New to FSD? Introduce yourself here.

ACSeraph

Wow, I'm glad to hear you've played and enjoyed Metal Black. It's not a very well known game outside of hardcore shmup circles, despite being utterly badass. If you like that one I strongly suggest also trying out Darius Gaiden. Metal Black originally started out as Darius III, so it has a lot of similarities to that series. Both games run on the same board with a similar engine. Very stylish 2D but also kinda 3D trippy graphics. gaiden is also a pretty beginner friendly shmup (though not easy by any means).

Sounds like you've got a pretty good collection going there. Recently a few Japanese developers have taken notice of Steam which bodes well for PC players future. Crimson Clover is a really major release, one of the most significant of the past few years, and it actually is a PC exclusive which is pretty unusual for major Japanese shmups.

(Oh and just a tip on Ikaruga, one thing that can help a lot in survival is simply not shooting. By not killing things you don't have to deal with confusing suicide bullets and can just focus on the patterns. When things get really overwhelming this is often the best strategy for survival though it obviously hurts your score.)

Silkylinks

Yo, Silkylinks here, also known as DJ_Lightbringer in a lot of places. I'm pretty new to DoA, only really been playing for a week, but I really want to get as good as I can in the game, because I enjoy it a lot. I play on PS4, mainly because it's the only system I have right now, but if anyone would like to have some long sets I'd totally be down! I main Hayate and I'm trying to learn Rachel at the moment.

Toi Stori

Hey folks, I've been playing dead or alive consistently since DOA2 on Sega dreamcast. Only recently have I gotten into the technical aspects of the game. I realized the talent out there via YouTube/Facebook and quickly realized that I have a LOT to learn lol. I main Ayane, and I play on the Xbox One (DOALR). I look forward to meeting and sparring with everyone!

smartypants9567

Hello, I am a competitive Soul Calibur player from 8wayrun. The Soul Calibur scene is pretty much dead, and the community has found comfort somewhere else. Some even in FreeStepDodge! I am learning Kasumi at the moment, just because I think she is the easiest to learn, but the DOA fighting system is going to have to take sometime getting used to. Also, I am thinking about getting either Xbox One or Playstation 4. I am debating on this because in the SC community, the number of players on Xbox and Playstation is about 50/50 but when it comes to tournaments, we always play with PS3. So with the two new consoles, and joining a new community, I prefer to play the one with the bigger community, but I think I am leaning towards PS4 just because I am so used to PS3. What console do you guys play on at tournaments? Any tips on Kasumi? Thanks!

TumblingDonut

What's up everyone, I'm coming from DOA World. I've been a fan of DOA since the PS1 days and when DOA4 came out, I decided to get more in depth with the gameplay. I specialize more in 2d fighters, but DOA was one of the 3d fighters that I appreciated besides VF and Tekken.

Following the release of vanilla DOA5, I wanted to start playing more competitively, but I stopped playing due to other commitments. Due to this, I missed out on all the updates and I was reluctant to continue playing because I had moved on to the new gen consoles.

However, after the announcement of LR coming to XBONE and PS4, it sparked my interest back in the DOA series plus Raidou was making a comeback lol.

Besides that, I'm back in the lab training and looking forward to any challengers. I play on both XBONE and PS4 so if anybody is interested in having some sparring sessions to help me improve on my gameplay, feel free to add me. My name is the same on both XBL and PSN.

Blacklink20

Hello, I am a competitive Soul Calibur player from 8wayrun. The Soul Calibur scene is pretty much dead, and the community has found comfort somewhere else. Some even in FreeStepDodge! I am learning Kasumi at the moment, just because I think she is the easiest to learn, but the DOA fighting system is going to have to take sometime getting used to. Also, I am thinking about getting either Xbox One or Playstation 4. I am debating on this because in the SC community, the number of players on Xbox and Playstation is about 50/50 but when it comes to tournaments, we always play with PS3. So with the two new consoles, and joining a new community, I prefer to play the one with the bigger community, but I think I am leaning towards PS4 just because I am so used to PS3. What console do you guys play on at tournaments? Any tips on Kasumi? Thanks!

Hey, welcome! I can't really offer any tips, but if you want to have a few fun sparring matches, you can add me on Psn for PS3.
Psn: Blacklink27

TheRealCoxinator

What's up everyone, I'm coming from DOA World. I've been a fan of DOA since the PS1 days and when DOA4 came out, I decided to get more in depth with the gameplay. I specialize more in 2d fighters, but DOA was one of the 3d fighters that I appreciated besides VF and Tekken.

Following the release of vanilla DOA5, I wanted to start playing more competitively, but I stopped playing due to other commitments. Due to this, I missed out on all the updates and I was reluctant to continue playing because I had moved on to the new gen consoles.

However, after the announcement of LR coming to XBONE and PS4, it sparked my interest back in the DOA series plus Raidou was making a comeback lol.

Besides that, I'm back in the lab training and looking forward to any challengers. I play on both XBONE and PS4 so if anybody is interested in having some sparring sessions to help me improve on my gameplay, feel free to add me. My name is the same on both XBL and PSN.
The ps4 is definitely better, and you could try the free version while you want since Kasumi comes with it.

TumblingDonut

The ps4 is definitely better, and you could try the free version while you want since Kasumi comes with it.

I can't even argue with you on that and it's funny that you mention this because I played DOA1 on PS1 and sometimes on Sega Saturn. When DOA2 released and it came out on Dreamcast, I was excited because Dreamcast was one of my favorite systems of all time and then they released DOA2H on PS2 so I was content with everything.

But when DOA3 was announced as an Xbox exclusive, this felt like deja vu because I had to buy another gaming console just to enjoy DOA, but it wasn't a problem. So of course I was prepared when DOA4 was released because I had bought a 360 on launch day just for the DOA4 release that happened a month later. When I purchased vanilla DOA5, of course I bought it on 360 because I was so used to the series being an Xbox exclusive.

I bought LR on XBONE the day it released, but after watching tournaments in the past with previous versions of DOA5, they played on PS3 and with recent tournaments like Winter Brawl 9 and FR18, I noticed that it's now being played on PS4. This motivated me to download the PS4 version of Core Fighters to try it on PS4 and while I enjoy all consoles, I absolutely agree with LR playing better on PS4 and I'm not even trying to biased about that. The PS4 is so smooth for DOA because playing on XBONE, it feels clunky at times and sometimes it messes up my execution, but the PS4 controller fits perfectly for fighting games. This is what also made me purchase the PS4 version of LR and while I have LR on both consoles, I will mainly be on PS4 without a doubt.

TheRealCoxinator

I can't even argue with you on that and it's funny that you mention this because I played DOA1 on PS1 and sometimes on Sega Saturn. When DOA2 released and it came out on Dreamcast, I was excited because Dreamcast was one of my favorite systems of all time and then they released DOA2H on PS2 so I was content with everything.

But when DOA3 was announced as an Xbox exclusive, this felt like deja vu because I had to buy another gaming console just to enjoy DOA, but it wasn't a problem. So of course I was prepared when DOA4 was released because I had bought a 360 on launch day just for the DOA4 release that happened a month later. When I purchased vanilla DOA5, of course I bought it on 360 because I was so used to the series being an Xbox exclusive.

I bought LR on XBONE the day it released, but after watching tournaments in the past with previous versions of DOA5, they played on PS3 and with recent tournaments like Winter Brawl 9 and FR18, I noticed that it's now being played on PS4. This motivated me to download the PS4 version of Core Fighters to try it on PS4 and while I enjoy all consoles, I absolutely agree with LR playing better on PS4 and I'm not even trying to biased about that. The PS4 is so smooth for DOA because playing on XBONE, it feels clunky at times and sometimes it messes up my execution, but the PS4 controller fits perfectly for fighting games. This is what also made me purchase the PS4 version of LR and while I have LR on both consoles, I will mainly be on PS4 without a doubt.
That and the xbone pad fucks up sometimes.

Yare Yare

Good day everyone. Obviously im new here as well. Nothing much to say about myself, im 27 (probably a bit older than the majority here?), other than playing DoA I like to read manga and I also play smash bros, trying to reach at least a decent competitive level there. As both games, doa and smash, are more about mindgames I guess these games go well with each other.

My main is Eliot and im beginning to get interested in Jacky. As im far from good in DoA I'd like to ask if there are tutorials about the basics here. Like how you approach, when to use counter and maybe basics which apply for all characters.

EDIT: never mind about the last part, found this: http://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/toptier-tips-guide-for-help-with-doa5-including-lr.5500/ and it seems to be just what I needed.

Last edited:

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor

Welcome smartypants9567! Although I think there are easier characters to learn, such as Momiji, Hitomi & Rachel for example, Kasumi's a decent starting point. This may help out: http://www.freestepdodge.com/thread...y-doa5lr-kasumi-comprehensive-breakdown.2921/

If you're new to DOA5, then the guide that @Yare Yare posted would likely help you out: https://files.acrobat.com/a/preview/2cc9307a-88b6-49e5-a3a2-bb59981ce603

Good luck and enjoy your stay at FSD!

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD