The King of Fighters Series

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
If graphics are really that big of a deal, just play Order 1886 or TLOU2.
I think the game looks fine tbh, it looks super clean and I can onlt imagine the content and quality when it's released, I remember when T7 and DOA6 and SC6 looked rougher at release but they smoothed things over since launch. Tbh I think they may have postponed it because they probably wanted to hold off on announcing it yet, and I'm not shocked if Mai for example looks somewhat rougher compared to DOA since DOA will always make a character look better than their native game xD

Radiance

KOFXIII was still the best looking imo. The sprites were beautiful and the game was well polished and fun with plenty of replay value. The online unfortunately was atrocious. Still my favorite across. I don't really play competitively anymore, but with Ash Crimson returning I'm definitely buying day one. Hopefully Angel makes her return as well. I had so much fun with her and Kukri in KOFXIV. The graphics look improved from Samsho. I don't like the style, but I can get use to it.

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
XIII was excellent to look at. There are a lot of mechanical elements I disagree with in that particular game and it became a bit more obvious by the time EVO2014 rolled around. Nevertheless, XIII was still a great game.

On the topic of XV, I am wondering if there is going to be a "groove" system like how there was in KOF98 (shifting between Advanced and Extra. Extra was made a lot more useful in the case of KOF98UM and its iterations, however).

human013

If graphics are really that big of a deal, just play Order 1886 or TLOU2.
No one compares fighting games to games of other genres like that. People compare fighting games to other fighting games. And KOF is a fighting game so of course graphics are a big deal. KOF also isn't some new indie game and SNK is not a greenhorn so there is no reason for the game to look this bad. Just look at the elbows. That is not even a graphics issue, and they chose to use that to promote the game.
The-King-of-Fighters-XV_2021_01-07-21_005.jpg

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
@human013
@Radiance

As I said. Invest your time on some other game if the graphics bother you *that* much.
It might not look good to either of you by your standards but the majority are saying that this is fine for what is shown so far.

Play some other game.

Radiance

@human013
@Radiance

As I said. Invest your time on some other game if the graphics bother you *that* much.
It might not look good to either of you by your standards but the majority are saying that this is fine for what is shown so far.

Play some other game.

I think we're allowed to enjoy something and still be critical. I won't say I hated the graphics in XIV, I wasn't the biggest fan, but I still thoroughly enjoyed playing the game and had tons of fun; chill. I thought the other screen shots looked great, but yes I'm still going to laugh at Mai's macaroni elbows and botched breast surgery.

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
Kyo admittedly looks a bit jagged in a few of his own scenes, among other things, including even Mai's sharp objects for elbows.
This game is also apparently going to be out later this year.

Sense SNK is modifying the graphics from their previous two bigger fighting game titles, it looks better for what it has to offer.

I'm just hoping that there might be a groove system similar to how 98 works, with each of them having specific uses. Although, again. Extra was made a bit more useful by the time 98UM was made available.

Derock

XIII was excellent to look at. There are a lot of mechanical elements I disagree with in that particular game and it became a bit more obvious by the time EVO2014 rolled around. Nevertheless, XIII was still a great game.

On the topic of XV, I am wondering if there is going to be a "groove" system like how there was in KOF98 (shifting between Advanced and Extra. Extra was made a lot more useful in the case of KOF98UM and its iterations, however).
KOFXIII was still the best looking imo. The sprites were beautiful and the game was well polished and fun with plenty of replay value. The online unfortunately was atrocious. Still my favorite across. I don't really play competitively anymore, but with Ash Crimson returning I'm definitely buying day one. Hopefully Angel makes her return as well. I had so much fun with her and Kukri in KOFXIV. The graphics look improved from Samsho. I don't like the style, but I can get use to it.

I love XIII, it was one of the best KOFs besides 98 and 2002. Granted, I liked the mechanics, although the combos were a bit difficult to pull off. While the sprites were beautiful, they were a bit, ...eh. Ladies like Mai, Yuri and King were skinny-Minnies (not to mention Mai's boobs were so huge to the point that she had a new stance that she was hunch backing), but then Ralf and Clark were on bodybuilding steroids to the max! Other than that, it was a great game and I wished the netcode was fixed or relaunched in current consoles for replayability.

Radiance

Yeah, some of the sprites in XIII were definitely weird and cartoonish - Yuri and Ash looked like bobble head figurines (but they were cute). While the game was almost perfect, the netcode is what killed any chance of the game having a online community. I wish they had invested resources into restoring their netcode. No one wanted to play online and rightfully so. I would find matches here and there with stable connections, but it was a drought.

The combo system was cool, but not beginner friendly. I personally liked the combo system and doing the trials even though they were so dreadful; til this day there are some I never finished lol. XIV was much more lax on the combo's, but XIII had that flashiness. Overall, I'm happy they slightly tuned it down so more people could enjoy it. I'm curious what route they'll take in XV.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Speaking of netcode, CodeMystics (the ones that did the rollback netcode for '02 UM and a few other games out there) are trying to get in touch with SNK for KOFXIII if they can add rollback, though unfortunately SNK made no comments from it I hear. Probably because of the focus for KOFXV.

As for KOFXV, I thought it looked alright. Throughout history, it was a sort of lesson learned from KOF that they invested too much budget on graphical portions that ended up wounding some of the games, and they barely had any sorts of storage of budget for KOF14. I feel like there has to be a balance to it somewhere. Maximum Impact had tough development times involving around it. KOF graphical output in this day and age is honestly to the point that it became sort of it's charm which is alright imo. It would be cool if they did go back to the anime-type versions of it (KOFXIII and even cel-shades), but I thought the graphical early show bits of KOFXV looked pretty alright to me.

Last edited:

GreatDarkHero

This is frame advantage
Premium Donor
Reevaluation:

1). Put a little more emphasis on heavy-hitting normals and spacing.
Max Mode is still likely to remain as a thing, still taking influence from 02UM BC combos.
Yet, to offset this, there should be a system where players can switch from "Advanced" to "Extra" and so on like they could on KOF98/KOF98UM.
(In KOF98UM the "Extra" mode was more useful in that game, due to an oversight in the original game).

In this case, we the players can utilize mechanics from previous games, if they want to opt out of the current one that is in play.

2). No "auto-combos"
Because, they were practically useless. Most KOF players (like myself) actually *FORGOT* they were even in KOFXIV! There were some galaxy-brains that were foolishly trying to implement the mechanic. Most people actually saw them as scrub-bait.
Plus there was were specific flaws behind the mechanic anyway.
The player executes the the auto-combo from up close with a close A (Light Punch). Three hits and then a designated special move. If the player possesses meter, the character automatically uses a DM. The player cannot even change or alter the special moves they use at the end of the third hit for any sort of variance. And, every following hit is worse on block and not delayable.

3). Retain the *Just Defend* mechanic from Garou, that was reintroduced in KOFXIV (in a variation. Because, it was directly *called* Just Defend in context of XIV). Have the user not take any chip damage when using it and reward the player with a bit more meter.

4). Keep the characters airborne on backdashes on Frame 1. This is good for also avoiding command grabs and also forcing yourself into a reset state if you do get hit to create an escape option, especially if you are in the corner.

5). Have the characters utilize more assets from their previous move sets while also a create a few newer ones in the process.
For example:
Mai Shiranui had an actual DP+K once back in the days of 98, but the technique disappears just as quickly.
Kyo had a "parry" in a manner of speaking which showed up inconsistently throughout the franchise, which is his 214 + P.
Geese Howard had some elaborate move throughout many of his appearances. In KOFXIV, the strangest thing is that he was missing his Deadly Rave, which would have made him top tier, if it were found. And, they've simplified his Raging Storm input into a generic 2141236+AC.
Which bring me to another thing to hope for:

6). Move Inputs
If a character like Geese Howard or the like has a more difficult input, SNK can retain the 2141236 + AC Raging Storm. But, if the player opts out to perform the actual pretzel notation for his Raging Storm (1632143 + AC), there will be more perks or a better reward for players who achieve this.

Otherwise, just use the default pretzel notation and don't oversimplify everything. Geese was never *really* designed as a truly beginner-friendly character. The same can be said for quite a few other characters.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
That's from Hiroaki, long-time SNK artist since 98. Also currently did the story artwork and character designs for Soul Calibur VI.

That's new to me and impressive actually that the SNK artist also did Soul Calibur story artwork and designs ahaha.

Need more main game artists like this freelancing and doing other company games out there.

Ninoasker

People calling XV ugly lol, I have to laugh.
It looks colorful and beautiful, maybe not as beautiful as Arcsys games but beautiful nonetheless. Y'all just want anime fighters to all look the fucking same.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD