Lets talk about redesigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

SaihateDYNAMO

...so now's the time we finally drag modern DOA's stage designs? im here for this!!
giphy.gif

Like some have said previously, TN is BROAK and don’t have the funds to actually do Uncharted-level graphics for the stages (realistically, no fighting game dev can), but I don't think legibifou made those images to say the backdrops had to be THAT detailed, considering that yes, fighting games need to run at a constant 60fps. It was just proof of concept for something that can be done to make the stages much more groundbreaking, which DOA has been doing since the Dreamcast days. It's not (completely) a matter of budget if what we're getting now doesn't have the same amount of soul that the older stages had. If the PS2 and Xbox can handle stuff like the pics below, then it shouldn't be too crazy to ask for it on a PS4. Stages like these still look great not because of the texture quality or amount of polygons but because there seems to have been some effort and research put into making them look like their own vast worlds. Literally ANYWHERE can be a DOA stage.
doauthe_great_opera_2-jpg.2144
latest

Team Ninja - These thing can't explode, cancel it
That's essentially what they're doing now!

None of the locales are jaw dropping for the most part. Yeah, it's awesome to be able to knock my opponent into a car and watch both blast off into the distance, but besides the actual danger zones themselves, what else is there for me to look at, and yes i'm talking about how dull Road Rage looks. TN now seems to be designing stages based on how crazy and "cinematic" they can be instead of making the fighting itself be the main source of the action, and having the stages work alongside the fighting in unison. Look at the Aerosmith DOA intros. I always used to compare them to certain martial arts movies because the characters were fighting in literal everyday locations and didn't have to rely on exaggerated special effects to make the fighting and the visuals flow. With the camera angles in the intros, some of these fights really did feel like kung-fu flicks partly thanks to the stages. They were unique, colorful, and had atmosphere while being unobtrusive toward the main focus, which was the fighting.
giphy.gif

In this gif, danger zones are constantly being triggered but it flows nice and quick with the fighting, while also making the stage feel more alive without overdoing it. They feel like they are an actual part of the environment, something that I feel that DOA6's stages lack. You can't pull off action like that in those stages. To make Road Rage look better they literally could have just made it rain like the Burai Zenin to make the crash more dramatic! DOA 2-4's stages were mostly static and didn't have much going on in the background but it was the aesthetic appeal of some of them that really sold the action. Now DOA's stages need to have either explosions or car crashes to cover up the fact that the stage itself is merely just X items placed in a circle/square shape to form an arena...

Stage_LostParadise_Gimmick_03.jpg

This aerial shot of Lost Paradise kinda shows what i'm talking about (look at the rocks above the water slide). In terms of where this part of the stage is taking place, those rocks technically don't need to be there, and if they DID, they should have designed that part of the stage with something a little more creative instead of just slapping rocks in a circle lol. DOA stages have had square and circular designs obviously but it was because the environments allowed for them, aka it wasn't obvious that they're restricting where you're supposed to be fighting. Instead, they're now taking a similar approach that Virtua Fighter's been doing with their stages by creating these amazing backdrops with some arena in the middle (yet VF managed to do that better too because the backdrops are actually cool).

The closest stage concept that COULD be one of the old, great DOA stages is Forbidden Fortune but even that stage suffers from issues like strange lighting and a boring color scheme. But hey, at least every stage doesn't look grey, dusty, and brown like in DOA5, right?

Talk about complaining with a belly full.
Nothing wrong with giving ideas to make the game look even better imo. Just because it's not constant praise doesn't strictly mean it's complaining >.>

Since this post kinda gives off negative vibes i'll probaby be labeled as some soof Debbie Downer who hates DOA6 and thinks TN's being lazy which isn't my point. at all. I know they’re on a budget and I know they have a deadline.

Last edited:

Onryoki

Standard Donor
Sure, the lightning could improve, but I have to disagree with how “dull” the stages are. These stages so far look pretty good and seem interesting to fight in, I hope that they’ll add stages with less danger zones too so we have some variety instead of danger zones everywhere.

Macca Beam

Really brings out the beauty in 5's character designs too
Since Brute didn't address this part, I will. Whatever good that's left in the models were ruined by the incredibly low quality gloss shader. Now everything looks even more like Skyrim/Illusion plastic fucktoys than they already do.

XxSakuraLuvaxX

Literally ANYWHERE can be a DOA stage.

characters were fighting in literal everyday locations

unobtrusive toward the main focus, which was the fighting.

making the stage feel more alive without overdoing it. They feel like they are an actual part of the environment, something that I feel that DOA6's stages lack.

Now DOA's stages need to have either explosions or car crashes to cover up the fact that the stage itself is merely just X items placed in a circle/square shape to form an arena...

nailed it right on the head.. i even get the vibes from doa5 that it was boring box stages + okay what danger zones can we add to make it exciting. doa4 can't relate, she's never experienced that feeling before

...the day we get character modelling this detailed and polished in a DOA/3D fighting game...
after playing sc6 maining taki and seeing her 2 polygons of a boob and pointy blurry fingers holding a painted stick dagger I am very content with doa6 at least cleaning up previous assets while also making some new ones here and there. especially considering the quality that doa5 already had. the ugly hair can still go though
[IMG='width:459px;']https://i.imgur.com/jH3mZsx.png[/IMG]

Tyaren

Standard Donor
...seeing her 2 polygons of a boob and pointy blurry fingers holding a painted stick dagger...

Jennifer-Morrison-ClappingLaughing.gif

On a serious note, the DOA6 models are well made even though they reuse some old assets (but DOA5's characters/non-DLC costumes were already of very high quality back then, so they still hold up well). They are not among the best you'll see this generation, but they leave at least Tekken 7 and Soul Calibur 6 far behind in the dust.
I'm really looking forward to the new female character or rather her character model. It will be made completely from scratch and it'll look great for sure.

Macca Beam

that sow stole way more things than just that

the question is will the new character model be a different body type for fucking twice. this series is almost up there with tekken in terms of everything rooking same.

Macca Beam

nah, 3d artists are a dime a dozen. we're not getting that level of detail because of other reasons though
1) it's still a long way to go until we get UNIFORM hardware (i.e. not a PC) that pulls off two models like that plus a stage, preferably also like that, at 60fps
2) fighting games are a versus/tournament focused genre and not the best graphic wank platform. aside from performance concerns, you just don't have an audience that will examine every nook and cranny of your character models during a serious fight

and frankly, i'd rather take fully stylized but well-done artstyles like kof13 and xrd over another poor attempt at realism. every character in spider-man looks off as HELL with robotic expressions no matter how well-sculpted the guy's backside is in loading screens, and every day team ninja is digging deeper and deeper into the uncanny valley with their realistic-but-not-really models.

Dr PaC

nailed it right on the head.. i even get the vibes from doa5 that it was boring box stages + okay what danger zones can we add to make it exciting. doa4 can't relate, she's never experienced that feeling before

after playing sc6 maining taki and seeing her 2 polygons of a boob and pointy blurry fingers holding a painted stick dagger I am very content with doa6 at least cleaning up previous assets while also making some new ones here and there. especially considering the quality that doa5 already had. the ugly hair can still go though
jH3mZsx.png

I thought I was the only one who was bothered by that

Macca Beam

eh, the fat long nosed man actually stood out. nyotengu didn't bring anything new to the table

i'd keep the boss count at 1 though, since i'd rather have more grounded fighting styles that usually only come with non-boss, non-naruto characters

human013

As long as the bosses are not crazy like SC's Inferno or all of KOF's bosses then any number should be fine. Alpha was fine in DOA5 and Algol was fine in SC so it's not unheard of. If boss characters are returning then Genra should come back just so all the boss characters can have an appearance in a modern game. That and I want some characters in armor.

SaihateDYNAMO

Nyo needs more of a tengu theme, and by that I mean something consistent that involves the long nose, the most iconic part of Tengu's design. The feather fan was kinda bare minimum and a given. They should have made the mask she wore in like, two promotional images default or something so that before reading her name when someone looks at her for the first time, they automatically know right off the bat that she's the "Female Tengu" (because god forbid they actually give a female character red or brown skin and a long nose, something something sexual dimorphism). In 5LR only a couple (4?) of her outfits have the mask as an OPTION, and out of them only 2 have it on by default. Instead, it should be her standard accessory . She doesn't even have to outright wear it on her face for some of them if it'll clutter their designs, just strap that hoe to the side like Ayane used to do with her mask lol.

Right now, design-wise, she's just the traditionally-dressed Japanese chick that literally every fighting game has... but with wings. wow, the tengu jumped out!!!!!!!
I hope her DOA6 art means we'll at least be able to use the mask with her default...
img-nyotengu.png

...aw who am i kidding, this is TN we're talking about lmaoo

nyotengu didn't bring anything new to the table
I can name two new, big, bouncy things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD