The official Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown thread

Hold_Junkie93

Is there a reason why support for VF ended after FS? My guess would be sales (but obviously VF5FS would have high sales considering it was just a port and wasn't well known). As far as I'm concerned the series is dead which is a shame because it paved the way for other 3D fighters similar to Street Fighter paving the way for 2D fighters. If Sega poured more resources into it like they did with Sonic and Yakuza it would have done well. Ironically, Sega killed off a lot of their good ip's; Jet Set Radio, VF, Shenmue, and Shinobi (which had a good ost but Ninja Gaiden probably put that game in the grave lol).
There was an update/balance patch done to the arcade version in 2018 but not the console ports. @NightAntilli They can start by pushing the camera back a tiddly bit and turning the contrast down. Sega isn't that stupid. With the popularity of the Yakuza series really taking fold. They put VF on there for more reasons than to be relevant with their modern settings. Thing about Sega I keep telling people is that they like to make hardware. I think they refuse to put Vf on a public engine like Unreal. Though they've used elements of havok in VF. Idk we have to see what they'll say if people keep buggy them. Just like we did for FS.

Last edited:

Radiance

There was an update/balance patch done to the arcade version in 2018 but not the console ports. @NightAntilli They can start by pushing the camera back a tiddly bit and turning the contrast down. Sega isn't that stupid. With the popularity of the Yakuza series really taking fold. They put VF on there for more reasons than to be relevant with their modern settings. Thing about Sega I keep telling people is that they like to make hardware. I think they refuse to put Vf on a public engine like Unreal. Though they've used elements of havok in VF. Idk we have to see what they'll say if people keep buggy them. Just like we did for FS.

I'll be as old as gen fu or worse (as old as Wang Jinrei) before VF6 drops.

Hold_Junkie93

I'll be as old as gen fu or worse (as old as Wang Jinrei) before VF6 drops.
Ooh, Final Fantasy XXX...oh wait, not what I expected. Damn it's PS10 exclusive. My friend is going to be shitting through his catheter when he finds out he can't get it for Xbox X16 Oh, shit, VF6? Oh, it's fan made... I'm stressed, *Claps* Yo servbot 09C, bring me my blunt!

Derock

Is there a reason why support for VF ended after FS? My guess would be sales (but obviously VF5FS would have high sales considering it was just a port and wasn't well known). As far as I'm concerned the series is dead which is a shame because it paved the way for other 3D fighters similar to Street Fighter paving the way for 2D fighters. If Sega poured more resources into it like they did with Sonic and Yakuza it would have done well. Ironically, Sega killed off a lot of their good ip's; Jet Set Radio, VF, Shenmue, and Shinobi (which had a good ost but Ninja Gaiden probably put that game in the grave lol).

It maybe sales that could be the reason but it also could be how 5 was drastically changed with the updates of R and Final Showdown, in contrast to 4. I heard some rumors that many VF fans doesn't even like 5 and updates, especially in Japan. It wasn't getting that much attention like when 4 came out and that blew everyone's minds.

Keep in mind though, Yu Suzuki wasn't around during 5 and updates' development and was a consultant to Sega and the AM2 Team.

On regards on Sega on their major IPs: while they do pour in more resources with Yakuza, on Sonic, however, as iF!!! They wasted time on my favorite franchise with hit or misses, especially Sonic Team as a whole doesn't know what to do with the series. Shockingly, it took a 3rd party development who created Mania to become a smash hit, but on the lore of Sonic, its messes everyone's heads with which "universe" should they focus on, ever since Generations, classic or modern. Its like if Activision/Universal at the time trying to pick on which Crash or Spyro design fans wanted to see, and you know how bad those games were back then when those "new" designs were released before their reboot.

5H1N081

The scene seems to be quite lively in Japan. The 6th floor in one of Akihabara's SEGA arcades hosts more machines for VF5 than for any other fighting game. When I went there on vacation two weeks ago there were no empty seats for VF and there was quite a lot of hype going on. Unfortunately rarely anyone played DOA6. DOA6 doesn't even have exclusive machines but shares slots with BlazBlue, Puyo Puyo Tetris and some other titles.

XxNoriakixX

I need my Akira and Kage fix, VF needs to come back but without these stupid modern trends of shoving 2D crap and guests into it...

dg1995

Imo bringing some guest characters from Tekken is a good tactic to bring some young blood to Virtua Fighter.(VF really needs it since it's one of the least popular 3D fighting games.)

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
99436569_2984594361622063_2497792549440192512_o.jpg

Hold_Junkie93

My eye is on June 3rd for what Sega has in store. VF related or not, it's going to be good, I hope. My boy Cruz bought the Lindbergh for like 900 off a guy in Italy. We got to play VF5R on it. Pretty cool as it has multithrow escape but it's lazy as in you can hold G and your Tech whilst buffering each direction.

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
Well since the thread is resurrected, I've been hosting Virtua Fighter Takeover every Sunday on my stream. There will be a moment where I do regular sessions and times where I host tournaments.

Speaking of tournaments, me and Hubbs would do a bi-weekly based on different consoles. He does bi-weeklies for PS3 players, I do mines for 360 players.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
Probably best to wait for further news. Sega has a knack for that type of moment I believe.

They did bamboozle people before. But then again, they put quite the effort on that small Akira clip in the end. In a way, at least VF is mentioned vs not mentioned at all which people believed it was going to be dormant for eternity.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD