The Art Style and Graphics Discussion

Tyaren

Standard Donor

Sony has been killing it this generation. One gorgeous looking exclusive after the other. Next gen will be mindblowing. And I am saying that as someone whose first Sony console ever was the PS4.

My favourite thing is people say stuff like "give me 60fps and bad graphics anyday over amazing graphics and bad framerate!" but when something like Halo comes out looking like it does even if it's hitting native 4K 60 the same people are like "ew! look at this ugly game lul PS2 graphics" lmao.

Good thing I'm always saying: Give me stable 30fps and all graphical bells and whistles and I am good. 30fps is perfectly fine for most types of games. Only fighters, racers and a few other genres really need that 60fps.

Tyaren

Standard Donor

Alex of the DF team focuses basically on just raw tech, that's why he also is their guy reviewing all the PC games. He focuses way too much on just non-ray-traced and ray-traced lighting here. That's imo not the main reason Halo Infinite looks so underwhelming. RDR2, Horizon Zero Dawn, Deathstranding, Ghost of Tsushima etc. also don't use any ray-tracing in a dynamically lit open world environment and they don't look as underwhleming as Halo Infinite on a next gen console (or rather a PC emulating Xbox Series X specs).
The main problem of HI is boring, bland and uncohesive art and design. Those character and enemy models as well as the environment are just not well designed. In regards to the environment they basically took a random mountaineous region, slapped metal pillars everywhere and called it a day for an alien planet. They didn't even bother to do anything with the sky as Bungie (former Halo developers) were always known for. Older Halos had amazing looking sky boxes. Why even do the nostalgia catering panning shot of the sky and the sun glimpsing through the trees when it looks this underwhelming?

109748628_292073115221063_8585737023375935245_n.png

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I would take the art design of H:I over Death Stranding any day.

You could call Death Stranding visually bland and boring, I guess, but at least not uncohesive. These hairless apes in lego armor somewhere in rural Montana, just with metal pillars sticking out of the ground, just look uncohesive and jarring. That they released this awful shot as a promo bullshot shows how oblivious they are:

Q0Pw81F.png

Speaking of uncohesive, very cohesive and striking is the anime style in which Mihoyo presents us the world of Genshin Impact. Let's just focus on the beautiful water and waterfalls in these shots:

50138762503_27e0cf10f5_o.png

50139286343_336ddb1d5c_o.png

50138714153_fac03d3594_o.png

50152342047_88d968514b_o.png

50152334442_51c7a33d66_o.png

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Here’s a video with better quality @Tyaren

To be completely honest, I am not a big fan. It looks pretty generic and the character model of the MC is also pretty low polygon and stiffly animated on top of being the generic East Asian doll-like beauty as Koreans and Chinese like to put them in almost every game now. Is this Chinese by chance? They, or rather he (it's still made by one guy, right?) is throwing a lot of effects at the screen though. Next gen will be impressive in that regard.
I personally don't like the game's look, but it sure is damn impressive for one person to create all of this. O: Like how is that even possible?

Last edited:

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
To be completely honest, I am not a big fan. It looks pretty generic and the character model of the MC is also pretty low polygon and stiffly animated on top of being the generic East Asian doll-like beauty as Koreans and Chinese like to put them in almost every game now. Is this Chinese by chance? They, or rather he (it's still made by one guy, right?) is throwing a lot of effects at the screen though. Next gen will be impressive in that regard.
I personally don't like the game's look, but it sure is damn impressive for one person to create all of this. O: Like how is that even possible?

I thought I was the only one feeling that same scenario. When it comes to the video entirely, I was actually surprised this was all done by a single person. Feels like the individual should just get hired instead lol.

Some of the gameplay stuff I do sorta like, but that's about it. Protagonist looked rather typical/obvious so thought I was the only one who saw that lol.

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
Yes, it's still made by one person. He is indeed Chinese.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
He should get hired. But then again, I can understand wanting to make your own games and do your own business so yeah.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
So, I didn't hear good things about the long awaited Horizon port on PC. Is much of it the usual interent hyperbole, or is it really a trainwreck and in many ways inferior to the experience on PS4?
@DestructionBomb

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
So, I didn't hear good things about the long awaited Horizon port on PC. Is much of it the usual interent hyperbole, or is it really a trainwreck and in many ways inferior to the experience on PS4?
@DestructionBomb

Wait did it finally release on the PC? oh mannn nooooo, is it a trainwreck? I haven't kept up any news about it until it was first mentioned on Steam and haven't bought it yet since I wasn't sure when it was going to release.

Was it optimization? I'm still planning on getting it but really hoping it turns out good somehow. If that's true, that's a bit worrisome.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD