DEAD OR ALIVE : the animation_ alpha test

axouel2009

I didn’t ask for your damn opinion when I gave mine, so shut up. It’s a request I made because I think they will fit the story. I didn’t ask for your opinion while giving it, so shut it and keep it to yourself.
hey calm down every opinion is important, I'm not doing this for ME I do this for US :)
I know I couldn't satisfy everyone but contrary to team ninja, I will try to take into account all your opinions :)
Let's stay benevolent guys ♥

Give your opinions on somebody else’s requests. My requests are my requests and I don’t want your opinions on them cuz I don’t give a damn. So keep them to yourself. You’re dismissed, you can go now View attachment 31184

I have to disagree with you on the fact that every opinion is important, some opinions truly don’t matter, that’s why not everybody should give them. However, I do respect you and your project a lot, so I am fully supporting you ❤.

Like I said, I can say whatever I want, and you're NO ONE to tell me otherwise.

And it's like HE said, everyone's opinons matter, so I'm putting in mine. The world does not revolve around you. But I guess it's no point trying to start an argument with someone with a mind of a child like you.

hey calm down every opinion is important, I'm not doing this for ME I do this for US :)
I know I couldn't satisfy everyone but contrary to team ninja, I will try to take into account all your opinions :)
Let's stay benevolent guys ♥

You have my support in this, dude. Show Team Ninja how to do it right.

In my life I’m the star of my own show. I do care about other people’s opinions. You’re just not one of them. I don’t have a genuine respect for you, like I do with some other members. You can indeed say whatever you want, just not with me because I’m not the one. I’m not a man child, I just don’t like unwanted opinions on the stuff I request. Especially when your opinions are just a case of “I don’t like them, so they shouldn’t be in the story”. If you would’ve backed up why they wouldn’t fit in the story I would’ve respected it. But you didn’t, so.

And like I said previously, not every opinion matters. Especially when they’re so shallow and empty. Such as yours for example.

OK. Long story short, both Momiji and Rachel have only appeared in DOA as guest characters but never really had anything to offer when it came to the story of DOA 5, 6, or any of the other previous DOA games. And why would they?

Rachel is a fiend hunter. She has no reason to be part of the fight between the Mugen Tenshin Clan and DOATEC.
Momiji is a shrine maiden of the Hayabusa Clan and that clan is not part of this war either. Ryu just gets himself involved for...honestly, I don't know why. doATEC never did anything to his clan, so I don't know why he's involved.

So Momiji and Rachel really don't have a real purpose to be part of the main story of DOA at all.
Although, now that I think about it, Marie and Honoka shown to be completely useless in DOA 6, so they shouldn't have been involved either.

KwonJigglypuff

Can WE only focus on the project ?

Can a mod remove the debate. Not trying to be rude, your opinions are interesting but the tone is embarassing. Let's act as a community.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
Can WE only focus on the project ?

Can a mod remove the debate. Not trying to be rude, your opinions are interesting but the tone is embarassing. Let's act as a community.
I’ll remove my rightful opinions :)
OK. Long story short, both Momiji and Rachel have only appeared in DOA as guest characters but never really had anything to offer when it came to the story of DOA 5, 6, or any of the other previous DOA games. And why would they?

Rachel is a fiend hunter. She has no reason to be part of the fight between the Mugen Tenshin Clan and DOATEC.
Momiji is a shrine maiden of the Hayabusa Clan and that clan is not part of this war either. Ryu just gets himself involved for...honestly, I don't know why. doATEC never did anything to his clan, so I don't know why he's involved.

So Momiji and Rachel really don't have a real purpose to be part of the main story of DOA at all.
Although, now that I think about it, Marie and Honoka shown to be completely useless in DOA 6, so they shouldn't have been involved either.
If they can use time travel to include Naotora being in DOA5LR, I’m sure they could bring up a story for Momiji and Rachel. Both of them want to test their strength and even others’ strengths. Them participating in the tournament could easily involve them in the Mist vs doatec drama. Honoka and Marie rose were indeed very useless. Let’s not forget that the only reason they’re in DOA is due to their popularity. If they flopped they would’ve gotten shafted like Leon, Ein and Gen fu.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
A few Cameo will be in the project, some will come from ninja gaiden, one is from venus vacation, two from virtua fighter, hummm and probably some more :)

You're just in time for that actually. Official Sega (JP one, not NA) has been on a retweet for "anything" character related, including VF on whatever it is, fan-made art, crossovers art etc. If the timing is right, it can boom pretty fast.

The obvious common suggestion is Pai and Akira since those two are the most popular VF characters and have been in a couple games together plenty of times (ProjectXZone, DOA etc.) but the VF choosing is up to you since it is your project that you have going on.

I’ll remove my rightful opinions :)

If they can use time travel to include Naotora being in DOA5LR, I’m sure they could bring up a story for Momiji and Rachel. Both of them want to test their strength and even others’ strengths. Them participating in the tournament could easily involve them in the Mist vs doatec drama. Honoka and Marie rose were indeed very useless. Let’s not forget that the only reason they’re in DOA is due to their popularity. If they flopped they would’ve gotten shafted like Leon, Ein and Gen fu.

The time traveling idea to bring Naotora in DOA was just ridiculous. Same can be said for Kula in DOA 6. I mean seriously? Time travel? DOATEC using time travel, just to bring in characters from different eras in DOA. If thats the case, then they could just go back in time, and prevent the Mugen Tenshin Clan from ever existing in the first place so they would ensure their victory.

DestructionBomb

Standard Donor
^ Alright enough derailing the thread lol, people already know Naotora was only introduced due to enforced KT shenanigans since their crossover options was limited that time so KT enforced their own characters to TN out of sheer gimmick.

Let the topic creator continue his thread to help DOA's plot. Just drop it.

Last edited:

inochinagi

Standard Donor
As expected, your design of Lisa turned out awesome. Would be nice to see one of the 4 expressions there being more of her cheerful side, tho... but that made me realize that most of your designs so far (I think all?) have been on the serious side. I'm not criticizing, but I'm just curious if this means that your project will be focusing on a more serious tone than the games have?

Thank you so much ! It means a world to me ( don't forget to follow the twitter acount , weekly updated ;) )

The scenario of the project takes place mainly between doa4 and doa4, interspersed with a lot of flashback before DOA1 for the most part ;)

The series will be composed of episodes of a few minutes each time centered on one or more characters.

I'll edit it at the end and we'll have some kind of animated medium-length film.

I don't have an actor for the voices yet as the project is not yet advanced enough for that. On the other hand I have a musician / sound mixer, it's a good start.

But I'll try to find good actors (probably in english, but I'd like everybody to speak their native language lol, the episode of helena will be partly in french and the episode of mila in spanish for exemple. )

I don't use twitter (sorry), so I really appreciate that you keep posting updates here, even if it's not everything. Next time I ever log into twitter I'll add you to my follow list for sure, though, but I'm not going to use twitter regularly.

Good idea with having each character speak their own language. Whenever I think about making a game or something like this I believe in doing it that way too. Maybe look for actors who can speak more than one language (their own language and English, maybe even Japanese since so much of the cast speaks Japanese). I know you're a long way from that, but if you think that far maybe that will make it more likely to reach that far (like the popular saying goes, "Aim for the stars, because even if you miss you could still land on the moon", or something).

What made you decide to make it take place between DOA4 and DOA5 rather than start from the beginning? It's cool either way, just wondering why. I'm guessing it's so that you could work on most of the fan favorite characters in the series so far.

Well, whatever you end up making ultimately, I'm sure it'll be cool to see. A lot of fan projects out there have been amazing for fellow fans, I'm sure yours can be too.

axouel2009

As expected, your design of Lisa turned out awesome. Would be nice to see one of the 4 expressions there being more of her cheerful side, tho... but that made me realize that most of your designs so far (I think all?) have been on the serious side. I'm not criticizing, but I'm just curious if this means that your project will be focusing on a more serious tone than the games have?

I don't use twitter (sorry), so I really appreciate that you keep posting updates here, even if it's not everything. Next time I ever log into twitter I'll add you to my follow list for sure, though, but I'm not going to use twitter regularly.

Good idea with having each character speak their own language. Whenever I think about making a game or something like this I believe in doing it that way too. Maybe look for actors who can speak more than one language (their own language and English, maybe even Japanese since so much of the cast speaks Japanese). I know you're a long way from that, but if you think that far maybe that will make it more likely to reach that far (like the popular saying goes, "Aim for the stars, because even if you miss you could still land on the moon", or something).

What made you decide to make it take place between DOA4 and DOA5 rather than start from the beginning? It's cool either way, just wondering why. I'm guessing it's so that you could work on most of the fan favorite characters in the series so far.

Well, whatever you end up making ultimately, I'm sure it'll be cool to see. A lot of fan projects out there have been amazing for fellow fans, I'm sure yours can be too.

It's true that the boards posted for the moment are very serious but the project will contain a lot of funny things (as well as some winks for the fans), without spoiling too much the episodes of Ayane, Honoka or Tina will be rather on a humorous tone where those of Mila or Nico will be rather sad and violent.
So the project will be quite diverse, sexy, violent, touching or epic scenes will follow one another.

The good news is that my musician is hot to work on the project.

In any case, I'm happy to see that people are following the project. We're still a few weeks away from moving up a gear but I'm already done designing the main cast.

I'm currently preparing a small animated teaser!

inochinagi

Standard Donor
If your music person is doing covers of classic DOA tracks, might I suggest keeping DOA++'s soundtrack in mind for a track or two
because it's a shame hardly any fans know about that music, but then again those tracks wouldn't be as familiar to most fans I guess.

axouel2009

logo temporaire.jpg

_LINE UP2.jpg

human013

Looks interesting. Some of my thoughts
  • Since this is a DOA project have it only include DOA characters. No cameos or original characters.
  • Keep the characters speaking in either only Japanese or English unless they have officially been shown to consistently speak another language in canon. These characters are already established.
  • Treat all the characters fairly. That includes characters like Marie, Honoka, and Nico. They are official characters whether people like them or not.
  • Which audience are you targeting specifically? Your art style might not appeal to certain groups of people. For example, you're thinking about going to TN with this but the art style doesn't resemble anything they make. Your art is very western/ cartoony. This will play a major role in generating attention. In a recent interview for Ghost of Tsushima, it stated the game would have never gotten a green light if it was pitched to people in Japan because Jin was not handsome. He had a more rugged look which is not popular in Japan. Western and eastern design philosophies are different. Western and eastern art styles are different.
  • The art style already looks too western which will turn some people off. If this was an entirely new creation it would be fine but this is DOA. People already have an image of what DOA looks like and you made something completely eastern look more western.
  • Have you thought about a piece or scene you want to use to showcase your project? Will it be action heavy? Will it be scenic? I think a serious fight scene with the ninjas will grab people's attention. They are the most well known characters and it will show off your skills in fluid animation and scene composition. Who doesn't like a well animated choreographed fight scene?

That said, DOA definitely needs more fan content. I've seen numerous times where people who know nothing about a game see fan art and get interested. And I don't think approaching KT or TN is a good idea. It's better to stay as a fan project. Companies are not friends.

axouel2009

Looks interesting. Some of my thoughts
  • Since this is a DOA project have it only include DOA characters. No cameos or original characters.
  • Keep the characters speaking in either only Japanese or English unless they have officially been shown to consistently speak another language in canon. These characters are already established.
  • Treat all the characters fairly. That includes characters like Marie, Honoka, and Nico. They are official characters whether people like them or not.
  • Which audience are you targeting specifically? Your art style might not appeal to certain groups of people. For example, you're thinking about going to TN with this but the art style doesn't resemble anything they make. Your art is very western/ cartoony. This will play a major role in generating attention. In a recent interview for Ghost of Tsushima, it stated the game would have never gotten a green light if it was pitched to people in Japan because Jin was not handsome. He had a more rugged look which is not popular in Japan. Western and eastern design philosophies are different. Western and eastern art styles are different.
  • The art style already looks too western which will turn some people off. If this was an entirely new creation it would be fine but this is DOA. People already have an image of what DOA looks like and you made something completely eastern look more western.
  • Have you thought about a piece or scene you want to use to showcase your project? Will it be action heavy? Will it be scenic? I think a serious fight scene with the ninjas will grab people's attention. They are the most well known characters and it will show off your skills in fluid animation and scene composition. Who doesn't like a well animated choreographed fight scene?

That said, DOA definitely needs more fan content. I've seen numerous times where people who know nothing about a game see fan art and get interested. And I don't think approaching KT or TN is a good idea. It's better to stay as a fan project. Companies are not friends.

first of all thank you for taking your personal time to write me this message, I'm delighted to have your point of view. now let's get a few things clear, it's a project made by a fan (hopefully in the plural) for the fans. I will now respond to each of the points raised.

► There will be DOA characters, cameos belonging to the universe as well as secondary characters serving the story. Including exclusively ONLY the characters in the games will considerably impoverish the story, that's what gives a bad production in terms of adaptation most of the time.

I don't agree with that at all, I agree with the fact that most of the characters are mysteriously fluent in Japanese, it makes sense that almost all of them speak English BUT if for example Lei fang goes back to China it would make much more sense to have a Chinese dubbing in that case no matter what, I think it would deepen the characters a lot. Same case with Helena in France and Hitomi in Germany...

► Who do you think I am? lol every character will be treated fairly ! ;)

► What a nice roundabout way to say that my art is ugly lol. The artistic direction was carefully chosen, I absolutely did not want to go towards an anime style and deliberately aim for a more western look linked to a lot of Japanese animation principles in order to have a meticulous result.
Itagaki himself likes this artistic direction very much ! I'm not afraid of not pleasing a Japanese public or a public believing that only anime exists, I draw my inspiration from works such as Katsuji Morishita 's work, french comics / anime LAST MAN or the last airbender .

► as said above I know what I'm doing ;)

► Lol I have the impression that you think I didn't think about anything, it's as much fun as it is offensive to be honest. I've already finished a fight scene (not with the ninjas, I don't intend to put the ninjas in the middle of the story anyway, nor anyone else to tell the truth lol). But yes if you had followed the twitter you would have seen that the principles of the project will be based on an interesting story, well twisted, relating perfectly doa4 to doa5, fights referenced in terms of martial arts, a soupçon of fan service and humor.

SO I've been playing doa for 20 years now, I've been able to approach the team several times, I've won two costume contests, I've done a lot of tournaments, I THINK I'm legitimate to manage this project. I would like to present them the pilot once it will be done to at least have the copyright and launch a kick starter and be able to be remunerated for this project because of course I imagine that most of you do not realize the amount of work that represents the animation ^^'.

Last edited:
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD