The official Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown thread

Ninoasker

Oh the irony... VF characters were added into DOA5 when VF was dying, but now it's VF who's back in action and with it, it could mean a potential DOA guest... now that DOA is the one dying lol. How the tables have turned in almost a decade.

human013

Anyone here play VF?
  • How is the sidestepping in the game? It looks effective and good but is it? I don't think I've ever seen as much side movement in any DOA5LR matches. Why was it good in VF but not DOA5?
  • How is the normal movement? Is it like DOA or is it more like Tekken where it feels a bit clunkier?
  • Throws are broken by inputting the same command the opponent used? To break 4T I need to input 4T? Why can't DOA use this too?
  • How lenient/ active are the parries or "holds" in the game?
  • Only some moves force you to "stagger escape"?
  • How does the ground game work?
I am really liking what I am seeing so far.

Hold_Junkie93

Anyone here play VF?
  • How is the sidestepping in the game? It looks effective and good but is it? I don't think I've ever seen as much side movement in any DOA5LR matches. Why was it good in VF but not DOA5?
  • How is the normal movement? Is it like DOA or is it more like Tekken where it feels a bit clunkier?
  • Throws are broken by inputting the same command the opponent used? To break 4T I need to input 4T? Why can't DOA use this too?
  • How lenient/ active are the parries or "holds" in the game?
  • Only some moves force you to "stagger escape"?
  • How does the ground game work?
I am really liking what I am seeing so far.
Ok, so, sidestepping is more of a defensive action that is only activated upon your opponent throwing out a linear move. You just press 8/2. When you evade certain moves, there's a change in the frame data's behavior. Something that might be safe on block like Akira's SPOD starter (P+K+G) will then be launch punishable on evade. If your opponent evades a jab and tries to be cute, you can elbow back. Basically linear strings only retrack if you push a button upon evading. One time I sidestepped and watched my opponent ring himself out. (Refer to the third vid, forget the time)

Movement is fixed to the ground in a way to encourage engagement. Not like Tekken where it's clunky since, you can reverse crouch dash, jump away etc
Stagger or crumples are activated by an opponent backdashing and you use 3K, if they want to whiff punish your 6P. (Common occurrence at round start) At wall there's a limited time to escape but usually jab is fastest and depends on opponent speed to avoid launchers. 12-15 frames are your best bet is why Akira double (13F) is useful because it combos here after wallsplat.

Sidewall crumples do not have stick escapes and will grant you launchers. This usually happens for hitting half circle attacks or track moves but it is physicallly dependent to you stance, not if the move just tracks in general.

Parries are like Tekken and Aoi's Tenchi counters everything except lows, jumping attacks and double handed moves. Some have stance parries like Lei-Fei crane and Kage P+K+G which is cancellable on say, 6P, 4 command
Taka, and Wolf have armor moves which grants free throw attempt for Wolf and a strike KND for Taka.

Throws are Forward, Neutral, Back and you can lazy throw escape by simultaneous block and throw input, as long as the last input of that throw was forward or back, you tech that. Side throws are always teched by teching on the opponents side, (You can do tricks to wait for someone to slightly adjust back on axis, making it appear as a side throw tech still, but you now do a throw with opposite command.)
Some also have ground throws of course and everyone except Jeff has 3 ways you have to tech ground throw too. Goh does judo and has a throw sabaki 6P+K+G to then force you to guess his judo tech. This you only press G in opposite of where he might throw you be it Back for forward, neutral is neutral, forward is back, down is up, up is down. There's catch throws you can't tech that you have to duck or strike like Wolf 46P+G or Goh's using throw sabaki (Whiff) P+G

There's something called Evade crouch dash that allows an option select on wake up to duck throws and block meaty attempts. (Dededicated track move or tech trap beats this) As well as fuzzy at -4 (-6 for Akira to allow double palm buffer) that allows block of mids and duck if throws.

Ground game is like Blazblue where if you don't tech, there's OTG combos or strikes for extra damage.this forces quick techs, which then you can use you character's unique tech trap move ie:Akira 46 P+K. Unblockable.

Been playing with the NYCVF guys since late 2013 iirc. Offline. Place in multiple top 8s in my ventures there and money match wins. Hope this covers it and my authenticity of being a VF player, helps you accept my help. Good luck

Last edited:

Hold_Junkie93

Anything else to ask, I'm always here as, I'm one of the few players who plays VF to that level on here with my experience of fighting people of different caliber. I have videos of me fighting on my media here. Of me getting my experience in.

(Not the whole set but you should hear what was said about me mostly in these clips.) I'm Mold BTW If I can get good in less a year to at least hold my own and even show the vets something new. Also, just got good really fast to them it seems. Even if you don't constantly play, you learn from watching alot then applying stuff. Hope that I can set an example that if you keep playing, practicing, have a good time and take your licks, who knows, you might end up doing something amazing w/o noticing.

Last edited:

human013

Having movement that is not clunky like Tekken is already a major plus in my book.
  • How many attacks a string can you side step then? If the string was PPP and I input 8 and touch nothing afterwards, will all the attacks miss me?
  • Are there open and closed stances?
  • Are there combo inconsistencies? Is the VF team competent enough to not have things like this? https://gfycat.com/cheeryinnocentcommongonolek
  • Can you go more into detail on the reversals or the Return Attacks as they call it on the VF site? How strict are they in timing? Active and recovery? DOA's holds left a bad taste and this is the thing I care about the most. I hate holds. Although, judging by the gameplay, it doesn't look like it can be spammed like in DOA but I still want your explanation/ thoughts.
"A Sabaki is a regular attack or motion with attack-deflection properties. The main difference between Sabaki and Reversal/Inashi is that the Sabaki will always animate regardless of the opponent's action, whereas a Reversal or Inashi will only activate when it connects successfully against an opponent's attack." That quote from the VF site already gives me hope.

"If your opponent uses a string you know well or abuses the same attack or setup, it becomes a useful "Stop That!" Some lead to quick knockdowns or guaranteed advantage for further, sometimes large, damage." People said that to me for DOA too but the holds in DOA are just too excessive and unlikable.

Radiance

The are open a closed stances in VF and last I remember combo's were dependent on which stance you're in. There are also combo's that work regardless of open and closed stance though. Other than that combo's seem consistent. I've never had a issue where I dropped a combo due to glitches, etc..

Like tekken I do think the counters in VF have less active frames making the timing more strict than they are in DoA. Only thing I love about VF are the sabaki's. I wish more characters in DoA had them tbh.

Personally if it's just a port of VF5FS updated with new graphics ported to next gen xbox I'll be happy. But if it's a remake I'm hoping my characters return. Was just learning El Blaze before the game went dead online, but was a Lion main. My hope is that VF gets all the things it was missing out on; an actual story mode, a gallery. Something that gives it replay value to attract more casuals. The customization mode was godlike in FS, hopefully they build off that. I trust AM2 to do what they do best in terms of handling the game competitively.

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
The are open a closed stances in VF and last I remember combo's were dependent on which stance you're in. There are also combo's that work regardless of open and closed stance though. Other than that combo's seem consistent. I've never had a issue where I dropped a combo due to glitches, etc..

Like tekken I do think the counters in VF have less active frames making the timing more strict than they are in DoA. Only thing I love about VF are the sabaki's. I wish more characters in DoA had them tbh.

Personally if it's just a port of VF5FS updated with new graphics ported to next gen xbox I'll be happy. But if it's a remake I'm hoping my characters return. Was just learning El Blaze before the game went dead online, but was a Lion main
Or PC.

Hold_Junkie93

They only real time that open and closed stances I have seen come into play most commonly is Jacky's 9K ender at wall bound for the ender. This has to be done open stance iirc He can, whilst the juggle is happening as they're sliding to the ground, 8P+K+G then use the 9K. There's a special thing for the weight classes too. Like there's feather, light, middleweight, light heavy and heavy but depending on their limbs, can get hit with partiucalr moves be it air, or stagger and some are light heavyweight like Akira but someone like Jean is the same class but floats different. I have a lightweight combo that works on Jean, a light heavyweight. Akira also has a unique combo from 64P+G he can do only on himself lol

Sarah and Vanessa are lightweight with long legs, so, there's certain combos that work on those two.
Not all chars have these options for specific char combos like Wolf or Jeff. Both deal great damage regardless. Throw game is more important with them.

human013

Personally if it's just a port of VF5FS updated with new graphics ported to next gen xbox I'll be happy. But if it's a remake I'm hoping my characters return. Was just learning El Blaze before the game went dead online, but was a Lion main. My hope is that VF gets all the things it was missing out on; an actual story mode, a gallery. Something that gives it replay value to attract more casuals. The customization mode was godlike in FS, hopefully they build off that. I trust AM2 to do what they do best in terms of handling the game competitively.
I want a completely new game. If it is just going to be a port then I will lose all my interest. I need it to be a brand new game. And, the cast is pretty small so they should add everyone in.

So, after more discussions about VF the only thing I really don't like is the stagger escape. I will never like mashing in fighting games no matter what depth it supposedly adds. Will I learn and use it? Yes. Will I like it? No. As for the characters, do they look interesting? No, They need some major redesign. But, I am interested in everything else.

What is the significance in specifying right high punch and left high punch when they both require the same input and produce the same result? There's the right and left mid punch as well as other similar prompts.

Hold_Junkie93

It's just saying that THIS move for Akira is simply, another move visually. All chracter moves have the martial arts name equivalent, like say, Brad does Muay Thai, is Italian but his move names are in Thai. Also, you're not mashing anything you shouldn't be for the stagger escape, as you can press G and wiggle which will get you to block automatically. Besides, these are less rare in most cases vs VF4 and Vanilla 5 where they activated upon simply getting hit by elbow if you crouch. Most of them are slow AF. Stay more concerned for Lau, Akira, Jean guardbreaks which are high to stay fair. It gives opportunity to hit or mix. Why not?

Also, you want a redesign for the characters, You could play VF4 where the models looked different or just customize but regardless of what VF you play, it preps you the best out of any fighting game imo since you always learn fundamentals first and they have worked the same since '93. I can play any VF due to this. The game is rooted in its ruleset, and it's that simple to begin focusing on every other aspect of the game, such as your character's gameplan and the MU you're fighting against. You mostly just need to encounter something once and boom, you understand it or if you want a further explanation it is simply a point in the right direction from there. For Shun, you usually combo in particular ways or go for certain throws to lower his drink count, so, you do that for that MU. Which beyond weights is something more particular. Know when Goh might throw sabaki to catch throw and avoid getting CH by his 6K for like mad dmg. He is basically a better Akira.

Last edited:

human013

That makes sense. And I just don't like mashing regardless of the reason. The characters just look really boring, like Jeffrey and Brad just to point some out.

Hold_Junkie93

That makes sense. And I just don't like mashing regardless of the reason. The characters just look really boring, like Jeffrey and Brad just to point some out.
Jeff? Maybe. Brad? He actually has the most personality and swag. If you mean gameplay, Brad is very fucking good and has good string play, he's like a better Mila and probs the most DoA like. He has inashi for mid kicks that is good against well...wake up kicks. Goh has a sabaki 46K that does the same plus other moves. Both get good follow ups. Ironically Goh and Brad were actually designed by namco as a thanks for AM2 helping with the rank system for Tekken 4 arcade and other things

going to leave this here.... Most of the weapons you see are those that are taught to be wielded in their discipline/art.

Last edited:

human013

Jeff? Maybe. Brad? He actually has the most personality and swag. If you mean gameplay, Brad is very fucking good and has good string play, he's like a better Mila and probs the most DoA like. He has inashi for mid kicks that is good against well...wake up kicks. Goh has a sabaki 46K that does the same plus other moves. Both get good follow ups. Ironically Goh and Brad were actually designed by namco as a thanks for AM2 helping with the rank system for Tekken 4 arcade and other things

going to leave this here....
I was referring to their appearance. Gameplay wise, I can't say because I never played the game before.

human013

I didn't even think about that. VF has been gone for a long time so how would they even hold tournaments if this was not a teaser for a new game. How well did VF and its updates sell?

VirtuaKazama

Standard Donor
News Team
Last I checked, VF5 Vanilla was #7 in the UK Sales Chart. For Final Showdown, the console versions met its sales expectations in Japan. (Don't ask for the numbers because it's pretty vague.)

R was never released for Consoles since it was arcade only.

Derock

Guys, if anyone missed the series, you can get the Yakuza series that has the VF5 Final Showdown (without customization) and VF2. Get the following games:

Yakuza 2 Kiwami - for VF2
Yakuza 6: The Song of Life - VF5 Final Showdown
Yakuza: Like a Dragon - Both games! Even the other Sega games such as Virtual On! and Puyo Puyo.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD