Dead or Alive 6 with a different game engine

Rob

Premium Donor
Trying to missquote my sentence as I explain further more that you simply fact out on a character creation. lol
You originally had "Lo Wang", so I was trying to help. :)

I played it for like 5 minutes. You really want DOA looking like Wo Long? It would be like DOA x Mortal Kombat 11. Looks ugly as hell. It and Nioh 2 just look so uninspired and soulless. Street Fighter 6 suffers the same problems, another ugly looking game.

Last edited:

Rob

Premium Donor
Inside or out of the character creator? Either way you still went farther than I bothered to.
Lol I skipped the menus and character creator screens as fast as I could to get to the gameplay. And the gameplay itself was not interesting. It's like a worse Sekiro, combat was Zzz, wtf is with the jumping, level design is bad, etc.

You want to talk about a game that needs a different graphics engine, it's this one. Not only are the graphics very poor but it's so bland. I assume the art director chair was empty during its time in development.

FWIW I did play it on PS5 after reading reports the PC version had terrible performance.

One more game left to fulfill KT's Three Kingdoms quota (Ronin) then TN can get to work on those NG and DOA reboots :D

Last edited:

Lorenzo Buti

Can I have your attention everyone?

I would like to now make a comparison of those graphic engines in three of Team NINJA's own games, here we have Jann Lee and Leifang with DOA6 on the left, DOA5LR in the middle, and Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty on the right. Look how their body details look a lot more different like you can tell right away that the new action RPG game Wo Long has slightly modified the Soft Engine to a little more Unreal-type Engine which to me, looks like they've pulled off the hands and feet designs a lot better than they did with DOA6. But I can still tell with the abdomen from Dead or Alive 5 and Wo Long, it's almost too similar in my case. Hopefully if NInja Gaiden 4 or Dead or Alive 7 were to come out, they would've used more with the game engines from their action RPG titles.

Jann Lee Graphics Engine Comparison.png

Leifang Graphics Engine Comparison.png

OpposingFarce

If my first exposure to an engine is a game where I can't make the absolute best girl (Himeno) in a literal character creation tool it's gonna be a very hard sell for me!

Lorenzo Buti

I'm aware. Looks nothing like em.
My custom skills made more use of looking like the fighters from the game. And besides this is only a graphics engine comparison. I'm trying to showcase what their body types look like in those three games I pointed out.

Rob

Premium Donor
I understand. What I've been saying is the graphics engine is dogshit.

Lorenzo Buti

I understand. What I've been saying is the graphics engine is dogshit.
For Dead or Alive 6 is mostly dogshit, as for Dead or Alive 5 it still ages perfectly, and Wo Long is somewhat questionable of their engine usage from Nioh and Stranger of Paradise. I hope someone will understand more if they want a new Team NINJA game using that engine that we're somewhat used to.

Rob

Premium Donor
I would take how DOA6 looks over Wo Long any day of the week. Somehow Wo Long manages to be even more bland than 6.

Another thing that bugs me about that demo is how unpolished it is. A TN game lacking polish was unthinkable when Itagaki was steering the ship. KT should rename the studio. Team Shibusawa.

Last edited:

Sotherius

Wo long looks great. But its color palette would not exactly fit doa.

But this isn't an engine related thing, You could have doa6 models be rendered in whatever engine wolong is being rendered or vice versa, you are all just comparing models.

Lorenzo Buti

I would take how DOA6 looks over Wo Long any day of the week. Somehow Wo Long manages to be even more bland than 6.

Another thing that bugs me about that demo is how unpolished it is. A TN game lacking polish was unthinkable when Itagaki was steering the ship. KT should rename the studio. Team Shibusawa.
I think renaming a studio that kept it's forsaken name for so long won't even work that way. The reason that they're called Team NINJA is mainly cause Ryu Hayabusa being like Tecmo's character icon of gaming before the merge as Koei Tecmo. Which is also why we have ninjas in Dead or Alive, Ninja Gaiden, and Nioh.

Also DOA6's engine still looks a lot like horseshit even when I still can't stand looking at their design details unlike it's previous entry Dead or Alive 5 which smoothed out a little more. Wo Long somehow took a part of Nioh's engine then somehow reconverted to an Unreal detail for their whole game.

Lorenzo Buti

Wo long looks great. But its color palette would not exactly fit doa.

But this isn't an engine related thing, You could have doa6 models be rendered in whatever engine wolong is being rendered or vice versa, you are all just comparing models.
Ugh, I still don't even want to think of DOA6's shitty DW9 engine which was a used asset and I don't even want to remember how bad every detail you can still count. Overall if DOA6 used an action RPG engine instead of DW9's engine, it would make it a more alright matter. Still can't help but wrap my head around with what ever engine they use in their upcoming projects.

inochinagi

Standard Donor
New to the community. Learned a lot from this discussion. Thanks!

Welcome, and thanks for making it through that and still saying "thanks" at the end of it, lol. I was literally thinking "damn, if this kind of discourse is the first thing a new DOA player sees here, it might turn new people off this community entirely" at times with this thread.

OpposingFarce

All jokes aside, the truth is that DOA5LR was a pretty high peak and I personally would not have minded if they kept the engine, didn't touch the graphics a single bit, and focused on new stages + mechanics (and an AI that actually fucking works). Have you played DOA5 at 4k, maxed out? It looks fantastic on my 32 inch monitor.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD