DOA6 interviews

Keylay

No. Garbage is the word I was looking for. It's a jumbled mess of borrowed moves and stiff animations that formed no cohesion aesthetically or gameplay-wise. Her only unique quality was how disproportionately cheesy she was online thanks to her awful hitbox/hurtbox dynamics and the artificially enforced screen-clearing 50/50s.

Keep in mind that I'm not blindly hating on the character. As a fan of Momiji from Ninja Gaiden, I was a vocal advocate for inclusion since the vanilla days of DOA5, and was quite excited when 5U was teased with both her and Leon. Then she finally arrived, and she was a putrid mess. "Aikido" my ass.

I'm hoping that if they bring back Momiji that they'll revamp her a lot. IMO, the ninjas are the flashiest characters in the game but she wasn't one of them.

Brute

Standard Donor
Aoi Umenokoji > Momiji
18042-Plastic-Bag-Blowing-In-Wind-Gif-Imgur-Tumblr-Mailing-Envelopes-And-....gif
> Momiji

human013

G: They went pretty far with the fanservice, and they seem not to have any problems…

YS: The reason why they can get away it is one one of the big mysteries of the world. SoulCalibur can do it and doesn’t get a beating over it, but even when Dead or Alive doesn’t do it, it still gets criticized.

If anyone can tell me why this happens, and how to fix it, please introduce them to me [laughs].

Again, if people talk too much about it, others will come in and bash it. So just enjoy it and please trust me. I’ll make a nice game that the fans will be happy about.

*Thats called bias and favoritism Shimbori. Haters gonna hate, dont worry about it
This brings back memories. I was suppose to hate DOA because it had fanservice but I played SC my whole life so I was confused as hell. It was my first glimpse of the FGC's nature back in 2012. Ah, the good times when I thought the FGC was a reliable source for fighting game information.

werewolfgold

It's always been pretty clear to me why DOA keeps getting smacked upside the head. It's not like there's a Soulcalibur Xtreme running around out there with pole dancing and 5 boob settings or character endings where the character becomes an actual stripper in them. Even if the in-game outfits can get pretty risqué.

human013

It's always been pretty clear to me why DOA keeps getting smacked upside the head. It's not like there's a Soulcalibur Xtreme running around out there with pole dancing and 5 boob settings or character endings where the character becomes an actual stripper in them. Even if the in-game outfits can get pretty risqué.
True and that was before I knew the extreme series existed but it still shouldn't matter because they are different games. How is DOAX going to affect a person buying the normal DOA? You know how the FGC people will always say things like "game journalists don't know what they're talking about when they review a game" or "They don't know how to play the game or use the mechanics"? From that I expected real discussions and reviews when people from the FGC talked about fighting games. Instead, most discussions and reviews devolve into things even worse than what game journalists write at times.

werewolfgold

How is DOAX going to affect a person buying the normal DOA?
It matters simply because that's what's going to come to mind when people hear DOA. I dunno if the average Joe knows about the pole dancing. But I've heard "the volleyball game?" one too many times when I bring DOA up with people. The publicity that DOAX compared to the fighting game is skewed.

Also, the FGC being trash is nothing new under the sun. lol

human013

It matters simply because that's what's going to come to mind when people hear DOA. I dunno if the average Joe knows about the pole dancing. But I've heard "the volleyball game?" one too many times when I bring DOA up with people. The publicity that DOAX compared to the fighting game is skewed.

Also, the FGC being trash is nothing new under the sun. lol
I was one of those average Joe who didn't know the xtreme existed so it was like someone telling me SC was bad because the Wii game SC Legends was bad.

I understand it now but that was how I saw it back then.

Baji Breakdancer

And Hayabusa uses capoeirajutsu.

Yeah why does Momiji practice "Aikijutsu" and not a style similar to Hayabusa's? She's not only from his clan, but isn't she his ninja protégé? I feel like Momiji's fighting style would be so much cooler if she was to Hayabusa what Sakura is to Ryu in Street Fighter (although in this case she'd be formally trained and not just a copycat).

I think Momiji would have a much clearer identity as a DOA fighter if she had a lighter, quicker version of Hayabusa's style paired with a couple shrine priestessy flairs.

Xhominid The Demon Within

Pardon me for bringing this back but it's honestly hilarious to me that it's Xtreme that's the deciding factor, not the absolutely ridiculous character customization where you can give characters huge dongs from SC5 and even the damn glitch is back in 6, the fact you can put in the actual underage character Talim in Ivy's outfit with no issue(or the fact she has a thong and a bra that shows lots of underboob... and that's not even talking about SCIV in which her pants was see through) and Amy herself definitely wasn't 18, actual hentai artists working with the Lost Swords costumes that they had to deal with for 2-3 years as their only SC game after the flop that was 5 and or even the small things(like being able to give Voldo's moveset to a female, removing the main gross thing of Voldo in general and showing it in it's full fetishistic glory).

I mean, I can understand the deflection but I'm sorry to say that all I can see is Shimbori's point further because it really does come off as a ridiculous level of double standard, especially with 2B's arrival and the fact that Nier Automata fans(like I said before) hate how 2B is practically seen a sex symbol first before being seen as a character second... and SCVI pretty much flies in the former direction for her from everything to advertising to even one of her victory poses(even Mai Shiranui in DOA5's advertising was never really banked on that)

EDIT: Let me make something clear, I understand the damage DOAX has done to DOA, I completely acknowledge that.
But I kinda have to agree with Shimbori in that, again, Dead or Alive gets reamed because Kasumi, Ayane and Kokoro was "underage" by 16, 17 and 16 respectively... but Talim is 14 and never had ANY controversy in her name at all... not one despite being 14-16(hell I believe SCVI made her 14) despite being canonically younger than anyone else in Dead or Alive and despite the fact of how she's dressed and can be dressed in SCIV, Lost Swords and VI. And Amy is not far behind her in age either.

You can't tell me that isn't some absolutely ridiculous double standard compared to how people love tossing around that Marie Rose and NiCO is pedobait by comparison even from outside DOA(and that's not even mentioning other characters from other fighting games that was around a similar age like Sakura and Karin in the SFA series, Cham-Cham and Rimururu in Samurai Showdown, I know there was someone in KOF, etc.

Last edited:

Baji Breakdancer

Pardon me for bringing this back but it's honestly hilarious to me that it's Xtreme that's the deciding factor, not the absolutely ridiculous character customization where you can give characters huge dongs from SC5 and even the damn glitch is back in 6, the fact you can put in the actual underage character Talim in Ivy's outfit with no issue(or the fact she has a thong and a bra that shows lots of underboob... and that's not even talking about SCIV in which her pants was see through) and Amy herself definitely wasn't 18, actual hentai artists working with the Lost Swords costumes that they had to deal with for 2-3 years as their only SC game after the flop that was 5 and or even the small things(like being able to give Voldo's moveset to a female, removing the main gross thing of Voldo in general and showing it in it's full fetishistic glory).

I mean, I can understand the deflection but I'm sorry to say that all I can see is Shimbori's point further because it really does come off as a ridiculous level of double standard, especially with 2B's arrival and the fact that Nier Automata fans(like I said before) hate how 2B is practically seen a sex symbol first before being seen as a character second... and SCVI pretty much flies in the former direction for her from everything to advertising to even one of her victory poses(even Mai Shiranui in DOA5's advertising was never really banked on that)

EDIT: Let me make something clear, I understand the damage DOAX has done to DOA, I completely acknowledge that.
But I kinda have to agree with Shimbori in that, again, Dead or Alive gets reamed because Kasumi, Ayane and Kokoro was "underage" by 16, 17 and 16 respectively... but Talim is 14 and never had ANY controversy in her name at all... not one despite being 14-16(hell I believe SCVI made her 14) despite being canonically younger than anyone else in Dead or Alive and despite the fact of how she's dressed and can be dressed in SCIV, Lost Swords and VI. And Amy is not far behind her in age either.

You can't tell me that isn't some absolutely ridiculous double standard compared to how people love tossing around that Marie Rose and NiCO is pedobait by comparison even from outside DOA(and that's not even mentioning other characters from other fighting games that was around a similar age like Sakura and Karin in the SFA series, Cham-Cham and Rimururu in Samurai Showdown, I know there was someone in KOF, etc.
^^^This x10000. DOAX doesn't help, I honestly think the stigma around DOA is more because it's a female-dominated roster and female-centered storyline that lacks any of the macho components that are normally present in 90% of fighting games.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
^^^This x10000. DOAX doesn't help, I honestly think the stigma around DOA is more because it's a female-dominated roster and female-centered storyline that lacks any of the macho components that are normally present in 90% of fighting games.

What the hell are you talking about now? Macho components? Name 5 or 6 please that are in 90% of fighting games that DOA doesn't have.

Obviously fatalities don't count.

Haipa Sonikku

When DOA and DOA2 were on PSOne and PS2, people looked to Tekken. If you notice, all the other versus fighting games in some form were on PlayStation platforms from 2000 - 2012 which affected narrative.

It was the way that Microsoft marketed the game during the 6th gen.
When people think Soulcalibur, they think Dreamcast, or Link from The Legend of Zelda along with weapons gameplay. Dead or Alive due to hand to hand gets immediately compared and contrasted to Virtua Fighter and Tekken. Not being in the Arcade since 2000 - 2013 didn't help either. Sega somewhat had fan-service looks with Fighting Vipers with Candy.

People have stereotyped Dead or Alive since DOA3 at the earliest.

Xhominid The Demon Within

What the hell are you talking about now? Macho components? Name 5 or 6 please that are in 90% of fighting games that DOA doesn't have.

Obviously fatalities don't count.

I think he means more that Dead or Alive focuses more on it's female fighters than male fighters.
Which is the same reason you have people pulling that card for Arcana Heart and the like as well as if there's more female fighters than males(or they are more well known), it's a fanservice game by definition... despite how that makes no sense and can very easily be pointed out(Seriously Chun-Li is usually the 1st or 2nd character that comes to mind when anyone says Street Fighter and is possibly Fighting games' biggest sex symbol even past Mai)

Baji Breakdancer

Western media didn’t help either. Back in the early 2000s, American DOA commercials included a live action one that was just beauty contest women cat fighting. Like, they couldn’t wrap their heads around the idea that you could just have a game with mostly women martial artists who are as tough as or tougher than men with no strings attached.

I think honestly a lot of people still can’t unconsciously accept it, and then they decide it’s about sex/fan service despite (as others pointed out) other fighting games were grand offenders long before DOA. Chun Li was the smurfette of Street Fighter and was almost immediately sexualized in media, followed by Cammy who was never allowed to wear pants. But they were “girls” in a boys game, so it’s permissible.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD