Offical Helena Gameplay Discussion Thread

Akumasama

So Helena's "sidestep" move from Bokuho (2_8+PK) can avoid single strikes that are not tracking.
I wonder if anybody knows the exact frame data?
I mean, some strikes are too fast and still hit you despite being not tracking, so there's gotta be a threshold and strikes that are faster than that will hit you, everything else won't.

Anybody knows what this threshold is?

KING JAIMY

Had some really nice matches against @Akumasama today. He taught me some interesting things about the Helena matchup. Bokuho at R1F is really annoying to deal with. I didn't realize it was so threatening to start the round in Bokuho because it immediately puts you in a guessing situation.

Akumasama

I didn't realize it was so threatening to start the round in Bokuho because it immediately puts you in a guessing situation.
Yeah! Always been like this even in DoA5LR, I start like 90% of my matches from Bokuho because I like it so much, it's part of my personal style.
In DoA6 you couldn't cancel Bokuho before match start, if you entered before it, but I think they sort of fixed it now. With some errors here and there but I seem to be able to cancel Bokuho into a counter right at start with no noticeable fame disadvantage.

It's still sorta annoying to use against chars with very fast mids and/or fast tracking mids, like NiCO for example, I have several issues staring in BKO against NiCO characters.

Thanks for the matches anyway <3

KING JAIMY

Yeah! Always been like this even in DoA5LR, I start like 90% of my matches from Bokuho because I like it so much, it's part of my personal style.
In DoA6 you couldn't cancel Bokuho before match start, if you entered before it, but I think they sort of fixed it now. With some errors here and there but I seem to be able to cancel Bokuho into a counter right at start with no noticeable fame disadvantage.

It's still sorta annoying to use against chars with very fast mids and/or fast tracking mids, like NiCO for example, I have several issues staring in BKO against NiCO characters.

Thanks for the matches anyway <3
Also, I almost forgot to mention, is BKO 6P4P a natural counter hit combo? I couldn't seem to hold the 2nd part as soon as the 1st part hit me on counter. Either way, it's a great move regardless. Reminds me I should use it way more often myself.

Akumasama

In DoA5 second punch is guaranteed if the first connects, no matter if normal, counter or hi counter hit.
In DoA6 it wasn't like this and OmeganHeckart reported it, I got held on second punch several times too even if the first punch landed.

Now I'm not sure anymore if things are still like that or if they have ninja-reversed it without mentioning it in the patch notes /shrug

Last edited:

Akumasama

Uuuuh, big deal.
But all the changes seem to be quite small tbf.

Don't think we're gonna see any major overhaul for any character until a new version of the game, I'm afraid.

Akumasama

When I said "all the changes" I meant all characters. On a first glance I didn't spot anything particularly big, just small stuff of the sort of what Helena got.

Again, doubt anything big is gonna happen until a new "version" of DoA6.

Cyberratchet

After playing Helena for the first few days and switching exclusively to Leifang (and a bit of Mai atm, lovely character), I want to give the Grand Dame of DoA another chance.
Yesterday I got my ass handed to me and fell back to C rank, but it looks like I finally got to a positive win ratio again.
There are still times where characters with fast frames and especially those with gap closers like NiCo and Ayane can overwhelm and destroy me.

1)
Probably a weird one, but how are you guys using Teishitsu to evade mids? Does anyone know the frames involved with Teishitsu, the training mode doesn’t show how long it takes to be able to evade mids and how long that state lasts? I’m not sure if you can use it on reaction, I certainly can’t. It feels like mids hit me most of the times if I only duck once. I haven’t watched that many Helena gameplay videos yet, but I noticed that its common to duck twice. Visually it looks like the time where you can be hit is quite small and in training mode it feels like I have more success evading mids if I duck twice.
Is that just a placebo effect or does it make sense to use Teishitsu more than once? You obviously have to be careful of low throws, but I don’t intend to duck five times in a row.

2)
Any general tips against fast characters, besides the obvious ones? I try to get my turn by using high crushes, throw punishing (common mid strings on fast characters seem to be throw punishable) and slightly get out of P range to whiff punish and starting my own mixup hell. Is there anything else you can do if you have a Nico, Ayane, Kasumi or similar characters right in front of you. You can always hold if they are predictable, so there’s that.

3)
The most annoying characters are the fast ones with good spacing. If Ayane or Nico get a life lead and they want to play for time, it’s getting stressful for me. 66K can be decent if you space it well, but if the opponent knows what you’re doing you can easily eat a fan from Mai or a Thunderbold from Nico. What’s you guys strat in those situations?

KwonJigglypuff

Interesting list from Emann. Are you guys still having fun with Helena ?

giphy.gif

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD