Ninja Gaiden Thread

Brute

Standard Donor
A no-hit MN is pretty much a perfect run of the game. How the hell did he manage that¿
I watched a player do it on Youtube, but he didn't do it in one sitting (you could see where he edited, having re-loaded at save points, etc.). I'm note sure how/if it can truly be done from start to end. It's a decent sized story, so one-sitting requires dedication. I can't confirm/denounce his claim as it is POSSIBLE, just very difficult. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt because I'm a nice guy like that, but it does sorta tear at my skeptical nature. =P

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
I skipped unnecessary encounters, for starters. Notice how I said I almost took damage when I missed a wall-run? Had I done every single possible fight in that run, I'm not sure I could have avoided damage. But realistically, attacking only when you have an opening isn't difficult to do when the only game you play for months straight is NGB, and not too many enemies have the ability to guard-break you and still hit you before you recover. Ishtaros was the true bitch of the game, but Lunar is the best counter to her. Other than grabs, nothing can get through your block, so...

In any case, had they let us keep Intercept from HP1 we wouldn't even be having this discussion. A no-damage, all-encounters run on MN would have been the accomplishment expected of the hardcore fans! I miss Intercept...

synce

I remember playing through the NG1 demo like 20 times in one day, and it took me like 20 days to get around to finishing the NG3 demo once. When NG1 finally came out it took me like 10 tries to beat Alma, and there was a part where I actually wasn't sure where to go next because the world was so huge. In today's games though you have a mini-map and a button dedicated to telling you where to go. :(

Brute

Standard Donor
Other than grabs, nothing can get through your block, so...
Not really. The first example that comes to mind is the Ogre's ground-pound. The flying laser-copters in the military base also guard break, iirc. Rockets from RPGs also deal shave damage if you block them (which in a no-dmg run ruins your mojo). Several other enemies deal shave damage without grabs (laser cyclops enemies in the maze before Doku), not to mention the vast majority of bosses (pterodactly, yotunfrau, the Emporer's first form, etc.), though they tend to be easier to dodge than normal enemies.

Forlorn Penguin

Premium Donor
In today's games though you have a mini-map and a button dedicated to telling you where to go. :(

Reminds of The Elder Scrolls. Oblivion and Skyrim are just way too easy. Morrowind never gave you a quest marker. Your quest giver just gave you directions and you had to remember them as you traversed the huge world, with no fast travel other than local transit stops.

I miss the real TES games. IV and V sucked and VI will no doubt be even worse.

Anyway, I wouldn't mind going through Ninja Gaiden Black again. I don't own my own copy though, and don't have a strong enough urge to play again to make me want to buy it.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Not really. The first example that comes to mind is the Ogre's ground-pound. The flying laser-copters in the military base also guard break, iirc. Rockets from RPGs also deal shave damage if you block them (which in a no-dmg run ruins your mojo). Several other enemies deal shave damage without grabs (laser cyclops enemies in the maze before Doku), not to mention the vast majority of bosses (pterodactly, yotunfrau, the Emporer's first form, etc.), though they tend to be easier to dodge than normal enemies.

Context, my friend. I was talking about Ishtaros lol. Her big laser attack actually can go through your guard but if you're in her face with Lunar (which I was talking about), she never does it.

Brute

Standard Donor
Context, my friend. I was talking about Ishtaros lol. Her big laser attack actually can go through your guard but if you're in her face with Lunar (which I was talking about), she never does it.
Yeah, so can her swing land, but again, she won't really do that if you keep pressure on her close-up.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Her AI gets stuck in a loop if you strike a few times, evade her attack, then rinse and repeat. She'll just keep going til she either smacks the shit out of you or dies. It's kind of humorous, actually. I've had her jump out to swing around the arena once, but then you can either try to time a helm-splitter (forget what Lunar's is called) to abuse i-frames or just run around the "walls" of the arena like a pussy. No risk, no reward.

Brute

Standard Donor
I've had her jump out to swing around the arena once, but then you can either try to time a helm-splitter (forget what Lunar's is called) to abuse i-frames or just run around the "walls" of the arena like a pussy. No risk, no reward.
I usually charge up the 360 TDS UT. Generally the timing is not too hard, as long as you're playing with sound.

Brute

Standard Donor
At 5% health, maybe. Otherwise it's like saying real men ride tricycles haha.
Sadly without UT spams that's nearly impossible to do, as almost every enemy you kill at that health with drop a blue orb.

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
Wait, THAT'S what those blue things did? I always thought they were just for fully charged UTs instantly...

;)

Brute

Standard Donor
Wait, THAT'S what those blue things did? I always thought they were just for fully charged UTs instantly...

;)
UT spamming is for chumps (unless you're playing Xbox NG2, in which case it's pretty much necessary).

CyberEvil

Master Ninja
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Donor
If I'm playing with the UF as my primary weapon, I'm already a chump. Just saying.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD