DOA6 Story Discussion

Mayor-Of-Mustard

In the end crying over Leon being absent has no use. They will always add him in a Ultimate version. Leon had the potential to be great and they could’ve done something with him, but didn’t. It’s a shame, but it is what it is. I think Kasumi was done dirty, I really hope they’ll add story DLC for the characters so that they can at least fill the holes ;)
My gut says they're gonna. I mean, Brad Wong has three of his own wee episodes (idk what to call them im tired ok)

P2p1mbs

In the end crying over Leon being absent has no use. They will always add him in a Ultimate version. Leon had the potential to be great and they could’ve done something with him, but didn’t. It’s a shame, but it is what it is. I think Kasumi was done dirty, I really hope they’ll add story DLC for the characters so that they can at least fill the holes ;)

Is this discussion even still about the DOA6 story or Leon's place in the series? Like before, he WILL return but seeing how TN has never bothered referencing him in the story since 3, he will no longer be featured in the story even as a simple add-on. Maybe he could get a brief namedrop (like explaining how he knows Zack or Bayman) but nothing more.

Xhominid The Demon Within

As a fervent player of Leon, Bankotsubo and Nyotengu, I can tell you that DOA5 Leon did more to distinguish himself from Bayman than Nyotengu does from Bankotsubo.

Gameplay wise:

giphy.gif

Characterization wise:

giphy.gif

And I'm legit not trying to hate on Leon either and I do my best at looking at both characters as much as possible

Characterization doesn't matter. Kokoro has none, Marie has two, Kasumi's went on holiday, etc.

Then what's the point since it virtually just become opinions after that? If characterization doesn't matter and you try to go with other reasons... then it just becomes a ball of opinions and simply is "I like X more because his style works better for me".
I mean I have no issues since practically subjective and objective is 2 very different things but I'm just throwing the obvious point here.

KwonJigglypuff

Kokoro has character. She is a cutesy airhead with some psycho anger issues. That's about it though.

Nice description.
I've always seen Kokoro as Helena's lost and depressed sister. I can relate to that. But yeah, after 3 games she needs some development. With each installment it seems she is about to rebel or explode.. but no.

Brute

Standard Donor
Then what's the point since it virtually just become opinions after that? If characterization doesn't matter and you try to go with other reasons... then it just becomes a ball of opinions and simply is "I like X more because his style works better for me".
I mean I have no issues since practically subjective and objective is 2 very different things but I'm just throwing the obvious point here.
If you want to be a hardcore relativist, everything material is an opinion, because you can't assert with certainty that the same reality is perceived in any way by two separate entities. More focused, characterizations are also just opinions. But some opinions suck so much I don't give them any credit. For example, "We need more white supremacist representation in the roster" is an extremely dumb opinion and I'm not going to give it much consideration. "Characterization is more important than gameplay in the roster" is also a dumb opinion when 99% of the time players spend with the game is smacking the shit out of other players in PvP with absolutely no relation to the story or characterizations whatsoever.

Hypothetically, characterizations are a good thing and an important element in establishing a game's tone and atmosphere as well as it's lasting, emotional resonance. My argument is that DOA6 is so fucking bad at it that hiding behind it as an excuse for shitty roster decisions is a joke.

Hypothetically, characterizations are a good thing and an important element in establishing a game's tone and atmosphere as well as it's lasting, emotional resonance. My argument is that DOA6 is so fucking bad at it that hiding behind it as an excuse for shitty roster decisions is a joke.

And my argument is basically the exact opposite:
I believe that DOA6 does good enough that it could hide behind it and not have any real issues.
That won't stop me from asking for any of the 4 from returning and I have stated so myself.

That's why I say that this is ultimately just subjective as it depends on how you see the story and characterization of the DOA characters and I've been pretty much frank that all of the stories of every fighting game is pretty damn bad, even character-wise, when compared to non-fighting games.

Brute

Standard Donor

>throws random paint splotches on empty canvas
"This is expressionist art. It is ultimately subjective so you can't criticize it for the banal crap that it clearly is!"
>sublime genius

I never said you couldn't Brute, don't put words in my mouth...
You can criticize DOA6 till the cows come home, I have my reasons for liking and you have yours for why you have issues.
So I have no clue where you are coming from as if I'm stopping you from criticizing the characterization or anything else.

If you try and criticize ME for liking the characterization for DOA6, on the other hand, then expect for me to criticize YOU for you hating the criticizing the characterization for DOA6.

NewWestFan

Premium Donor
I like Leon. I think he's great in the remake. So tight and looking dapper in the noir outfit. Hopefully as they continue the new story he drops that Asian slag and goes after his true soulmate. Boulder pushing Chris daddy effin Redfield.

Brute

Standard Donor
>be Jann Lee
>sole story beat is to fight the strongest
>Leon, the Strongest Man in the World, is nowhere to be found
>wind up fighting some randy with jizz in his hair for the most anti-climatic grand finals ever
>battle to a stalemate against the guy who got his ass kicked by Rig
>fight Rig in his evil form, with no clear winner
>watch Rig slowly walk off as if he never gave a single fuck

This Shakespearean character arc is why we can't have Leon.

>be Jann Lee
>sole story beat is to fight the strongest
>Leon, the Strongest Man in the World, is nowhere to be found
>wind up fighting some randy with jizz in his hair for the most anti-climatic grand finals ever
>battle to a stalemate against the guy who got his ass kicked by Rig
>fight Rig in his evil form, with no clear winner
>watch Rig slowly walk off as if he never gave a single fuck

This Shakespearean character arc is why we can't have Leon.

I'm not really sure you should be using that as the crux of your argument since so many damn fighting games have no idea how to establish pecking order in the slightest(Mortal Kombat is so fucking guilty of this that it's honestly amazing anyone who tries with that game doesn't immediately kill themselves out of sheer madness).

Dead or Alive is just one of many that outside of Ryu and to a lesser extent Kasumi, damn near every character can win or lose fights with no real reason or logic behind it(which could be easily solved by showing how or why most of the time like was Diego conflicted or holding back? Was Ayane blindsided by the revelation to be able to defend herself against NiCO when Helena was still able to stay conscious? etc.)

zoo

I really wanted Eliot to win it. Seems like they downplayed his whole passing the torch arc from Gen Fu, missed opportunity in making him seem like a high level fighter this time around. Granted losing to Hitomi is understandable given her 2nd placing in 5 but idk just hated seeing Jann in the finals again lol

JAG THE GEMINI

Much agree.

DOAD actually explains Ayane and Hayate both weakened Genra, and... Ryu finished him. Ayane's scene was emotional, but she was not the winner.
DOAD is messed up and should not count as the original timeline imo

TN: Leon is being downgraded to a guest appearance, we are sorry but he doesn’t really do much in the story anymore. :confused:

Half of the cast in DOA6: *Literally does nothing other than just being there, including “main” characters such as Kasumi and Marie, characters that you can take out of the story in 6 and nothing would change at all*

View attachment 28079
Yeah.. bring Leon BACK

Brute

Standard Donor
I was trying to simply state some observations in a pithy fashion, but Xhominid, you seem really intent on trying to make something out of it all, so I guess I'll put in the laborious work and address you plainly.

I never said you couldn't Brute, don't put words in my mouth...
This is the second time you've made this argument, that I "put words in your mouth." Only I don't. I use figurative hyperbole to illustrate why I don't find a particular line of reasoning to be compelling or persuasive. In that case, my point was that subjectivity is a constant in matters such as these so it's not a valid excuse to justify any form of criticism. As such, it's an irrelevant point. You can defend the subjective merit of things, but if that defense doesn't involve any compelling points, doubling down on "it's subjective; everyone can have their own opinion" essentially translates into "You're allowed to keep positing your point of view, just like everyone else," which I do. But then you continue to hammer in this subjectivity point, as if I haven't already acknowledged it. To be perfectly clear: I get it. I just don't care.

You can criticize DOA6 till the cows come home, I have my reasons for liking and you have yours for why you have issues.
So I have no clue where you are coming from as if I'm stopping you from criticizing the characterization or anything else.
If you try and criticize ME for liking the characterization for DOA6, on the other hand, then expect for me to criticize YOU for you hating the criticizing the characterization for DOA6.
But I'm not "hating the criticizing the characterization." Quite the opposite.
You're not stopping me from doing anything. You are continually addressing a bunch of flimsy nonsense, however, so I am going to criticize that.
As for whether I'm criticizing YOU or your positions, it's the latter. But if you say "It's delusional to think that the Earth is flat," you can bet that flat-earthers will take it personally, anyway.

I'm not really sure you should be using that as the crux of your argument
That is in no way the crux of my argument. It's just a tiny little anecdote dressed in ironic humor.

so many damn fighting games have no idea how to establish pecking order in the slightest(Mortal Kombat is so fucking guilty of this that it's honestly amazing anyone who tries with that game doesn't immediately kill themselves out of sheer madness).
I find I have to repeat this a lot: "Other things sucking worse is not an excuse to suck."
I usually present it more fancifully, but I think you get the point.
If you're about to suggest that it does in some cases: just don't. I've been down that road and I'm not going to budge on that point.

Dead or Alive is just one of many that outside of Ryu and to a lesser extent Kasumi, damn near every character can win or lose fights with no real reason or logic behind it(which could be easily solved by showing how or why most of the time like was Diego conflicted or holding back? Was Ayane blindsided by the revelation to be able to defend herself against NiCO when Helena was still able to stay conscious? etc.)
Exactly. People can win or lose with no real reason behind it. Kinda sounds like shitty writing, doesn't it?
So this shitty writing is allegedly the reason that Leon can't come back. But, by it's own asinine logic, Leon can easily be worked back in with the same degree of lazy-ass writing they've committed to for a lot of the characters who did make it. But arbitrarily, he's not here.
It's almost as if their excuse is illegitimate.

But, then we have this:
"I believe that DOA6 does good enough that it could hide behind it and not have any real issues. "
You admit that in a character's arc that is solely focused on the strength of the characters that "damn near every character can win or lose fights with no real reason or logic behind it." You can have a decent story with inconsistent fight results, but not if that story is focused solely on fighting strength (as Jann's is). As a result: Jann's story is shit. It was written by someone who has an incredibly terrible understanding of writing, or someone so lazy that they simply didn't give a shit. Those are the two options. And yet, allegedly, that quality of writing is what prohibited Leon. And that is fucking stupid.

INB4: "That's subjective."
Well it's my subjective opinion that these people can't even operate in accordance to the stupid rules they set for themselves, and so I'm going to mock them for it. It's also my subjective opinion that this story is objectively stupid.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD