Team NINJA Social Media Updates for DOA6

Anura

@human013

Having more players wouldn't ruin DOA. If it had more players, TN wouldn't need to monetize the game so aggressively. Plus, they'd have an incentive to keep the gameplay interesting since more revenue would come from sales of the base game.

Regarding the FGC, there are many players who only care about one franchise and like to talk shit about other games. There isn't much that can be done about that. We don't need TMM SWE praising DOA. Just focus on the ones willing to give DOA a chance.

Fans of other fighting games don't necessarily dislike sex appeal, violence, anime or anime girls in bikinis. KT just needs to release a good game, keep the promotional material tasteful (other games have lewd stuff too) and not piss off their audience.

They could monetize a fighting game like a gacha game but needs the right audience, and content to make it last for years.

I'm not saying it could never happen, but there has to be a reason Cygames and ArcSys didn't try to do that with GBFV.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
On the DOA topic and balance, I still think Mochi from Japan should be the one when it comes to game balance. A VF player and was also one of the best DOA4 players during that period. The guy is very very knowledgeable of DOA and a very great guy I had the pleasure to hang out with back at NEC.

Course, don't let me hanging out with the guy be one of the reasons why. I was being serious that he's very knowledgeable of DOA and he knows most of the problems around it for balance. He knows his stuff.

Last edited:

Kasumi-Phase-X

I'm not saying it could never happen, but there has to be a reason Cygames and ArcSys didn't try to do that with GBFV.

I thought the conversation was about DOA? Whatever reason Cygames & ArcSys didn't do gacha fighter is something I haven't even followed (possibly didn't want to scare FGC with what kind of money you'd spend on Gacha). DOA is under KT which are the publisher that just wants more money, even come up with business practices that wouldn't make everyone happy (Me personally wouldn't care what kind of prices I'd pay for).

If I was involve with KT (knowing how they handle their stuff) I'd be more focus on appeasing a certain demographic that are will to spend $92 (Season Pass or V-Stones), forget everyone who wants cheaper prices.

Jotamide

On the DOA topic and balance, I still think Mochi from Japan should be the one when it comes to game balance. A VF player and was also one of the best DOA4 players during that period. The guy is very very knowledgeable of DOA and a very great guy I had the pleasure to hang out with back at NEC.

Course, don't let me hanging out with the guy be one of the reasons why. I was being serious that he's very knowledgeable of DOA and he knows most of the problems around it for balance. He knows his stuff.
I think it was cool that Mochi was able to join the livestream. Even if KT has no plans right now for DOA the fighting game, him and Shimbori clearly still wanna work on it. Harada was in a similar position after TTT2 with T7 staying in arcades for so long due to a very small budget. Hopefully someone with more clout than Hayashi and Tom Lee and convince the suits to do the series and the fans justice in the near future.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
I think it was cool that Mochi was able to join the livestream. Even if KT has no plans right now for DOA the fighting game, him and Shimbori clearly still wanna work on it. Harada was in a similar position after TTT2 with T7 staying in arcades for so long due to a very small budget. Hopefully someone with more clout than Hayashi and Tom Lee and convince the suits to do the series and the fans justice in the near future.

I agree yeah. Shoutouts to Tom Lee as he's a great guy and I'll still support him till the ends of time though. I think all of DOA's current directors and developers are still good in their own right, but unfortunately they are in the grips of the higher ups which is understandable. There's just so much they can do that a lot of people don't even notice.

Mochi is that guy. We all took a break one time in a hotel room during NEC to chat on what could be changed to improve DOA's balance, Mochi stepped up like "I'd change this, improve this to make new players feel engaged, this is old and obsolete, help people stay active by moving into the sides better while improving it (neutral SS) etc."

And some of us there were like:

4GeCKrW.gif

Told TN to hire him for it, but he probably has too much on his plate I guess.

human013

Having more players wouldn't ruin DOA. If it had more players, TN wouldn't need to monetize the game so aggressively. Plus, they'd have an incentive to keep the gameplay interesting since more revenue would come from sales of the base game.

Regarding the FGC, there are many players who only care about one franchise and like to talk shit about other games. There isn't much that can be done about that. We don't need TMM SWE praising DOA. Just focus on the ones willing to give DOA a chance.

Fans of other fighting games don't necessarily dislike sex appeal, violence, anime or anime girls in bikinis. KT just needs to release a good game, keep the promotional material tasteful (other games have lewd stuff too) and not piss off their audience.
Player count wasn't the only thing the community wanted and it wasn't that long ago when everyone here desperately wanted the FGC to take DOA seriously. I haven't been here much but if the community's stance changed since then then I'm just late to the party I guess.

If we're fully embracing DOA's current practices then this is what I want for the next DOA game
  • more unique costume sets
  • lower DLC prices. Like $30 max
  • free lazy costume sets (recolors/copy and paste costumes) and a better wardrobe mode. Or just give us the ability to color the outfits
  • fully accept that DOA is a TnA game and just double down on this like SC does. Stop wasting time and energy trying to erase this and just focus on the fighting. SC has always had fanservice but you don't see them going "nuh uh". I believe part of the reason why people love to use this to shit on DOA is because DOA people constantly deny it.
  • stop creating a "safe" mode for DOA. (although I don't mind seeing the girls in spats)
  • no more of the "We made this character for the west and this one for the east" because Diego is what happens when characters are created just to get diversity points. I'd rather have Tamaki, Nico, Marie and Raidou over Rig, Mila, and Diego. Stick to what you're good at.
  • More supernatural/sci-fi/fantasy themed charcacters
All they have to do is stop flopping around and give people exactly what they expect from DOA. Good looking characters, TnA, fluid animations, and good fighting mechanics. Nothing revolutionary.

Anura

I can't speak for the community, but as someone who likes anime and fighting games, I don't see why people who like those things would be against TnA. I actually agree with you for the most part. However, the series was never exclusively about TnA. Bass pulling a truck in 2U, Gen Fu walking with his granddaughter, Leon reuniting with his dead wife in a mirage. Those things have nothing to do with TnA. I'd like to see more of that.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
I don't really have any high hopes for anything anytime soon because of COVID19 alone.

DOA was already in a pretty awful predicament without it. I don't think they will cancel the series, but I do not believe we will see anything for a while.

human013

I can't speak for the community, but as someone who likes anime and fighting games, I don't see why people who like those things would be against TnA. I actually agree with you for the most part.
There was a time when the DOA community wanted DOA6 to be taken seriously by the FGC and get into EVO. That meant getting rid of DOA's image of being a TnA focused game. There is a reason a "safe for tournament" mode exists in DOA6. Yes, a double standard exists for DOA but TnA is still one of the main complaints people have about the series.

However, the series was never exclusively about TnA. Bass pulling a truck in 2U, Gen Fu walking with his granddaughter, Leon reuniting with his dead wife in a mirage. Those things have nothing to do with TnA. I'd like to see more of that.
I know that. That is why I never said DOA was exclusively about TnA. I said DOA needs to double down on it instead of wasting time acting like it doesn't have it or is not known for it and focus on other things. Sure, those things have nothing to do with TnA but TnA is still thrown in people's faces. They both exist and one gets more attention than the other. Just don't act like it's not there or that it is not a big part of DOA.

Look at anime fighters. People put down anime games just for being anime games, but you don't see the anime community going, "No, my game is not an anime game" to legitimize their game. People also like to talk about anime fighters being bad for their waifus but you still don't see the anime community act like waifus don't exist. They accept them and even have fun with the idea in tournament streams. Remember Yuzuriha's bathwater meme or Eltnum's JAV? People say anime fighters are an unbalanced mess but somehow they still pull in large numbers and are also well respected.

I have never seen anything like that for DOA. Just for comparison from what I've seen here since DOA5
  • DOA5 and 6 ruined DOA because they added fetish costumes, but all the DOAs before 5 also had them.
  • DOA is ruined because they made DOAX3 and DOAXVV, but the DOAX series also existed before those two.
  • DOA5 and 6 ruined DOA because it went anime, but the DOAs before 5 had tengus, light sabers, lightning, magic, teleportation and colorful hair
Coming from SC and anime games, I just can't understand this mindset. It perplexes me.

Like I said before, I jumped in thinking people still wanted the same things from before EVO got canceled. If people are past that then I'm perfectly fine with that too. All I want is for DOA to be DOA (including the TnA) and if the game is good then it will naturally draw people in, just like what Under night inbirth managed to do.

Seigen

Nothing good can come out of a company that designs a game as cheaply as possible with the sole purpose of selling garbage DLC through it. Releasing DOA as a "free" version is a major red flag, a quality game should not be free. They thought they could lure in a bigger player base with a demo version of the game to be milked later with DLC. They were very wrong, nobody wants shit, even if that shit is free. So glad they got burned with the WC, hope it still hurts.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Nothing good can come out of a company that designs a game as cheaply as possible with the sole purpose of selling garbage DLC through it. Releasing DOA as a "free" version is a major red flag, a quality game should not be free. They thought they could lure in a bigger player base with a demo version of the game to be milked later with DLC. They were very wrong, nobody wants shit, even if that shit is free. So glad they got burned with the WC, hope it still hurts.

There are many free versions of fighting games. DOA isn't the only one. It's genuinely hard to get people to play the game either way so it makes sense to expose it to as many people as possible.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Not when the purpose of that exposure is to sell DLC, instead of your full game.

To their credit they make every map free. So a free player can master it to some degree, even if they don't purchase extra characters.

DOA5 also had a free edition as you know and I thought it had a decent reception.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
To their credit they make every map free. So a free player can master it to some degree, even if they don't purchase extra characters.

DOA5 also had a free edition as you know and I thought it had a decent reception.
The difference between DOA5 and DOA6 though, is the fact that it took DOA5 a longer time to release a free version. With DOA6 it was like a week, completely ruining the purpose of buying the game.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD