DOA5U listed on Amazon... new info

TRI Mike

It's not impossible. Only stopping death is. But for players who use 2/8buttons for sidestep, Eileen's stance transitions would be hard to implement.

Akumasama

I doubt they would put characters from the recent episodes of VF btw.
Considering Dural is a "female" character, she might be the one getting added to the game? Would go right under Alpha-152, so it would kinda be fitting the "artificial being" thing.

Akumasama

I really hope it's not Dural...
Tbh I really hope it's not another fucking annoying, badly animated, voiced, modelled, with retardedly frame-safe moves, character from VF.

It's not a matter of being a VF hater (I love VF). It's a matter of this being Dead or Alive 5, not DoA vs VF.
They already added way too many guest characters, in my own personal and flawed view it's unacceptable to add even more, especially when you're leaving out your own series' characters to make space for VF ones.

At least we got Ein and Leon back, but there are many more DoA chars they could have added without copypasting annoying chars from VF.
Dunno about you but I hate playing against Akira, Pai and especially Sarah in DoA5, they just don't feel doa-esque at all.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
I want at least one character to be introduced that ROFLSTOMPs every character in the game with ease. They'd be banned but hilarious and every fighting game should have at least one.
Miyako becomes a genetically enhanced MILF, has VF standard frame advantage on block, is a heavyweight, has moves that do nothing but unholdable stuns, 5 Critical Bursts (one done during a throw combo) and not only has a ground and air Power Blow, but can also use two Power Blows per round.

There, now you killed two birds with one stone. You got a bannable character and a token MILF in one fell swoop.

Dave

Don't understand how people think the Virtua Fighter cast guests are badly animated and modeled. I mean... have you seen them compared to their Virtua Fighter models and CGI art? It's simply amazing what Team Ninja has done with their implementation of them in the game. No denying that. And copy and paste? Nope. They had to add animations for the holds and more.

Akumasama

I'm not comparing them to their original counterparts, I'm comparing them to the other DoA characters and they stand out in any possible way.
A bad, ugly, unwanted way.
Wouldn't be a big thing if we were talking about ONE guest character, I mean it's one, who cares in the end.
But 3? Then 4? Possibly 5? Leaving "official" chars from the DoA cast outside?
No thanks.

Plus despite their "efforts" for adaptation they really play differently with their silly frames, and the VF-esque sound effects (which is one of the few things I hate of VF) are ugly.
I could go on talking about the bad quality of their audio, or about the sillyness and uglyness of their juggles, or their "hovering" moves that made them look like someone activated bullet-time as they hover in the air (which is ok when it's in VF since it happens to all characters, but it looks ugly when you put it into DoA)

Why didn't Team Ninja put all that effort into DoA characters instead? If they wanted to give a tribute to VF they could have stopped after the first or *I want to be generous* second character.
Was there really a need to put all of those? This ain't a crossover game, it's DoA5 damnit >.>
I want to play DoA with DoA characters, being forced to fight against annoying characters from another game is just something I'll never like.

And, bias aside, it's a widely shared sentiment, some VF chars (hello Sarah) are really annoying to play against when in the right hands.
I'm not even talking about broken or anything, it's not a matter of winning or losing, but rather not having fun.

"Copypaste" is an euphemism of course, and an hyperbole. But I'm starting to believe that they went this way (many VF characters) because it was FASTER and CHEAPER for them than working on DoA characters. And of course becuase it's more fanservice-esque and made them think they could attract more people to the game, also those not tipically attracted by the DoA franchise.
It's good to some extent, they just went way too far imho.

Brute

Standard Donor
Don't understand how people think the Virtua Fighter cast guests are badly animated and modeled. I mean... have you seen them compared to their Virtua Fighter models and CGI art?
Low standards. Of course they look better than something Sega made years ago. Compare them to the DOA models instead.

Dave

Ugh, whatever. It seems people are really angry over the fact that Team Ninja has decided to add some characters they they really seem to love and enjoy that helped them to mold their own fighting game. I don't understand why everyone hates it. Is it because people think they are taking the spots of new characters? Who's to say they were going to make brand new characters to begin with? Maybe they don't want those old characters in this installment. Instead of arguing about the bigger problems of the game people are worried about some sound effects and character models. Does a swooshing sound really bother you to that high of an extent? I just don't get it. Who in the world says the Virtua Fighter guests are of a fan service request? Team Ninja themselves wanted them in the game.

Dacthunder

I really hope it's not Dural...
Tbh I really hope it's not another fucking annoying, badly animated, voiced, modelled, with retardedly frame-safe moves, character from VF.

It's not a matter of being a VF hater (I love VF). It's a matter of this being Dead or Alive 5, not DoA vs VF.
They already added way too many guest characters, in my own personal and flawed view it's unacceptable to add even more, especially when you're leaving out your own series' characters to make space for VF ones.

At least we got Ein and Leon back, but there are many more DoA chars they could have added without copypasting annoying chars from VF.
Dunno about you but I hate playing against Akira, Pai and especially Sarah in DoA5, they just don't feel doa-esque at all.
Agreed, but the VF characters shouldn't feel Doa-esque, they suppose to feel like they're from VF. Characters like Raidou, and even Genra should of been given more attention over the VF characters. I still think Tengu is likely in. In my opinion the game should of gotten 3 original NEW DOA 5 characters, Momiji is the a new character, but not a character we haven't heard of. I wouldn't mine Donovan as new character, but it's obvious that he won't happen til later, or may never happen lol. If I'd picked another Ninja Gaiden character it would be Muramasa and he would have the ability to switch styles from Praying Mantis to Crane.

Akumasama

It seems people are really angry over the fact that Team Ninja has decided to add some characters they they really seem to love and enjoy that helped them to mold their own fighting game.
I think people aren't angry about that.
People are rather angry about the fact that they added 3 (possibly 5?) when it could have been one.
People are angry they chose to develop those chars instead of thinking about DoA ones which were missing.
People are angry that despite their undeniable and apreciable efforts, those characters stand out too much compared to the DoA cast.

I don't understand why everyone hates it.
Try to read the post above.
You may not agree with it, but I'm sure you'll be able to understand.
I'm confident at least a part of what I wrote is a shared sentiment among the majority of people who didn't really apreciate this choice of theirs.

Is it because people think they are taking the spots of new characters?
Not just new, OLD! Which makes it much more of a relevant issue.
Even without touching secondary characters like Shiden, Raidou, Genra and Nicole, they chose to leave out Tengu, Leon and Ein, the latter being one of the most-favorite character of the series.
Why dedicate so much effort that should be *additional* when you're leaving some fo the core elements outside?

Hint: much likely it was faster for them to realize Akira+Sarah+Pai than what it would have taken them to realize Leon+Ein, or even just one of them.

people are worried about some sound effects and character models.
That's just part of the issue, gameplay (their animations, ugly juggles, frame advantages being a major aspect of the whole thing) of course is the other part.
I don't think we can ignore the first just because the latter is "more important".
If aesthetics didn't matter then why don't we play in 240x230 with 1mil polygon characters and 8bit Audio? I'm sure they'll manage to deliver us a gameplay just as good, if not even better, with such graphics.

So the right "position" is in between. You can't be a graphic-whore and say that's all that matters. But pretending it doesn't matter at all is another exageration, and pure hipocrisy.
Imho of course.

Brute

Standard Donor
I don't understand why everyone hates it.
They function strange playwise in DOA because they were designed for a different game.
Compared to the DOA characters, their animations are choppy and their models/visuals are unimpressive.
Their voice-recordings are lower quality than my grandpa's radio.
They take time and resources that could be put into other characters, stages, music, balance, graphics, etc.

Ultimately, if we wanted to play a bunch of VFs, I'd go play VF. I don't see why we need 4 (probably 5) guests in DOA, let alone 5 guests from VF alone when VF is a fighting game anyway and they can get their fair due there. If they wanted to make one guest (say, Akira), then alright. I'm not crazy about guests in general but Akira's actually kinda cool and requires skill to use etc. But then you have Sarah who is so stupidly powerful & I'm constantly playing DOAvSarah and even if I win, I'm not having fun. If I lose, it's hard for me to commend my opponent's skill because of how stupid (and generally annoying) Sarah is.

If you're a Sarah player and got offended by this, tough luck. Some people just like fighting certain chars better. I also don't particularly enjoying fighting Helena with her dumbass force-tech crap or Mila with her awkwardly boring movement and playstyle either, and I'm sure many people don't like fighting Ryu. But I'm much more lenient on these characters because I feel like they do at least fit in the game. Sarah is like an OP cancerous growth.

Dacthunder

I think people aren't angry about that.
People are rather angry about the fact that they added 3 (possibly 5?) when it could have been one.
People are angry they chose to develop those chars instead of thinking about DoA ones which were missing.
People are angry that despite their undeniable and apreciable efforts, those characters stand out too much compared to the DoA cast.

I'm confident at least a part of what I wrote is a shared sentiment among the majority of people who didn't really apreciate this choice of theirs.

Even without touching secondary characters like Shiden, Raidou, Genra and Nicole, they chose to leave out Tengu, Leon and Ein, the latter being one of the most-favorite character of the series.
Why dedicate so much effort that should be *additional* when you're leaving some fo the core elements outside?

Hint: much likely it was faster for them to realize Akira+Sarah+Pai than what it would have taken them to realize Leon+Ein, or even just one of them.

That's just part of the issue, gameplay (their animations, ugly juggles, frame advantages being a major aspect of the whole thing) of course is the other part.
I don't think we can ignore the first just because the latter is "more important".
If aesthetics didn't matter then why don't we play in 240x230 with 1mil polygon characters and 8bit Audio? I'm sure they'll manage to deliver us a gameplay just as good, if not even better, with such graphics.

So the right "position" is in between. You can't be a graphic-whore and say that's all that matters. But pretending it doesn't matter at all is another exageration, and pure hipocrisy.
Imho of course.
They function strange playwise in DOA because they were designed for a different game.
Compared to the DOA characters, their animations are choppy and their models/visuals are unimpressive.
They take time and resources that could be put into other characters, stages, music, balance, graphics, etc.

Ultimately, if we wanted to play a bunch of VFs, I'd go play VF. I don't see why we need 4 (probably 5) guests in DOA, let alone 5 guests from VF alone when VF is a fighting game anyway and they can get their fair due there. If they wanted to make one guest (say, Akira), then alright. I'm not crazy about guests in general but Akira's actually kinda cool and requires skill to use etc. But then you have Sarah who is so stupidly powerful & I'm constantly playing DOAvSarah and even if I win, I'm not having fun. If I lose, it's hard for me to commend my opponent's skill because of how stupid (and generally annoying) Sarah is.

If you're a Sarah player and got offended by this, tough luck. Some people just like fighting certain chars better. I also don't particularly enjoying fighting Helena with her dumbass force-tech crap or Mila with her awkwardly boring movement and playstyle either, and I'm sure many people don't like fighting Ryu. But I'm much more lenient on these characters because I feel like they do at least fit in the game. Sarah is like an OP cancerous growth.

Agreed, I personally think it should of been just Akira and that's it. My guess is Sega is trying to keep VF more publicized and recognized as they are working on VF6, by putting lots of Guest in DOA 5. It's been a while since VF 5 came out, the first version came out in 2006 in Japan.

Akumasama

the "final" version of VF5 was released for X360 and PS3 in august 2012 if I'm not wrong.
For a really nice price actually too.
Was a really nice game, too bad about the texture compression to remain within the limits allowed by the total GB space for downloadable games.

But as Brute said much better than I could, this is DoA5, not VF, not a special Crossover game like Fighters Megamix or SF vs Tekken.
If I want to play with VF characters I play VF.
Having a guest, or two even, it's cool, but they just went too far, period.
This is even worse when they focus on such additional stuff leaving other more DoA-esque things behind.

Dave

Oh believe me, I'm not offended. You are all entitled to your opinions.

Brute

Standard Donor
Oh believe me, I'm not offended. You are all entitled to your opinions.
I just like to be careful and add disclaimers these days. I've pissed off the entire internet ten times over before and listening to the subsequent whining gets old.

Kronin

I'm not comparing them to their original counterparts, I'm comparing them to the other DoA characters and they stand out in any possible way.
A bad, ugly, unwanted way.
Wouldn't be a big thing if we were talking about ONE guest character, I mean it's one, who cares in the end.
But 3? Then 4? Possibly 5? Leaving "official" chars from the DoA cast outside?
No thanks.

Sadly I have to agree me too with this.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD