Dead or Alive 6 with a different game engine

TheIndustrialCowboy

NiCO Evangelist
Premium Donor
Man I took some other really cool photos but too much hair, arm, leg, etc. clipping :(
This might be my only point of frustration with the graphics in DOA6, but from what I understand clipping is pretty unavoidable in most games. If you play with the angles right though, you can eliminate the clipping from view (or at least create the illusion that it's not there).

As far as the PS4's graphics go, I find that the grainy-ness of the photos themselves can be minimised through strategic use of focus blur. As for the screen itself, I play on a 11-foot wide projector screen, so smaller details become easier to notice when making adjustments in photo mode.

The 4th phase

Standard Donor
Haven’t play doa on ps4 in years, it wasn’t too bad from what I can remember but the ps makes a differenc.

Sotherius

Unless you are hand animating every cloth piece frame by frame, clipping will be kinda unavoidable, or would be too intensive to run super precise collision and physics in real time.

Rob

The Dragon Shrine Maiden
Premium Donor
Why was the $2 hair color change the straw that broke the camel's back, and not the reselling of DOA5 cosmetics, or the lack of online lobbies at launch, or the characters that wound up as DLC like Nyotengu, or the barebones retail game, or the meter mechanics, or etc.

There were so many better reasons to kill DOA6 but a few bucks for a hair color is the kiss of death? Folks had no problem rebuying cosmetics they had in the previous game. You could also not buy the hair color too, but I guess the playerbase who wants to play Barbie dress up is larger than those who want to play it for the fighting. KT truly had no shame being that cynical lol

Last edited:

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
Why was the $2 hair color change the straw that broke the camel's back

Because paying the $2 hair color change didn't have you 'own' that color. You'd have to spend premium tickets to set the color, premium tickets to reset the color, and premium tickets to set the color again (even if it's the same color as before), and buying the color only used it for that hair style not any other character or hair style.

Rob

The Dragon Shrine Maiden
Premium Donor
KT coming up with more absurdly pathetic ways to grift a game series they didn't have faith in from the beginning. Did you guys seriously think KT was going to change how they do business after 5LR with how much they milked the fuck outta that game with DLC? Of all the things you could be reasonably be upset about with the game, that is beyond the pale? That is the thing to unplug a game from life support? I get it if it's a culmination of things and that's the tipping point but it seemed there was so much more furor over the hair color DLC than anything else, which you guys should have expected since day 1 they were going to do some ridiculous shenanigans. It's amazing they even released Seaside Eden as free DLC, I guess that was their apology?

But honestly I'm not surprised it was over a cosmetic DLC. You look at what people care about in DOA games, it's the cosmetics and presentation above all else. Nearly all DOA discussions are about how the characters and games look, so it makes sense.

Last edited:

inochinagi

Standard Donor
It's not like no one was complaining about anything before that. Sometimes it takes even a small bit of weight on top of a pile of tons of smaller weights to break a back (hence the saying). And yeah, I'd argue that was the most obvious example by that point that KT seriously thought they could treat their consumers like chumps, even if you could argue they had been doing that for a long time already. Nothing else before that could be used as a ridiculous headline by game outlets to represent all the other BS, like that particular level of BS could. Although, I do remember seeing some articles before that about how much DOA5's and/or DOA6's cost of DLC in total was ridiculous, which was repeated by some game outlets when reporting on the hair colour fiasco (but obviously just that wasn't enough to bring any change/reaction from KT). It also united more fans in being upset enough with KT to want to do something about it.

And why are you talking about this like an outsider and pointing at the rest of us? At what point and with what grift would you have tried to take KT to task, that would have produced the same level of reaction from the gaming community in general? Are you suggesting that none of us should have bought DOA6 in the first place?

And there's been plenty of discussion about gameplay issues in the past too. I remember top plays dropping the game in around the first month of the game's release was a pretty public thing, but apparently that wasn't enough to bring any reaction from KT. Probably because they thought gamers like that weren't the ones who they could squeeze the most cash out of, anyways.

Last edited:

TheIndustrialCowboy

NiCO Evangelist
Premium Donor
Personally, I just wish the developers still made new content for this game. By the time I got into DOA, they had already stopped making new updates and DLC for DOA6. I agree that the pricing and tickets issue is egregious, but in the end I just want more support for this game. It's the only video game I actually care to play.

inochinagi

Standard Donor
No one knew how KT would finally react to the negative publicity. It was risky to call them out on it, and it's like pulling the plug entirely on the game was their final punishment to fans, for having the audacity to consider fairness to consumers. They could have just fixed any issues, promised to listen more to fans, and kept supporting the game, but nope.

Rob

The Dragon Shrine Maiden
Premium Donor
It's not like no one was complaining about anything before that. Sometimes it takes even a small bit of weight on top of a pile of tons of smaller weights to break a back (hence the saying). And yeah, I'd argue that was the most obvious example by that point that KT seriously thought they could treat their consumers like chumps, even if you could argue they had been doing that for a long time already. Nothing else before that could be used as a ridiculous headline by game outlets to represent all the other BS, like that particular level of BS could. Although, I do remember seeing some articles before that about how much DOA5's and/or DOA6's cost of DLC in total was ridiculous, which was repeated by some game outlets when reporting on the hair colour fiasco (but obviously just that wasn't enough to bring any change/reaction from KT). It also united more fans in being upset enough with KT to want to do something about it.
Everytime DOA gets mainstream media attention it's always negative.

And why are you talking about this like an outsider and pointing at the rest of us? At what point and with what grift would you have tried to take KT to task, that would have produced the same level of reaction from the gaming community in general? Are you suggesting that none of us should have bought DOA6 in the first place?
Cause by the time I picked up DOA, the train had already left the station (that was 2021). To catch up on the back history I did a lot of lurking, reading and talking with folks who were playing when these games were still supported.

Originally I only wanted to play 5LR but ended up playing 6 for the most part because 1) I wanted to main Mai Shiranui but she was unavailable as DLC on PS4 2) I'm primarily a PC gamer and the PC port of 5LR was largely inactive in NA. So 6 was the only one I could regularly get games and play the character I wanted.

Tbf my perspective is very biased because I find whining about cosmetic DLC in general to be Iike screaming into a void. I hate all the microtransactions and paid DLC like everyone else but what can you do? These companies won't stop and will find newer, more awful ways to nickel and dime you. I find changing the hair color of the DOA characters to be sacrilege so it's whatever lol. Atleast the frame data is free.

KT should hire me as DLC content planner. I know how to make it a lot more lucrative for them. But my ideas would require these games given a budget greater than a pack of gum.

Last edited:

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
KT coming up with more absurdly pathetic ways to grift a game series they didn't have faith in from the beginning. Did you guys seriously think KT was going to change how they do business after 5LR with how much they milked the fuck outta that game with DLC? Of all the things you could be reasonably be upset about with the game, that is beyond the pale? That is the thing to unplug a game from life support? I get it if it's a culmination of things and that's the tipping point but it seemed there was so much more furor over the hair color DLC than anything else, which you guys should have expected since day 1 they were going to do some ridiculous shenanigans. It's amazing they even released Seaside Eden as free DLC, I guess that was their apology?

But honestly I'm not surprised it was over a cosmetic DLC. You look at what people care about in DOA games, it's the cosmetics and presentation above all else. Nearly all DOA discussions are about how the characters and games look, so it makes sense.

I don't understand how the topic of a crossed boundary over DLC practices pertains to discussion on the next DOA using Nioh's or any other graphics engine.

Rob

The Dragon Shrine Maiden
Premium Donor
Hey you continued the derail :p but feel free to get us back on topic :)

Actually, has anyone made any DOA characters in UE5 yet?

Lorenzo Buti

Hey you continued the derail :p but feel free to get us back on topic :)

Actually, has anyone made any DOA characters in UE5 yet?
I don’t see the point in Dead or Alive fighting games using an Unreal Engine when you know that currently Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty is using a little superior engine that they’ve still got while other games such as that Venus Vacation game still use Soft Engine. But honestly I wouldn’t know.

Last edited:

Sotherius

Haven't had any time to play vidya lately, is the Wo Long demo a good or bad omen for any new KT crap?
The game looks great, even on my series S, but the demo is not working well on the pc build, hope they fix it soon. Otherwise the game looks great, and you have some DOA presets that look good.

Attachments

• vlcsnap-2023-02-24-12h27m23s179.png
    vlcsnap-2023-02-24-12h27m23s179.png
    717.6 KB · Views: 70
  • vlcsnap-2023-02-24-12h27m17s455.png
    vlcsnap-2023-02-24-12h27m17s455.png
    762 KB · Views: 69

OpposingFarce

Can I create Himeno from my favorite Chainsaw Man Japanese cartoon in the character creator

Update: I can't. I am disappointed. Uninstalling. Will not buy.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD