DOA6 Graphics Thread

Macca Beam

I assume these are supposed to have bad textures (lol, there is much worse...)? Okay, your claim was however the new DOA6 costumes' textures blow the old DOA5 ones out of the water, which isn't the case as I showed you. In fact, they are partly even worse in quality.
i'm sure there are worse but i didn't buy all $1000 of dlc
you seem to be wondering where were these textures i was talking about, there they are. i never said every single costume in 5 did it nor that the few costumes with effort put into them were worse than 6

Seeing that the extremely expensive Kingdom Hearts has the same "bad" pixely hair, it makes me think that it's a deliberate choice that makes hair look better in animation and just happens to look weird when you take a screenshot and zoom in.

Screenshot 2019-02-08 14.18.35.png

There is, after all, a proud tradition of good animation that looks weird when you dissect it.

Brute

Staff member
Standard Donor
Kingdom Hearts was not aiming for a realistic art style. DOA clearly is, even if it's at times leaning towards idyllic-realism vs hyper-realism.

Putting my own biases aside, I wouldn't compare the two games visually. It would be like comparing skin textures in Overwatch to skin textures in the re-release of Resident Evil 2.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Seeing that the extremely expensive Kingdom Hearts has the same "bad" pixely hair, it makes me think that it's a deliberate choice that makes hair look better in animation and just happens to look weird when you take a screenshot and zoom in.

View attachment 27641

There is, after all, a proud tradition of good animation that looks weird when you dissect it.
Yeah, no... Where do I begin to explain?

First of all, what you refer to as "bad and pixely" hair in the Kingdom Hearts 3 screenshot is aliasing. That's small jaggies that form along polygon edges. That happens in every game. It is especially visible in lower resolutions (1080p and lower) and when games fail to implement any or a good antialiasing solution.
Those jaggies you will hardly or not at all see in the PS4 Pro or Xbox One X version of KH3 (which are at an resolution of about 1440p.)

DOA6's "bad and pixely" hair looks "bad and pixely", because on top of lacking antialiasing (which Koei Tecmo games are sadly known for) the character model assets themselves are of bad quality, especially the really low resolution hair textures on some of the characters. If you look at Sora's hair in the game (not that badly compressed image you posted) you can see that the hair texture quality is actually great, all the models are of extreme polish, no comparison to the very inconsistent quality of DOA6 models.

DOA6's hair will in contrast to KH3 even look bad in super high resolutions and good antialiasing solutions on PC and Xbox One X. It will probably stand out even more in those high resolutions, because the image is so clean and clear.

That last part about hair deliberatly looking worse to look better in animation I really can't wrap my head around at all. @__@

Last edited:
Yes, I know what aliasing and anti-aliasing are, but my point is that you don’t notice either in-game unless you take a screenshot and zoom in really close.

The quality of graphics can’t be judged by zoomed in screenshots in a game, you have to look at how it moves. And there’s no one who’s watching video of Hayate going “that hair’s too jaggy.” So where’s the problem?

Tyaren

Standard Donor
The quality of graphics can’t be judged by zoomed in screenshots in a game, you have to look at how it moves. And there’s no one who’s watching video of Hayate going “that hair’s too jaggy.” So where’s the problem?

Why are you going on about "pixely" and now "jaggy" hair. DOA6's problem are the low resolution textures, that's what I tried to explain to you.
And people sure did complain about DOA5 textures and they will complain about DOA6's partly worse textures.

It's also funny how we went from: "DOA6 textures blow DOA5's out of the water" to "Yeah, they are bad, but you won't even notice during movement and far zoomed out." The goal posts keep on moving and the standards keep on lowering. It'll be funny to see you guys bend over backwards to defend DOA7's even lower res textures (if the trend continues) on PS5, lol.

Last but not least, when it is all about movement and animation, can you now defend them messing up Nyotengu's animation and expressions?

That was a rhetorical question, by the way, I don't really want to hear it.

Last edited:

juliusxcix

Main Character
Kokoro

Why are you going on about "pixely" and now "jaggy" hair. DOA6's problem are the low resolution textures, that's what I tried to explain to you.
And people sure did complain about DOA5 textures and they will complain about DOA6's partly worse textures.

It's also funny how we went from: "DOA6 textures blow DOA5's out of the water" to "Yeah, they are bad, but you won't even notice during movement and far zoomed out." The goal posts keep on moving and the standards keep on lowering. It'll be funny to see you guys bend over backwards to defend DOA7's even lower res textures (if the trend continues) on PS5, lol.

Last but not least, when it is all about movement and animation, can you now defend them messing up Nyotengu's animation and expressions?

That was a rhetorical question, by the way, I don't really want to hear it.
i dont think they “messed up” her face. shes literally just clapped.

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor
The dress physics of Leifang's latex/leather dress are really well done though. Its flowy, it has its own weight and there's little clipping. Why can't all cloth behave as consistent?
I'm sure everyone else's clothes will have little clipping in the final version. Well, at least I hope l0l

Forgot your password?