DOA5LR Mai Shiranui DOA5 Last Round Gameplay Discussion

Xhominid The Demon Within

This isn't a footsies type of game. DoA is a naturally aggressive game, 1-2 seconds will very rarely make a huge impact unless it's the final five seconds. (Which also rarely happens). The fireball game only works in 2D fighters because it actually has a usage for oki (meaties) and it a legit pressure too in zoning because 2D fighters have chip damage. Saying 1-2 seconds makes a big difference because of "fan oki" is essentially saying that taunting or back dashing is oki because it's wasting the time.

how is Nyotengu meant to be played offensively?

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Ah yo, all her holds have more recovery than the cast. Not that it's a big problem, but situational cases could arise there. Pretty random actually.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Ah yo, all her holds have more recovery than the cast. Not that it's a big problem, but situational cases could arise there. Pretty random actually.
Oh really? I guess that means you can't just throw out holds with her like the other characters and hope to successfully hold an attack, you gotta be smart and actually cautious but it makes sense with her speed and damage output an' all that.

system11

Standard Donor
Ok this is driving me crazy and I need help. I'm going through the command training and I can't seem to get any 'with back to foe' moves to work at all, How do you turn her around properly?

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Ok this is driving me crazy and I need help. I'm going through the command training and I can't seem to get any 'with back to foe' moves to work at all, How do you turn her around properly?

SSP+K or knocking them down with H+K on NH and then jumping over them with 9P.

SSP+K or knocking them down with H+K on NH and then jumping over them with 9P.

Well It's not that bad. It's just giving other players a easier time to play the stun game on you if you hold so much, but it isn't generally bad. Hardly noticeable if anything.

For example, you may find players that will put a deep stun on you and then walk sideways expecting you to hold. If you hold right away, they may attack you in the initial frames upon recovery after the holds were active.

system11

Standard Donor

I did her command training, messed around a bit, and ended up selecting Helena as usual. Same fate as Naotora who I'd wanted to learn.

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
Impressions and opinions

Mai is fantastic. But, I need to explain a few things.
Cancelable moves
* 236+P (Warning: As I suspected, Kachosen... her fan projectile, can be held high at close range. Don't rely on this ending block strings). You can utilize this for stopping midrange strings and for pestering impatient opponent who are whiffing a lot (this will not happen too often if you are in a tournament setting, so use these sparingly).

* 214+P = Ryuuenbuu. In her residential series, this was usually safe on block (both the light and hard versions), in this game it is throw punishable and does not offer a lot push back.

* 236+K = Hissatsu Shinobo Bachi. Obviously unsafe on block but it is a damn good combo finishing in a lot of situations. The player should notice that there are plenty of strings that end with this move. That also goes for Ryuuenbu as well.

* 9P ~ P+K. Air Musasabi. Mai can also cancel this from her jumping normals as well. This is a reference to how KOF generally works with its jump system (it would be diabolical to add hops and hyper-hops. Jumping is enough). The will notice that jumping may cause Mai to evade a lot of stuff, but Mai herself still needs to be careful and utilize this to catch opponents off guard or while at a frame advantage.

* 214+P+K = Kagero no Mai. Mai wraps herself with crimson flames, burning nearby opponents. In Fatal Fury and KOF, this is often utilized as a reversal. Here, it can actually function as a launcher or a combo extender in certain situations (especially at the wall).

... I also like how Mai has an air throw. Mai is no slacker when it comes to combo finishers. Makes me wonder if it is plausible to play Mai as a stun and launch character because she a few decent mid punch and mid kick launches and the juggle damage can become pretty nifty.

More information coming because I am not on the game right now.

Kirito

Just something I noticed messing around in the lab.

Ryuuenbu (214P) and Hissatsu (236K) both do more damage as cancels and standalone moves than they do in-string. Not sure if this is true for the rest of the DOA cast, but for Mai, yeah.
Ryuuenbu's damage on NH while opponent is standing is 15+7, while in-string it's 12+6
Similarly, Hissatsu is 20+10 while it's in-string variant is 17+8

Just something I noticed, nothing too major. While her damage output is very good, she doesn't get much reward from extending threshold, so don't both CB-ing with Mai. Her stun game isn't particularly strong anyway since her strings are telegraphed and she lacks a good mid K stun (besides 6PKK but that's in-string).

Something I noticed is that Mai's movement while juggling opponents is much further than most characters. Just using Hissatsu alone can carry an opponent halfway across the stage, so use that to your advantage to get that delicious wall damage. Especially with Kagerou no Mai.

I'd say Mai is primarily a CH stun-launch character (with like a metric ton of high and low crushes) with an excellent environmental game. Her wall damage is beyond amazing, she can get a +frame unholdable off of a wall juggle and Hissatsu has great mobility across the stage.

I am definitely liking her so far. She's up there with Mai and Phase for best DLC addition to the cast.

She has one major weakness though, and that's linearity. Even with tracking moves, Marie Rose can avoid most, if not, all of them with Minuet. She's probably Mai's worst match-up at the moment IMO.

Xhominid The Demon Within

Ryuuenbu (214P) and Hissatsu (236K) both do more damage as cancels and standalone moves than they do in-string. Not sure if this is true for the rest of the DOA cast, but for Mai, yeah.

I think that makes alot of sense to ultimately give a reason to use those outside of their main sequences.

Kirito

Also one more thing - Kachousen can extend stun even after reaching max threshold or a CB for some reason. It doesn't cause a knockdown or a reset, but any follow-up move will.

SilverForte

Her 2p is bleh, i13 and -1 on hit. I think 2k is better for quick crushes, as you get an actual stun on CH and its only 1 frame slower. Stinks that she doesnt have a quick low to press advantage with though.

Her 6k is strange, it gives the same effect on hit no matter if its in stun, ch, or nh. Not really feeling it.

Still trying to figure her out, hit confirming is gonna be pretty important with this character I feel.

Also her fan has a crap ton of recovery, and it is def not +, its one of the only moves you need to attack punish on block, as for some reason she is in a ch state until she recovers.

Only 5t wall splats for some reason, 6t and 4t do not.

Oh, and Kagerou no Mai does not have any invul frames, just wanted to make sure.

SilverForte

66pk is another interesting move because Mai has virtually no recovery after she lands from the move, most of the recovery is in the air. What this means is you can whiff it and make the opponent think they can whiff punish you when in fact they can't. Now it is still punishable on block, but they have to buffer the throw input while you are in the air, too late and you can act first.

KING JAIMY

4P+K seems to be one of Mai's good tools as well. I have great difficulty punishing it because of its backward animation.

SilverForte

Yes, you actually can't punish it because the pushback is so great, Fitting because the animation is one of her blowbacks from the kof series.

Her CB is also a great move by itself, great range for whiff punishing, and great stun. It's similar to Milas CB in that regard.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD