"Lets do this!~" Kula Diamond Gameplay Discussion Thread

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I'm low-key hoping Kula is going to be difficult since we've had NiCO and Diego who were both easy with small command lists. Something different for a change would be nice.
I think she'll be like Mai when she debuted in LR although she may be really unsafe as a price or something
That’s VERY few moves, not too happy about that....
Idk, I think she may still be effective like Nico is if she has the right attacks in her arsenal. I hope she'll have alot of good distance moves like that low sweep xD

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
She's got a neutral 2P that's i13, an increased 6T range like Diego, and access to an i9/i11 mid. She's pretty good.

She's lucky to be blessed with that speed because if it was any other fighter, she'd have the same speed as everyone else. Consider Kula players lucky for this one.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Someone asked me a easier method for a certain input command regarding Kula. For those pad players having issues with Kula involving 9KP and accidentally hitting 9K6P due to the pad layout on your dualshocks, you can do 9K"4"P which cancels out the forward input entirely if you just want the raw 9KP. Personally I prefer the cancel 6P because of the options after it, but just in case if people prefer 9KP,

I'd imagine that people with bigger hands or something may accidentally hit the forward because of how close 9 and 6 is on pad.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I was curious, what moves you guys feel is Kula's best? These are mine honestly in no order:

:1::P:- I like it since its a tracking low that's safe, and it grants advantage on CH and it's not horrible or too negative on NH and it can be used in stuns

:236::P:- Doesn't really need an explanation xD unsafe but it's basically a fatal stun that can't be break held out of. It's range isn't super big but it's a great thing to have

:9::K:- mid kick lift stun with options and a deeper stun

:3::h::+::K:- Not the low by itself but from strings that have it like 214K and 4PK2K and PPPK2K specifically it has good reach and is good at mid and mid long range being almost full screen. I think it's a good keep out move if you don't want to really be in the opponent's face tbh.

:214::P:- Unsafe but it's a high risk high damage high crush move, I wish you could combo from it tho so it would be even better.

:3::P+K:-This I think should be a staple into her 214KK/214K2K cancels in combos especially after 236P and at the wall as a good combo filler.

:3::K:- Good reach and can be used in stuns

:6::K:-Safe, has reach and can be used as a "baiter" since in stun you can only use P to combo from it so you can use it to test your opponent.

:8::P:- Unsafe but lift stuns on normal hit and has options including a backturned transition, cancel opp. And has a low and a high launcher which is her best launcher.

:1::K:- Probably not that special but it's a mid kick high crush, just wish it had combo utility xD

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Regarding Kula's damage output, I know it's not entirely high, but I think I remember the character not heavily being focused in that department. To start with things especially with KOF 2002 UM, KOF13 (or KOF14). She wasn't a character that did huge damage. I guess people are used to playing characters where they do moderate damage overall, but even I think Kula's overall damage isn't that bad to begin with.

In KOF14 I heard she was busted, but busted in the sense that she had strong priority with things rather than the damage output according to KOF forums. Good recovery of certain moves, safe options, overhead that's plus etc. Course this is what I hear from KOF14, but I do remember Kula not being entirely huge in general when it comes to damage even from the previous games.

Pai for example did very little damage, however this made up for it with Pai being one of the fastest character in DOA5 and had the best guaranteeds off the wazoo from the throws and holds. She was basically a piranha. The first bite you wouldn't feel it, but then if it bites multiple times from guaranteeds you'll start seeing how all the small damage stacks up where it leads to big results.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD