Team NINJA Social Media Updates for DOA6

Raansu

You guys may want to find another way to show off those videos since apparently TeruRock may flag them down for unauthorized distribution of the event(The person on the top of the Youtube comments is named Rock and he has the Lei Fang in her Oni costume that Teru Rock used alot in DOA5).

Ya one of them is gone already. Sucks to, the first match was with Hitomi. Never got a chance to watch it. Anyone know were the footage came from?

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Ya one of them is gone already. Sucks to, the first match was with Hitomi. Never got a chance to watch it. Anyone know were the footage came from?
From that Max gaming festival a day or two ago, he streamed the little tourney for like 10 hours and even after that he also streamed some players playing casual matches too

It should be archived on his twitch so I don't think he should have a problem if I link it, but it's 10 hours long iirc so be warned xD

http://www.twitch.tv/siologica/v/378127293?sr=a&t=2s

Brute

Standard Donor
That DOA is truly about the fun gameplay, and DOA6 does have that.
This is somewhat misleading, even under current TN. Shimbori has stated that the essence of DOA has always been to be "cool," and I believe he is technically right in that I believe the dev team's focus has always been to make something cool first and foremost. It's signature brand of gameplay comes from a certain perspective of what's "cool," hence danger zones, the emphasis on moveset variety/identity and the "low-downtime," aggressive attitude that even applies to its defensive game.

What we're experiencing now is a shift between what was considered cool by TN and what is now considered cool by TN. The edgy, punk-rock feel that was present in the earlier games has been replaced by a calmer, brighter atmosphere (that apparently someone thinks is cool, despite the bizarre juxtaposition with the allegedly emphasized injury cosmetics). This also applies to the gameplay. Shimbori thinks that simplification is cool (infamous "one-finger" quote and the like), and I don't actually disagree inherently, as limitations are often a good thing. That said, the way that he's chosen to pursue his new vision of cool is the exact opposite of what I consider cool on nearly every front, including the gameplay.

So is the gameplay fun? Probably.
Is it less fun than DOA5? Probably.

So yeah, it's kind of annoying to me that even if you isolate the gameplay from all the other gripes I may have with DOA6 thus far, it actually becomes more disappointing than ever. I'll reserve final judgment until I get my hands on the full game of course, but to presumptively say "DOA is truly about the fun gameplay, and DOA6 does have that" is to me like saying "A car is truly about getting from one place to another, and a corolla does do that," after you've been driving in a Ferrari for years.

Baji Breakdancer

It’s funny @Brute in that I think your analysis of their intentions is 100% spot-on, they have changed what they thought is cool over time. I just actually like the new direction.

DOA6 should mature and change, cuz punk rock hasn’t been cool for a long time. What used to be edgy is now mundane, and what used to be a hip secret club is now just an insular niche.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
This is somewhat misleading, even under current TN. Shimbori has stated that the essence of DOA has always been to be "cool," and I believe he is technically right in that I believe the dev team's focus has always been to make something cool first and foremost. It's signature brand of gameplay comes from a certain perspective of what's "cool," hence danger zones, the emphasis on moveset variety/identity and the "low-downtime," aggressive attitude that even applies to its defensive game.

What we're experiencing now is a shift between what was considered cool by TN and what is now considered cool by TN. The edgy, punk-rock feel that was present in the earlier games has been replaced by a calmer, brighter atmosphere (that apparently someone thinks is cool, despite the bizarre juxtaposition with the allegedly emphasized injury cosmetics). This also applies to the gameplay. Shimbori thinks that simplification is cool (infamous "one-finger" quote and the like), and I don't actually disagree inherently, as limitations are often a good thing. That said, the way that he's chosen to pursue his new vision of cool is the exact opposite of what I consider cool on nearly every front, including the gameplay.

So is the gameplay fun? Probably.
Is it less fun than DOA5? Probably.

So yeah, it's kind of annoying to me that even if you isolate the gameplay from all the other gripes I may have with DOA6 thus far, it actually becomes more disappointing than ever. I'll reserve final judgment until I get my hands on the full game of course, but to presumptively say "DOA is truly about the fun gameplay, and DOA6 does have that" is to me like saying "A car is truly about getting from one place to another, and a corolla does do that," after you've been driving in a Ferrari for years.

You sometimes remind me of Denny Crane. Did you ever watch Boston Legal.

Look I'm trying to see it from your side, but there are some things about DOA5 I am sick of. CBs being the primary, and I mained a character that has three.

This move alone creates better balance. The action doesn't stop, and the combos flow more naturally. They also don't drop constantly because it's very apparent that combos connect like they should.

DOA5 I saw the dumbest shit drop. Don't get me wrong I love it, but it's not steep because moves are harder to pull off it was steep because of several design flaws that 6 is looking to fix.

You can be mad about the fire crackers, the stages, the effects... I understand, but I don't think it's as big of a deal as your making it out to be at times.

You compel me, Brute. I fear my main concern with this is that someone as entertaining as you would drop out of DOA over something silly as an effect.

I am not happy about everything before someone throws that on me.

Tina2040_

That is what I am asking myself for a while now. Didn't they even tease us shortly after game reveal asking us on Twitter if we recognized the place with the fireflies?
On the other hand by now I would be surprised if a stage of the quality of Aerial Gardens would even be possible for current Team Ninja, at least the team that is right now working on DOA6. It frankly seems out of their league, technically and artistically. None of the DOA 6 stages come even close.

For sure it's NOT a stage, but will be in the story like the Freedom Survivor (which, I wouldn't have minded for a stage since they're reusing a lot of DOA5 stuff. MISSED opportunity.)

Onryoki

Standard Donor
After looking at videos of DOA2U, DOA3 and DOA4 stages I have to admit that the stages in 6 nearly aren’t as good looking. The only stages that really are good looking in 6 are the Chinese festival, Hidden Garden and unforgettable. I feel like the earlier stages had more passion put into them, I’d rather have the old stages back because they were all so different. Colosseum, sweat and the muscle stage are extremely boring and they shouldn’t be here. My only complaints are not having the old stages back and Momiji and Rachel not being in.

Brute

Standard Donor
You sometimes remind me of Denny Crane. Did you ever watch Boston Legal.
Not sure I understand the comparison, but yes, I have seen Boston Legal and am familiar with Denny Crane.

I fear my main concern with this is that someone as entertaining as you would drop out of DOA over something silly as an effect.
My concerns are not "an effect." Trying to relegate them as such would a perfunctory assessment.

Tina2040_

After looking at videos of DOA2U, DOA3 and DOA4 stages I have to admit that the stages in 6 nearly aren’t as good looking. The only stages that really are good looking in 6 are the Chinese festival, Hidden Garden and unforgettable. I feel like the earlier stages had more passion put into them, I’d rather have the old stages back because they were all so different. Colosseum, sweat and the muscle stage are extremely boring and they shouldn’t be here. My only complaints are not having the old stages back and Momiji and Rachel not being in.

I'd like it if they would update Unforgettable once every while in a new update/DLC, so we get a rotation of older stage sets. That would be REALLY interesting.

HHH816

i got the feeling that they were erasing any itagaki works very slowly, it's unnoticeable.

this is typical japanese company practice just like konami. so forget older stages..it's not coming

You've got to be kidding me? Why does everyone constantly cry about the Itagaki era of stages and graphics? Who cares, I knew has soon has Itagaki left that the creativity would go with him, that's just reality. And that was the problem with the Itagaki era, his games were all pretty but played like absolute garbage, except DOA 3.1. Just look at DOA 4 this is by far the worst DOA in the series, but people were so blinded by the graphics and stages they did not realize the gameplay was absolute garbage. And notice how when people bring up the past DOA games they always have to bring up how good the graphics and stages are, but never the gameplay? hmm..i wonder why? If you guys care so about graphics and stages so much then go play the previous games and don't get this one. GAMEPLAY>>>>>>GRAPHICS.

Baji Breakdancer

Yeah, Shimbori cares about the actual fighting in fighting games in a way that Itagaki never did, and it shows. DOA4 was a mess, DOA5 was a substantial improvement under Shimbori’s direction, and DOA6 looks to be a more fully realized version of his own creative vision.

DOA3.1 is still, mechanically, my favorite of the series, but it looks like 6 has brought back the things I loved about that game combined with the great stuff introduced in 5.

Nostalgia for Itagaki is mostly about the visual style and polish, and people don’t really mention that for most of his tenure, DOA played like a clumsy Virtua Fighter with prettier characters.

Xhominid The Demon Within

You've got to be kidding me? Why does everyone constantly cry about the Itagaki era of stages and graphics? Who cares, I knew has soon has Itagaki left that the creativity would go with him, that's just reality. And that was the problem with the Itagaki era, his games were all pretty but played like absolute garbage, except DOA 3.1. Just look at DOA 4 this is by far the worst DOA in the series, but people were so blinded by the graphics and stages they did not realize the gameplay was absolute garbage. And notice how when people bring up the past DOA games they always have to bring up how good the graphics and stages are, but never the gameplay? hmm..i wonder why? If you guys care so about graphics and stages so much then go play the previous games and don't get this one. GAMEPLAY>>>>>>GRAPHICS.

Calm down bro. I mean I agree with you and I'm sure Tyraen and the others don't acknowledge that either.

They want both and it's not impossible for Team Ninja to actually do both considering that they did do Ni-Oh.
But of course, we can't also not pretend that past DOA3, the rest of the games wasn't exactly the paragon of good gameplay and balance.

Raansu

Yeah, Shimbori cares about the actual fighting in fighting games in a way that Itagaki never did, and it shows. DOA4 was a mess, DOA5 was a substantial improvement under Shimbori’s direction, and DOA6 looks to be a more fully realized version of his own creative vision.

DOA3.1 is still, mechanically, my favorite of the series, but it looks like 6 has brought back the things I loved about that game combined with the great stuff introduced in 5.

Nostalgia for Itagaki is mostly about the visual style and polish, and people don’t really mention that for most of his tenure, DOA played like a clumsy Virtua Fighter with prettier characters.

Mmmmm the stun system and ground bounces were Shimbori's idea in doa4 lol.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD