do some damage and leave the opponent backturned. To simulate this, I've changed it from using her :236::F+P: when it connects to instead use her :214::F+P:. (20+20 damage, opponent ends backturned, Helena ends in Bokuho.) This move is stronger than the DOA4 throw, but I figured it's okay for it to be strong since the throw animation has a long startup.

Last edited:

Gultigargar

I'm trying not to spam the thread with updates, but this recent one has some kind of major changes in it that I don't want to just stealth update. Both the regular DOA3++ and the previously posted test build with DOA2U's hold inputs have been updated.

I've made changes to Bass's :9::K:, :9_::P::K: and :6::P::K:. The original intent behind making 9K flip the opponent in the air was to lower his 4F+P juggle damage a bit. However, after some playtesting I've found that it was still possible to get 120+ damage combos on normal hit because of his 6PK, which is pretty much the same amount as before the 9K nerf. I've now reverted 9K to juggle again, while the launch height of 6PK has been lowered. It should now only be possible to follow it up with either a 6KP or an air throw. This also makes it so you don't need to land precisely timed 6PK's in your juggles to get good damage, which I think is preferable.

Gave Tina the lift stun vs crouching change to her :3::P: that I had also given many other characters. Had straight up just forgotten to do hers.

Bayman has had his .mot file (animations) updated. For some minor visual flavor I imported Bayman's idle animation from DOA4, so now his idle stance is no longer identical to Leon's. I also imported the correct animation for his :236::P: (I had imported a string variant by mistake). This means that he now properly takes a step forward when he strikes, giving the move very good reach that it is supposed to have.

Brad Wong has had his free stepping speed increased to 120%. His up and down free stepping was even slower than the rest, so they've been increased further to 150%. Even with these changes, he should still be the slowest moving character in the cast, just no longer to a comical extent.

Gultigargar

There isn't really a "speed setting" number or anything I can give you, it is straight up based on the individual animations. I can give a general idea of speeds based on how long it takes each character to walk as far away from the opponent as they can.
Brad < Ein/Hitomi < Leifang/Christie/Bayman/Helena < Leon/Tina/Gen Fu < Bass/Zack < Jann Lee < Ayane/Hayabusa/Kasumi/Hayate
Not really a perfect measurement since it's by eyeballing it. I'm pretty sure Bayman and Leon have the exact same walk animation, and thus should have the same walk speed.

Looking at the general trend, however, there are only really 3 "tiers."
Ninjas > Everyone else > Brad Wong
Average frames to reach the end: 203.5 < 221.416 < 270
Ninja's are slightly faster (Arrive about 12 frames before everyone else), and then there's Brad Wong noticeably behind the 2nd slowest character by 43 frames... *After* I've increased his walk speed by 20%.

WalkSpeed.jpg

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD