Dead or Alive 6 with a different game engine

inochinagi

Standard Donor
What engine does DOA5/5U/5LR use, then? Direct X? Or their own engine based on Direct X? Can they change an engine enough to warrant calling it their own and even naming it? What engine(s) did DOA use before DOA5?

I have always seen the term "soft engine" used loosely, anyways. I always thought it was less of a "real engine" and more of a graphical and/or animation tweak or just their name for whatever they were doing with the breast physics or animation in general, not the name of the whole engine used for the games (mostly because I don't think they started using the term until DOA5U iirc, so it's not like the whole game was using this "engine" from DOA5's inception). It's not like I'm anywhere near an expert on the matter, but I thought a game could have a gameplay engine and a graphics engine, based on actual proprietary programing, calculations, and algorithms happening in the background, and in terms of visuals that could effect rending all the visuals the lighting, and animations (hair, cloth, boobs).

Even if it all comes down to the talent of whatever DOA5's artists, modelers, number of polygons, and animators did to make it look so great, that's fine. Whatever they did with DOA5 to 5LR, I like that. Still the best looking fighting game I've ever seen, and if there's any game where I can say the characters actually look "soft" it's DoA5. I can't give the same kudos to DOA6... whatever good there is in the visuals of DOA6 came from the good work done in DOA5, imo.

Last edited:

Rob

The Dragon Shrine Maiden
Premium Donor
Matt already pointed out part of additions the soft engine provided, but the more obvious difference is what it does to breast physics. As I said previously, you can toggle the breast motion to "LR" in the PS4/X1 versions of the game. There are comparison videos out there that show the difference in the PS4 and PS3 versions. "LR" does have more natural motion but can get a little overtly bouncy whenever an arm or something else touches them lol. Or just watch Momiji's victory animation when she walks away XD. So it's a combination of making skin and booba bounce more realistic, that was TN's goal.

But to say the soft engine doesn't do anything is flat out wrong. It's clearly demonstratable what it's doing.

The issue the OP has and most people with DOA6 are nobody likes how the game looks. Ever seen how DW9 looks? It's extremely bland. Folks want a more visually appealing DOA game.

PS I do like the PS4 version of LR the most graphically. I've played LR on PC at 4K, but I miss some of the extra vibrancy that's in the PS4 version (even cranking vibrancy in NVCP doesn't achieve the same effect).

Last edited:

inochinagi

Standard Donor
I never doubted that it did something, even if it's literally just boob physics, but calling that an "engine" is probably misleading (even if unintentionally) on TN's part. I've seen many people take "soft engine" and apply it to the whole game or at least all the graphics. I don't think TN ever said or even implied that it was ever a whole engine for the whole game, so I think it's really just a misunderstanding by a lot of people.

"I've played LR on PC at 4K" how? I get it'd be upscaled, but I've been looking for a way to get it to hook the my PC up to my TV and have it run in 4K. It looks great played on my Xbox One too, though, but it's clearly lacking in the HDR extra oomph you get with DOA6.

Last edited:

Rob

The Dragon Shrine Maiden
Premium Donor
You can run it natively at 4K. It's in the "Config" option under "Resolution".

If I play on my 1080p monitor, I just enable Dynamic Super Resolution in Nvidia CP, render the game at 4K then downscale that to 1080p. Kind of makes antialiasing moot because it eliminates nearly most of it. DOA6 looks a lot better done this way as well.

Last edited:

inochinagi

Standard Donor
I was gonna be like "wait, there is no config in the options menu", then I realized I've always opened the game from my desktop shortcut and never from steam, so now I tried that, lol. Whoops (facepalm).

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
but the more obvious difference is what it does to breast physics.
It doesn't alter the physics in any way. It just uses tessellation provided by DX 11 to add more tris to the breasts so that their weight values (that are the same as their DX9 versions, because the variant is in DX11's feature set not the meshes) will have more bend and curve to it. It's utilizing a feature provided by the DirectX engine's updates.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
The issue the OP has and most people with DOA6 are nobody likes how the game looks. Ever seen how DW9 looks? It's extremely bland. Folks want a more visually appealing DOA game.

Nah, that's definitely your view. Not everyone is impressed, sure, but I know a lot of people that love DOA6's graphics and on top of that it has an incredible photo mode. I'm not saying it wasn't rushed out the door, and I do think it should have been held for PS5 and Series X delivery, but overall, the game looks great.

Rob

The Dragon Shrine Maiden
Premium Donor
It doesn't alter the physics in any way. It just uses tessellation provided by DX 11 to add more tris to the breasts so that their weight values (that are the same as their DX9 versions, because the variant is in DX11's feature set not the meshes) will have more bend and curve to it. It's utilizing a feature provided by the DirectX engine's updates.
Have you actually looked at the code?

Nah, that's definitely your view. Not everyone is impressed, sure, but I know a lot of people that love DOA6's graphics and on top of that it has an incredible photo mode. I'm not saying it wasn't rushed out the door, and I do think it should have been held for PS5 and Series X delivery, but overall, the game looks great.
What is incredible about the photo mode? Isn't it exactly the same as DOA5's?

Rob

The Dragon Shrine Maiden
Premium Donor
I just pulled both games up and went into Spectator Mode, chose Com vs. Com, and the photo options are identical. It doesn't display the options in the DOA5 photo mode overlay, but you can still do tilt, zoom, adjust focus, move camera, aperture, etc.

If there's more settings to play with in DOA6 I'd love to know what they are.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
I think it's a night and day difference in terms of quality of the photos myself. That's why Twitter is lined up with VV and DOA6 photos and little to none for DOA5.

inochinagi

Standard Donor
DOA6 is in 4K+HDR and DOA5LR isn't. I don't see any other reason to prefer it visually other than that.

Rob

The Dragon Shrine Maiden
Premium Donor
When he said that DOA6 had an "incredible photo mode" I took that meaning it had an expansive suite of options. But it's the same exact thing you have in DOA5.

I can take 5LR photos in 4K and do even more stuff in Photoshop...

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
When he said that DOA6 had an "incredible photo mode" I took that meaning it had an expansive suite of options. But it's the same exact thing you have in DOA5.

I can take 5LR photos in 4K and do even more stuff in Photoshop...

Please. Run me by a portfolio of your work for the community. I'd love to showcase it some time.

Rob

The Dragon Shrine Maiden
Premium Donor
So, the "night and day difference of quality in photos" just means you greatly prefer how DOA6 looks over DOA5, not that there is anything inherently better about its photo mode.

DOA6 photos can look good depending on using a stage that doesn't blind you with bloom. But aesthetically, 5LR is much more visually appealing to me. There's no accounting for taste.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
So, the "night and day difference of quality in photos" just means you like greatly prefer how DOA6 looks over DOA5, not that there is anything inherently better about its photo mode.

DOA6 photos can look good depending on using a stage that doesn't blind you with bloom. But aesthetically, 5LR is much more visually appealing to me.

4K HDR with photoshop is better than regular 4K with photoshop. Once again, I use the photo mode all the time to attract people to my stories and to me it takes better looking photos. Blow me away with some of your photos and I might feature them in one of my articles. It would be great to see actual contributions from you instead of you just running your mouth all the time as well with nothing to show for it.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD