Lets talk about redesigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jadeinchains

Personally for me my two favorites of his armours are DOA5 and DOA6, I actually really like his doa6 one even though people seem to have a problem with it.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Beautiful. :)

DjKQaiZV4AAyYSK.jpg:orig

Tyaren

Standard Donor
They improved the characters so much. Tekken 7 literally stands no chance compared to this game graphics wise

That's what I told everyone for years in several forums. XD I knew the next DOA would vindicate me.
The feeble excuse, which I often heard, that better character models aren't possible in 60fps 3D fighting games, is exactly that: Just an excuse.
Injustice 2 already partly proved that, but that was a 2.5D fighting game...

The only thing bothering me on Helena's character model is the texture resolution of that one blown up flower on her right breast. That was lazily upscaled and looks low res now.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
That's what I told everyone for years in several forums. XD I knew the next DOA would vindicate me.
The feeble excuse, which I often heard, that better character models aren't possible in 60fps 3D fighting games, is exactly that: Just an excuse.
Injustice 2 already partly proved that, but that was a 2.5D fighting game...

The only thing bothering me on Helena's character model is the texture resolution of that one blown up flower on her right breast. That was lazily upscaled and looks low res now.
You really have an eye for detail huh? It does look low res. I’m happy characters get multiple costumes.
Is it just the lighting ir does Helena have green eyes? pretty sure she's supposed to have blue or cyan eyes.
Her eyes are a mixture of green and blue.

Jadeinchains

She looks amazing! Doa6 is 100% the best looking fighting game this gen imo. Damn EVO's doa event starts this upcoming Saturday it can't arrive soon enough! :<
If there's a reveal ( which I'm sure there must be ) I wonder If they'll kick off their doa event with the reveal or wait until the end?

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Hopefully they fix a few more details, DOA6 looks good but they still need to fix details like her hair and that bow, they look literally ported out of DOA5 and haven't changed much, but the skin and everything else looks more solid at least like how games like Dissidia and SF and Tekken have. I have a feeling if they keep improving the game, it has the potential to be the best looking game but only if they don't donwgrade anything at release or stop at how it looks now

Tyaren

Standard Donor
The hair bow is probably the exact same of DOA5, but who cares if it already back then looked great? There is only so much that you could actually improve on a hair bow.
The hair, and I explained that in detail before, may look the same at a first glance, but it is actually made of a much higher quality polygon model and textures. Textures might not be new but they are of higher resolution.
Helena's DOA5 hair, as any character, had visible polygon edges if you looked a bit closer. Now everything is completely rounded.
If one watches Helena move one can also see that her ponytail has much more links now that allow for it to flow much smoother. Unfortunately the hair physics are still a bit wonky right now. But they can fix that, Kasumi's hair physics already work well.
Looking at Helena footage frame by frame I also noticed hair mesh deformation that wasn't in place in DOA5. When Helena's ponytail rests on her shoulder or brushes against her body its cross section does not remain a circle but deforms into an oval, which simulates contraction and expansion of the hair strand under its own weight. That's a cool detail. So far those physics were only applied to the girls' chests in DOA5LR and DOAX3. ;)

I think one can infer that Team Ninja stuck to the characters' exact DOA5 look (which includes facial structure and hair) for artistical reasons and not because they were too lazy and cheap to change them. If that was the case they would just have ported the old models (like Namco did with Soul Calibur 6) to DOA6. But the models are remodelled and retextured. It seems they really just wanted to stick to the same look and stylistic and improve those in finer detail.

Last edited:

Hayabusiness

It's really cool to hear they are applying the physics to more than breasts and slight muscle movement, especially after the clipping hell in 5. I hope they do this for clothing and accessories too.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
It's really cool to hear they are applying the physics to more than breasts and slight muscle movement, especially after the clipping hell in 5. I hope they do this for clothing and accessories too.

It also proves the "Soft Engine", which was just a combination of different physics features that you also find in other current games, is still possible in DOA6.

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Far from perfect character model comparisons but it'll do:

4hvxcx2lc4yy4vlzg.jpg

82qiddld8hthsj8zg.jpg

Imo a big improvement. :) The characters look even more beautiful now. One also has to keep in mind that the DOA5 shots are from DOA5LR, which is a current generation remaster with better lighting. If you would compare DOA5 vanilla (PS3/Xbox360) with DOA6 the jump would appear even bigger.

Jadeinchains

Thanks for the comparison, And it really is beautiful, everything looks so good! And that lighting! :D I'm so excited for EVO and what we might see and it starts on Friday too! :D

MegaMegaMike

I main Mila, but also really like Hitomi and Ayane. I've always been a fan of casual clothes for characters that have a normal life. For Mila I love her 2nd outfit in DOA5 with the plaid shirt. Something like that would be what I want as an outfit. Keep the shorter hair for Mila too. I like the letterman jacket for Hitomi, but she can be a bit different. Ayane probably won't change much, and I am a-okay with that. Give me a cool ninja jumpsuit and I'm in there!

Ninoasker

What an improvement! :)

n0bw7iicidcmkbyzg.jpg
Damn, they even put effort in making the nails look good. They have actual depth in the bump that separates them from the skin, they even shine LOL, looking at the details they're putting in 6 is making it pretty difficult to look at 5 the same way I used to :p
Let's hope they apply the same level of detail the hands have to the feet, too, so the fighters stop having these... potatoes, for feet.
maxresdefault.jpg

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Damn, they even put effort in making the nails look good. They have actual depth in the bump that separates them from the skin, they even shine LOL, looking at the details they're putting in 6 is making it pretty difficult to look at 5 the same way I used to :p
Let's hope they apply the same level of detail the hands have to the feet, too, so the fighters stop having these... potatoes, for feet.
maxresdefault.jpg

Actually...the DOA5 feet were for the PS3/Xbox360 generation highly polished. They still look better than anything you find in Tekken 7 or Soul Calibur 6. XD

This is how the feet looked in SC5 and how they also look in SC6, since they simply reuse the same models:

37260sc5_pub_hss_xiba1_001.jpg

Let's zoom in a little, shall we?

foot.jpg

If the DOA5 feet are potatoes, what are these? XD

You don't need to worry though, the DOA6 feet are just as polished as the hand as the footage that we have already seen confirms. Best pic I could find:

ga1bfyokx373m8rzg.jpg

Last edited:
Far from perfect character model comparisons but it'll do:

4hvxcx2lc4yy4vlzg.jpg

82qiddld8hthsj8zg.jpg

Imo a big improvement. :) The characters look even more beautiful now. One also has to keep in mind that the DOA5 shots are from DOA5LR, which is a current generation remaster with better lighting. If you would compare DOA5 vanilla (PS3/Xbox360) with DOA6 the jump would appear even bigger.
I prefer DOA5 Elena, more tbh.
Smaller boobs aside Elena now looks more like a model with to much make up
Hayate looks better now but I really don't care about him.
Kasumi looks good if we forget her horrible costume.
God know what would happen with Ayane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD