Team NINJA Social Media Updates for DOA6

Onryoki

Standard Donor
Regardless of how you or Brute feel about the voices, it's still not hard to figure out why people would use them. To each their own. Maybe they just want to clearly understand the taunts and such. Maybe they don't think the English voices are that bad. Etc.
I think everybody knows to each their own. Doesn’t mean I can’t understand how people’s ears don’t bleed when playing with English voices.

It’s also childish to make a video where you cry and beg for friendship. But that’s none of my business.
giphy.gif

werewolfgold

You misunderstood, the DOA5 poses in the game STILL have the old VA recordings not the new ones.
Yeah, I got it now. I should've taken the time to boot up the game and check. TN keeps taking those Ls for some reason.

I think everybody knows to each their own. Doesn’t mean I can’t understand how people’s ears don’t bleed when playing with English voices.
Have you heard Honoka and Marie in Japanese? You're not going to escape awkward or grating voice acting either way.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
Yeah, I got it now. I should've taken the time to boot up the game and check. TN keeps taking those Ls for some reason.

Have you heard Honoka and Marie in Japanese? You're not going to escape awkward or grating voice acting either way.
Their English voices are worse than that. Have you heard leifang’s English voice when she gets hit against a wall?

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Sumippe is one of the most talented voice actresses in the Japanese media atm, I don’t get how someone can find NiCO’s JPN voice “cringe” lol
Her voice isn't but her screams(and most of the other Japanese female VA's screams of pain) are kinda grating at times. I love Kasumi's Japanese speaking voice but her screams of pains at times kinda makes me uncomfortable but that's expected since the Japanese girls speak with a higher pitch and most of the younger ones do have shrill squeaky screams which is supposed to make them seem cuter I guess xD. But both Japanese and English have their share of VAs who have cringey type voices/screams talented or not like irl people voices

Brute

Standard Donor
I'm mystified by your mystification. It's not that hard to figure out.
Maybe if you're a newcomer. But if you've been playing these games for multiple decades, there's a long history for most of them using a single voice actor, and that just kinda becomes part of the character. Even if the voice acting is bad (like Snake from MG), it's still weird to have them changed.

So I guess some people are like "Man, I can't stand Yumi Toma's Leifang! Gotta switch it to English voice for the sweet release of hearing 'yaaaaaaaaaa' girl." And yeah, that mystifies me.

Don't lie about that. Marie, Honoka and NiCO's Japanese voices are the epitome of cringe.
Is the implication here that the English versions are less so?

Xhominid The Demon Within

Is the implication here that the English versions are less so?

I would say so since English Marie doesn't want me to stab my ears with long needles and the same with Honoka with their screams.

Sumippe is one of the most talented voice actresses in Japanese media atm, I don’t get how someone can find NiCO’s JPN voice “cringe” lol

Because she rarely fits the character's personality and doesn't seem to do stoic right.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
I would say so since English Marie doesn't want me to stab my ears with long needles and the same with Honoka with their screams.

Because she rarely fits the character's personality and doesn't seem to do stoic right.
But the 30 year old saleswoman voice does fit her personality? Lol, alright.

Anyway is this even about the social media updates anymore? I feel like it turned into a VA discussion at this point, lol.

Kuga

I personaly cant stand english VA. I played DoA2 for dreamcast for quite some time and i got so used to japanese VA (i dont remember, but i think dreamcast version had only jap VA) that when i heard english ones in later games i found them strange and disappointing. Sudenly characters didnt feel like themselves. They were someone else.

So again i switched to jap. I cant play this game with eng. Its been 20 years. And im not the jap-language-sugoi-anime-subarashi kind of a guy. Its just that jap in DoA feels natural to me.

So, i got used to lolis jap VA. They sound like they sound because they were made this way.

The exactly same goes for Soul Calibur.

Last edited:

werewolfgold

Maybe if you're a newcomer. But if you've been playing these games for multiple decades, there's a long history for most of them using a single voice actor, and that just kinda becomes part of the character. Even if the voice acting is bad (like Snake from MG), it's still weird to have them changed.

So I guess some people are like "Man, I can't stand Yumi Toma's Leifang! Gotta switch it to English voice for the sweet release of hearing 'yaaaaaaaaaa' girl." And yeah, that mystifies me.
The "yaaaaaaaaa" is just funny to me at this point. lol

But, hearing Japanese Tina say "YAYYYYYY, SHOOOOWTIIIIIIIME" was...an experience. Like I said, either way, something's gonna not sound right. Most of it is okay in either language. And some people just want the luxury of a language they understand.

Brute

Standard Donor
The "yaaaaaaaaa" is just funny to me at this point. lol

But, hearing Japanese Tina say "YAYYYYYY, SHOOOOWTIIIIIIIME" was...an experience. Like I said, either way, something's gonna not sound right. Most of it is okay in either language. And some people just want the luxury of a language they understand.
More like the curse of a language they understand.

candynarwhal

But, hearing Japanese Tina say "YAYYYYYY, SHOOOOWTIIIIIIIME" was...an experience.

I think it's so charming, though - Tina's horrific affinity for Engrish is part of her appeal, and I think the all-American archetype is better executed that way than by giving her a southern accent, anyway. As much as I like Kate Higgins for the role.

Of course, you can't really exoticize a Western character to a Western audience, certainly not if they're voiced in English...

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD