Characters Thoughts on the ninjas?

Tenryuga

Christie just has speed. But poor mixup in comparison, nowhere near the mobility, and no bs.tricks like juggles off everything, ports, or stance dodges (ss aside). Christie is much easier to deal with. Or at least, not so infuriatingly bs.

Fight a christie that knows how to utilize JAK properly. Let me know how many times your MIDS were evaded by that move even when they are TRACKING MIDS.

Argentus

Fight a christie that knows how to utilize JAK properly. Let me know how many times your MIDS were evaded by that move even when they are TRACKING MIDS.

Jak?

Either way, I just punish christies. I'm not about to try and Chase her.

Russian-chiropractic19

Standard Donor
I keep coming on here but I haven't shared my thoughts yet.

Hayate- gets a lot of flack for being the "boring " one but I personally like him. His wind dash to me looks much cooler than Ryu's teleports and Kasumi's Sakura petals, no illusions just speed so quick he can loop around you and you won't even see him till he stops directly behind you. Gameplay wise he's my favorite of the ninjas in DOA5 he's simple but effective he's a stream lined ninja and I'm hoping he makes the cut for NG4.

Ayane- most interesting of the ninjas personality wise, very unique if strange fighting style pretty much laughs at any attempts to side step I personally find her very difficult to fight once she gets in a stun it's like there's a buzz saw in my face. She's not someone I'm going to even attempt to play as

Kasumi- bland personality same as Hayate and Ryu. Once she launches you expect to see a lot of pink and don't expect to land anytime soon, her quick taunts and back flips make this easily one of the most infuriating of the ninjas to fight IMO. Her dash throw has often left me thinking "what the fuck just happened?"

Ryu- my favorite of the ninjas because of ninja Gaiden but in DOA I don't really like him. his fighting style is just off he relies on tricks when he really doesn't need them.

TakedaZX

Hayate- gets a lot of flack for being the "boring " one but I personally like him. His wind dash to me looks much cooler than Ryu's teleports and Kasumi's Sakura petals, no illusions just speed so quick he can loop around you and you won't even see him till he stops directly behind you. Gameplay wise he's my favorite of the ninjas in DOA5 he's simple but effective he's a stream lined ninja and I'm hoping he makes the cut for NG4.
Maybe. I think his wind dash still has room for small improvements though so that it'd be more integrated into his gameplay.

Chapstick

Jak?

Jakeiho, her godlike sidestep with tons of options which she also has off of many of her combos. She's crazy unsafe like Kasumi is but she is such a good character with a crapload of tools. I wish all the characters in this game were great like her, Ayane, and Lei. Here's a vid Pokerking uploaded here a while ago:

The weird glitch with the wobbling health bars is a bit nauseating so.. Try to ignore it

Argentus

Jakeiho, her godlike sidestep with tons of options which she also has off of many of her combos. She's crazy unsafe like Kasumi is but she is such a good character with a crapload of tools. I wish all the characters in this game were great like her, Ayane, and Lei. Here's a vid Pokerking uploaded here a while ago:

The weird glitch with the wobbling health bars is a bit nauseating so.. Try to ignore it

If I recall though, it is just a sidestep, which means most things still track it, can be grabbed, and most players lunch so easy to read and hold.

TakedaZX

If I recall though, it is just a sidestep, which means most things still track it, can be grabbed, and most players lunch so easy to read and hold.
The problem you're not realizing is only low tracking and mid tracking moves can follow it. That means a character like Kokoro cannot catch her without 46PP which isn't the fastest string in the world and this also levels down her moveiist and if used correctly, you AT THE LEAST get a 50/50 situation for the "launch" with Christie, so she doesn't have to worry about always getting held.

Don't down play her.

Chapstick

From what Tenryuga said, she can evade some tracking mids. You can't grab it when you're in the middle of trying to hit her, and if you're just a quarter of a second late trying to grab when you can, she can 44 out of grab range, and from her jakeiho backdash she can really mess up your day. It sounds like the Christies you've played weren't that good (like my crap Christie :p)

TakedaZX

From what Tenryuga said, she can evade some tracking mids. You can't grab it when you're in the middle of trying to hit her, and if you're just a quarter of a second late trying to grab when you can, she can 44 out of grab range, and from her jakeiho backdash she can really mess up your day. It sounds like the Christies you've played weren't that good (like my crap Christie :p)
Not to mention the second her strike becomes active, you're boned because STRIKES > THROWS. OH's are also slow and she doesn' stay crouching so consider that a NH launch or stun free for her.

d3v

Jak?

Jakeiho.

Against a good Christie, that means she can punish your punish with a JAK stance into a combo even into CB for hundred or so damage or more.
I remember a looong time ago, Mr. Wah made a suggestion to have differing lifebar amounts for each character, which 2D fighters often have. These lifebars can be based on weight, speed, build, etc., and can reinforce/influence a character's playstyle. Maybe even have different characters more/less resistant to stun or stun thresholds?
Mike Z gave a talk on this when he was making Skullgirls and what he said was that this was flat out lazy balancing. Resorting to this is usually an indicator that your characters have serious flaws or aren't soundly designed in the first place. In most cases, these lead to only short term balance since the characters in question have either too many tools or, are most likely lacking certain tools that they could use instead of just having large lifebars.

Last edited:

Awesmic

Standard Donor
Christie just has speed. But poor mixup in comparison, nowhere near the mobility, and no bs.tricks like juggles off everything, ports, or stance dodges (ss aside). Christie is much easier to deal with. Or at least, not so infuriatingly bs.
"Poor mixups"? "Nowhere near the mobility"?

I'd let that slide if it were DOA4, but in this case...

AkaShocka

Christie is just as good as the ninjas dude. And yes she does have those BS tricks. In all honesty her "tricks" are even better than Ryu and Hayate's. I would say Kasumi but I'm not fully sure on that one. But Ayane has the most tricks and BS. Christie can space just as good too. She has her evasive SS. She can go up and down also. Aside from Kasumi, due to her stance her strings can be longer than the ninjas. She can even do a string - go into stance - use string from stance - go back into stance and so forth. She's just as hard to deal with.

Argentus

Christie is just as good as the ninjas dude. And yes she does have those BS tricks. In all honesty her "tricks" are even better than Ryu and Hayate's. I would say Kasumi but I'm not fully sure on that one. But Ayane has the most tricks and BS. Christie can space just as good too. She has her evasive SS. She can go up and down also. Aside from Kasumi, due to her stance her strings can be longer than the ninjas. She can even do a string - go into stance - use string from stance - go back into stance and so forth. She's just as hard to deal with.

Okay let me rephrase.

I have a much easier time with christie than ninjas. Christie can't port, leap over people, or close the gap instantly, and is much easier to read.

I.could say she's roughly equal to hayate, the easiest ninja to fight.

d3v

Okay let me rephrase.

I have a much easier time with christie than ninjas. Christie can't port, leap over people, or close the gap instantly, and is much easier to read.

I.could say she's roughly equal to hayate, the easiest ninja to fight.
That's because you're most likely not playing good Christies. Online to boot.

Tier lists are always based on the assumed highest level of play offline.

"Poor mixups"? "Nowhere near the mobility"?

I'd let that slide if it were DOA4, but in this case...

Yeah, I still play a DOA4 Christie, and there she had decent mixup and mobility. I know I don't play her right, but JAK makes a big difference for her when used right, and she is def deadlier in this game.

XZero264

FSD | Nichol
Premium Donor
Ryu - Needs his old handstand stance back for good. Just for the hops. You don't need a victory quote when you can just go into handstand and hold 8, 7, or 9 (you know why if you have seen what the hop looks like). And I would pick him back up (freaking loved the handstand transitions).

Hayate- Despite being the weakest of the ninjas (gameplaywise) I have a lot of fun playing as him, Wind Dash stance and teleoprts is pretty fun (I suck with advanced hold Izunas is why). #BuffHayate

Don't really care about the other three. Kasumi is quick, Ayane ducks everything, and Momiji just out ranges everything I do.

TakedaZX

Ryu - Needs his old handstand stance back for good. Just for the hops. You don't need a victory quote when you can just go into handstand and hold 8, 7, or 9 (you know why if you have seen what the hop looks like). And I would pick him back up (freaking loved the handstand transitions).

Hayate- Despite being the weakest of the ninjas (gameplaywise) I have a lot of fun playing as him, Wind Dash stance and teleoprts is pretty fun (I suck with advanced hold Izunas is why). #BuffHayate

Don't really care about the other three. Kasumi is quick, Ayane ducks everything, and Momiji just out ranges everything I do.
Doa5 yes. Doa5u no, he just lacks the true exposure of his potential with his current tools by the lack of interest that TN seems to show in him.

But I digress.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD