Standard Donor
I played a little more with photo mode:

47200692102_47f21a04bd_o.png

47200693582_cd67da659f_o.png

46529121214_10d219a076_o.png

47200692352_63a6459674_o.png

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I tried the photo mode and omg. The sensitivity on the sticks is ridiculous. Was 5 this bad? It’s been so long since I took pics of that game

It's basically the exact same mode and feels pretty much the same. They fixed the camera tilt sensitivity though, which was really wonky in DOA5, now it's really smooth.

Helena is really expressive:

46529121954_4fb3889546_o.png

47252696251_d74dc6d0cf_o.png

She's having none of it, lol.

Chapstick

It's basically the exact same mode and feels pretty much the same. They fixed the camera tilt sensitivity though, which was really wonky in DOA5, now it's really smooth.

Idk what I’m doing wrong then, just touching the stick moves the camera a mile :’)

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor

Marie: "I'm a grown woman! I'm 18. I'm not pedo bait!"
Helena: "Bitch, stop lying!"

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I may have found the reason why the quality of character models and stages took such a dive in DOA6.
When I watched the credits roll, I noticed that the big majority of staff names listed unter character art and environment art wasn't Japanese but Chinese or Vietnamese (sorry, I find Chinese and Vietnamese names hard to tell apart). This is an indication that the characters and stages were not made by Team Ninja, but that the work was outsourced to another studio outside Japan.
I watched the credits of DOA5 and DOA4 again for comparison and there mostly Japanese names appeared for character and stage art, which indicates those games were still mainly developed in-house by Team Ninja.

Last edited:

KwonJigglypuff

I may have found the reason why the quality of character models and stages took such a dive in DOA6.
When I watched the credits roll, I noticed that the big majority of staff listed unter character art and environment art wasn't Japanese but Chinese or Vietnamese (sorry, I find those hard to tell apart). This is an indication that the characters and stages were not made by Team Ninja, but that the work was outsourced to another studio outside Japan.
I watched the credits of DOA5 and DOA4 again to compare and there mostly Japanese names appeared for character and stage art, which indicates those games were still mainly developed in-house by Team Ninja.

I had the exact same though. I was very surprised about all these Chinese names.

Sorry if this has been answered already, but what does "graphics mode" improve exactly?

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Sorry if this has been answered already, but what does "graphics mode" improve exactly?

Depends on which platform you are. On base PS4, base Xbox One and Xbox One X it bumps up the image resolution to 1080p (base consoles) or full 4K (Xbox One X) with a couple other visual improvements, but you'll have to live with an unstable framerate closer to 30fps than 60fps.
PS4 Pro got shafted, there seems to be no change at all. Both modes are identical, at least to the naked eye. We need Digital Foundry or NX Gamer to take a closer look at it. Since DOA is so niche I doubt they will though...

SaihateDYNAMO

When I watched the credits roll, I noticed that the big majority of staff listed unter character art and environment art wasn't Japanese but Chinese or Vietnamese (sorry, I find those hard to tell apart). This is an indication that the characters and stages were not made by Team Ninja, but that the work was outsourced to another studio outside Japan.
I watched the credits of DOA5 and DOA4 again to compare and there mostly Japanese names appeared for character and stage art, which indicates those games were still mainly developed in-house by Team Ninja.
Holy cow, I had a sinking feeling, kind of like a “what if” about the outsourcing, and now that it’s more or less confirmed... That’s really sad how TN’s main series basically got thrown to the side like this in terms of visuals.

Jackie Chan Fan

Vietnamese normally have darker skin. :D

I see that's the reason why the character models look a little weird, especially the necks, if it is outsourced.

Darkwatchman

Seems that way. Both performance mode and graphics mode on PS4 Pro are 1080p and locked 60fps.
Since there's already one locked 60fps mode, I would've liked to also have a real graphics mode where they maybe could bump the resolution to 1440p or improve antialiasing (the game is very jaggy and shimmery) at the expense of framerate, like all other console versions have. :/

That’s why I went for the Xbox version. On Xbox One X, the action mode is dynamic 4K. Native 4K in character select and during intro/outdo scenes, but drops below that during gameplay. Image quality is decent. Graphics mode on X seems to be native4K, but it feels like a 30fps or maybe just unlocked. It’s very rough.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
That’s why I went for the Xbox version. On Xbox One X, the action mode is dynamic 4K. Native 4K in character select and during intro/outdo scenes, but drops below that during gameplay. Image quality is decent. Graphics mode on X seems to be native4K, but it feels like a 30fps or maybe just unlocked. It’s very rough.

To me it feels like 30fps drop on character win poses or introductions, maybe a random choke here and there when I'm fighting. Would hardly call it rough.

Darkwatchman

To me it feels like 30fps drop on character win poses or introductions, maybe a random choke here and there when I'm fighting. Would hardly call it rough.
I would call it rough for sure. The SECOND I started pushing buttons in graphics mode, the game felt much chunkier and less responsive. I immediately switched after landing a single combo. It felt nasty as fuck.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
The X's graphics mode would be great for just taking photos...
I'm not going to get an X for DOA6 though. For DOAs before I actually got a new console (Xbox for DOA3, Xbox360 for DOA4, PS4 for DOA5LR), but I feel DOA6 is not worth that much money.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD