DOA6 Graphics Thread

Darkwatchman

The X's graphics mode would be great for just taking photos...
I'm not going to get an X for DOA6 though. For DOAs before I actually got a new console (Xbox for DOA3, Xbox360 for DOA4, PS4 for DOA5LR), but I feel DOA6 is not worth that much money.

THe photo mode automatically switches to graphics mode when you pause a replay.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
The X's graphics mode would be great for just taking photos...
I'm not going to get an X for DOA6 though. For DOAs before I actually got a new console (Xbox for DOA3, Xbox360 for DOA4, PS4 for DOA5LR), but I feel DOA6 is not worth that much money.

Especially if you don't really play the game and just admire the visuals. I mean it's fine, but I wouldn't be buying any console for one game exclusively that I'm not training to be good at. You might as well be a PC gamer?

Having a lot of fun with the photo mode. The expressions Nyo make are so cute.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Brad regained some of his handsomeness and sexappeal in DOA6, which he was lacking in DOA5:

32320043977_811463017b_o.png

32320044667_a374ebe4b9_o.png

Kokoro retained her nondescript, bland features:

32320045297_b5b4464796_o.png

46347343385_7eeeca0c5b_o.png

The Kokoro fans are grabbing their torches and pitchforks, lol.

Tyaren

Standard Donor

I think Graphics mode is just broken in PS4 Pro.

No difference in resolution, texture filtering or even effects.

I've only been telling everyone this since the demo is out... But all comments I get here are along these lines: "Pro not stronk enough!", "Like duuuh, fighting games shouldn't have graphics modes.", "Master Race!!!"

Jyu_Viole_Grace

Maybe Pro isn't powerful enough to increase resolution but it should be to at least improve texture filtering, effects and implementing anti-aliasing ... but we're talking about DW9 engine after all. Probably one of the worst Koei Tecmo mistakes.

They should just get rid of that thing and use Unreal 4.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
They should just get rid of that thing and use Unreal 4.

Tekken 7 and Soul Calibur 6, which do both use UE4, don't fill me with confidence at all in that regard. Xbox One has to run those games around 720p with low visual settings. It looks absolutely terrible. Worse even than what even DOA6 brings to the table.
And let's be honest here, many of DOA6's gaphical flaws don't come from the purely technical side. It's because of lack of care and polish, and because they outsourced large parts to other studios outside Japan. Unaesthetic lighting, skyboxes being one color screens, worse resolution hair textures than DOA5, glitchy win/lose poses, two navels for men etc. have nothing to do with the used engine or lack of power of consoles or PC. Let's not forget the PC version doesn't much look better either except in resolution.

On another note: "MUSCLE!!!111eleven"

47216745292_82153bfe94_o.png

46354196085_33d8062a58_o.png

Jyu_Viole_Grace

Tekken 7 and Soul Calibur 6, which do both use UE4, don't fill me with confidence at all in that regard. Xbox One has to run those games around 720p with low visual settings. It looks absolutely terrible. Worse even than what even DOA6 brings to the table.
And let's be honest here, many of DOA6's gaphical flaws don't come from the purely technical side. It's because of lack of care and polish, and because they outsourced large parts to other studios outside Japan. Unaesthetic lighting, skyboxes being one color screens, worse resolution hair textures than DOA5, glitchy win/lose poses, two navels for men etc. have nothing to do with the used engine or lack of power of consoles or PC. Let's not forget the PC version doesn't much look better either except in resolution.

Both games apply anti-aliasing and even ambient oclussion even if they run at the same resolution than DOA 6 and ... we have this insane input lag due this engine.

Also, this is my guessing but maybe they had to outsorce work due how hard is to work with DW9 engine (Shimbori said it's just too hard to work with). Maybe they can fix some things in the next months but all TK games that used DW9 engine had a good bunch of issues and some of them couldn't be solved.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Both games apply anti-aliasing and even ambient oclussion even if they run at the same resolution than DOA 6 and ... we have this insane input lag due this engine.

Also, this is my guessing but maybe they had to outsorce work due how hard is to work with DW9 engine (Shimbori said it's just too hard to work with). Maybe they can fix some things in the next months but all TK games that used DW9 engine had a good bunch of issues and some of them couldn't be solved.

DOA6 runs in 720p on base Xbox One and base PS4?

According to the game credits they outsourced character art and environment art mainly to China/Vietnam. Much of what you see on screen in this game. This has nothing to do with how hard the engine is to work with. Most of this game's visual problems are not on the purely technicle side of things. You can make a beautiful game if the tech is shit and the art is great, but you can't make a beautiful game if the tech is great and the art is shit.

Jyu_Viole_Grace

DOA6 runs in 720p on base Xbox One and base PS4?

According to the game credits they outsourced character art and environment art mainly to China/Vietnam. Much of what you see on screen in this game. This has nothing to do with how hard the engine is to work with. Most of this game's visual problems are not on the purely technicle side of things. You can make a beautiful game if the tech is shit and the art is great, but you can't make a beautiful game if the tech is great and the art is shit.

DOA6 runs at 720p in One and 900p in PS4 in action mode (60fps mode), just like Soul Calibur. Tekken 7 has dynamic resolution.

I saw your post. What I mean is I think the reason why they outsorcered work load is because they had a deadline imposed by KT and if they handled everything maybe they couldn't release the game until who know when.

werewolfgold

The boxiness of Raidou's abs is hella annoying. It looks like the bevel and emboss tool in Photoshop. Another baffling decision. lol

Tyaren

Standard Donor
The boxiness of Raidou's abs is hella annoying. It looks like the bevel and emboss tool in Photoshop. Another baffling decision. lol

The shading of the muscle definition does look weird and unnatural. In this case I think it might be an artistical choice though. Maybe they want his body to look more angular and metallic.
What me annoys me more are his clothes, and the same goes for Phase 4's coat, they look so low polygon and low resolution textured. It's a real eyesore, and it was that already in DOA5 on last generation platforms.

Jadeinchains

I found a few nice angles in Sweat...

46372712025_1532211cc3_o.png

46372711805_885c2798f0_o.png

46372711555_06c7bd66bc_o.png

47287258051_145166135f_o.png

More inside spoiler:
47235158902_3cd14f1fa4_o.png

46564063584_f5594bb471_o.png

47287256941_5791e093a4_o.png

Yeah, I photoshopped the second navel out. XD

Queen of photoshop. ;)
Great pics, I've taken a couple so far but I really need to start taking more, especially now that It's possible to get more outfits. Your lucky with those deluxe outfits. :p And wow Rig in that last pic. :eek:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Your lucky with those deluxe outfits. :p And wow Rig in that last pic. :eek:

When the costume pattern unlock system was still completely messed up (I hope they will still overhaul it entirely in the coming weeks) I was actually happy I got the Deluxe Edition and its costumes. XD

About Rig:
They are clearly struggling with male bodies, as Navelgate shows, but you can also clearly see they made an effort to improve the male character modelling. The jump from DOA5's super low polygon models to the fairly high polygon models of DOA6 is a big step up. The musculature, especially on the legs, can look quite nice, and contrary to popular belief, they actually did indicate something like bulges and butt cheeks:

46568903504_1b95f72181_o.png

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD