DOA6 Graphics Thread

Jyu_Viole_Grace

I was mainly answering the "characters look more Asian" statement. They really don't. They might have made some minor model changes (Kasumi actually seems to have a smaller, rounder chin area), but that doesn't make her look more Asian. That just makes her look cuter and younger. That seems to be the main objective of DOA designers/artists in regards to the girls, cute anime doll faces, not more Asian or more realistical/natural faces.

@Shinjuku and I had a good discussion about that topic in this very thread a while ago. Maybe he wants to chime in, since he made some cool image edits that actually made the characters look more Asian.

In regards to Honoka's and Marie's faces:
They do have slightly different face models, they already had those in DOA5. Nico also has a slightly different face model. The differences are however so minor, to still fit that cute anime loli template, that the running gag of Marie in differently colored wigs is still fair game. ;)
I noticed too that Honoka looks different in some of my shots, different from Marie and different from her usual self. For example in this particular shot:

46582242434_d34bee18a2_o.png

So long and slim. I of course notice that when I do do my photo sessions, waiting for the exact right pose, angle and lighting, I am very particular about that, lol. And for that reason I can tell you it is all about the lighting, especially in The Muscle stage, which has very bright lighting with stark shadows (I actually toned it a bit down afterwards). This can change a face's appearance fundamentally:

YMUCIoD.gif

When I mean asian I mean Anime asian characters, the same way that ninjas in DOA are "ninjas" and not what a real ninja would wear and how they would fight. Even if in DOA 5 they wanted to change to a more realistic approach art style, DOA is still Anime, unlike Virtua Fighter for example.

I considered both of us would have this in mind in my previous message, the same way when I read "loli" in this forum I assume what person what to say even if that is the incorrect use.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Okay, I think you all will find this very interesting, at least I think it is. :D I tried my best to recreate the "Rig face model appreciation" photos in DOA5LR and I came mostly pretty close. I'll let the comparisons speak for themselves:

47327716991_20030a63be_o.png

46604736304_56fc2a283a_o.png

47275224772_8ce1711ab6_o.png

A couple more in spoilers:
40362608283_87651e66f7_o.png

47275224212_0cf49f9bb6_o.png

Tyaren

Standard Donor
No one else had something to say about the Rig comparisons? :(
I was surprised the difference is that big. The male body models we already knew were new, and we knew they pumped more polygon in the heads/faces as well, but they must've also done something to Rig's features, I don't know if just different textures, shaders and lighting cuts it here. His features seem finer and more handsome.
The facial expressions have also been much improved. Taking the comparison shots I noticed Rig looks a lot more friendly during a fight now, often with a smirk on his face, as if he's actually having fun. In DOA5 he was frowning or looking angry most of the time. Back then I was sure he was a bad guy, now after the DOA6 story he seems to be a good (or at least neutral) guy...when he's not controlled by someone/something.

Anyway...the new ghosting effect of the ninjas looks pretty cool and convincing, I don't know how that is actually achieved:

47338313211_926038e5c5_o.png

32396363027_0c20ca08c9_o.png

47338313851_28b149bd67_o.png

Last edited:

Xhominid The Demon Within

No one else had something to say about the Rig comparisons? :(
I was surprised the difference is that big. The male body models we already knew were new, and we knew they pumped more polygon in the heads/faces as well, but they must've also done something to Rig's features, I don't know if just different textures, shaders and lighting cuts it here. His features seem finer and more handsome.
The facial expressions have also been much improved. Taking the comparison shots I noticed Rig looks a lot more friendly during a fight now, often with a smirk on his face, as if he's actually having fun. In DOA5 he was frowning or looking angry most of the time. Back then I was sure he was a bad guy, now after the DOA6 story he seems to be a good (or at least neutral) guy...when he's not controlled by someone/something.

Anyway...the new ghosting effect of the ninjas looks pretty cool and convincing, I don't know how that is actually achieved:

47338313211_926038e5c5_o.png

32396363027_0c20ca08c9_o.png

47338313851_28b149bd67_o.png

I honestly love the ghosting effect they do now, especially when it comes to Phase 4 doing it.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
My buddy, Eliot! :D

47294933732_e1587b8c27_o.png

47294933402_66595776d5_o.png

47294933842_c77d0380cf_o.png

47294933612_df919ea2f0_o.png

While he still has his pretty and soft bishonen face, they gave it a little more texture and his facial expressions are also much more pronounced than in DOA5. You can't really see it here, because I wanted to take aesthetic shots of him, but he makes some expressive faces, like opening his mouth wide, baring his teeth, or biting his lip:

46432656105_b9b01e3a7c_o.png

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I love your photos @Tyaren !
Which thread should we use for future screenshots : this one or the photography one ?

Thanks. :)
The problem with the existing photography thread is that I have the creator on my ignore list and this means the thread is not even displayed for me. That's why I opened an additional photography thread after the game released in the first place. I didn't know there was already one since January. I asked Brute to combine the threads and when he did it was only fair and logical that the earliest thread was kept. I won't post in there though...
It seems to be okay for me to post my photography in here as long as they are not just photo dumps, but also address the topic of this thread, the graphics. For that reason I shortly talked about the new texture and expressiveness of Eliot's face.

I found an old DOA5LR photo of mine with a similar pose and angle, so here's a little comparison:

DOA5LR:
33472860488_7e5e653a93_o.jpg

DOA6:

Last edited:

Ninoasker

Thanks. :)
The problem with the existing photography thread is that I have the creator on my ignore list and this means the thread is not even displayed for me. That's why I opened an additional photography thread after the game released in the first place. I didn't know there was already one since January. I asked Brute to combine the threads and when he did it was only fair and logical that the earliest thread was kept. I won't post in there though...
It seems to be okay for me to post my photography in here as long as they are not just photo dumps, but also address the topic of this thread, the graphics. For that reason I shortly talked about the new texture and expressiveness of Eliot's face.

I found an old DOA5LR photo of mine with a similar pose and angle, so here's a little comparison:

DOA5LR:
33472860488_7e5e653a93_o.jpg

DOA6:
bitch i’m legit shook at how well you capture everyone in your pics. your screens make the game look so different lol!

Tyaren

Standard Donor
bitch i’m legit shook at how well you capture everyone in your pics. your screens make the game look so different lol!

Aww...thank you for noticing. :3 I guess I do know how to show the/a game from its best angle. Over on another big forum I also share my photos and there already several people approached me, telling me they decided to buy the game because of the photos and how beautiful it looked in there. I always make sure to point out that the photos are maybe a teensy bit misleading, and they musn't expect the game to be generally as good looking. In fact, as we know, it is visually quite inconsistent, I just hide those flaws with the characters, costumes, stages, poses, angles, framing, lighting and in some cases a little image post processing (especially when the lighting is all over the place) that I am using. There are stages and characters (I won't shame them with a name drop here, lol) that I literally can't get a single good shot of. I then give up after like half an hour trying. >__<

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Great news, Digital Foundry will upload their tech analysis of the game in the coming days! :D We will finally know what's up with the game on all platforms and in all modes. I didn't expect them to look at it at all, to be honest. DF tends to only look at the biggest, most popular games. Tekken and Soul Calibur, sure, but DOA?

I finally decided to make a photo session with Hayate...his ugly, low res wig kept me away from him for a long time. It does look a bit better when it's wet, because it gets darker and some shine is added, but the weird pixelation error on some of the strands remains and looks so bad. I did retouch it on the following photos, but I'll add one with it still in place.

47358380741_a1a1a0d45f_o.png

47358380581_092695d43b_o.png

47358381111_b804a0ccdd_o.png

47358380901_8cca8f8e83_o.png

Before and after:

33482251828_a686c0853b_o.png

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Additionally to being completely remodelled and retextured, adding a lot more polygons and muscle definition, the male body models of DOA6 have also more variants than in DOA5. There's basically 6 categories this time:

Category 1 (very slim, moderate muscle definition): Eliot
Category 2 (slim, moderate muscle definition): Hayate, Brad
Category 3 (normal, high muscle definiton): Ryu, Rig, Jann Lee, Diego
Category 4 (bulky, high muscle definition): Bayman
Category 5 (bulky, very high muscle definition): Raidou
Category 6 (very bulky, low muscle definition): Bass

On Deviantart I stumbled over sheets of categories 1-3:

_doa6__eliot_deluxe_set_by_lgmods_dd19xgc-fullview.jpg

_doa6__hayate_deluxe_set_by_lgmods_dd1a1wu-fullview.jpg

_doa6__rig_deluxe_set_by_lgmods_dd18pj6-fullview.jpg

by: https://www.deviantart.com/lgmods

For Bayman it is a bit hard to tell yet, because he decided to dress mostly clothed (and dorky, lol) in his deluxe costume.
In DOA5 he was at least in his own category. He was a bit broader and had a wider waist then the other guys:

d6rqghr-637c0c1e-3b7c-4d53-8ad2-70665e7824ce.jpg

Is that supposed to be a bit of waist fat or really pronounced oblique muscles? XD

It's a little wonder that we will have to wait for an assessment of the girl's body variants for a bit longer, since they are more dressed than the guys this time. I do think some characters like Kasumi, Ayane, Leifang etc. have been slimmed down a bit. Ayane looks considerably slimmer in her deluxe costume (I'm not just gong by the following picture, but also observed it in the game):

1542475336-deluxe-ayane.jpg

An other indication for some girls being slimmed down is Kasumi's black DOA5 suit not properly fitting her arms anymore:

asPwCu6.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: YEH

KwonJigglypuff

Yes, some girls definitely went on a diet.
I wish Helena had more MILF thighs. Where are my chicken legs ? :(
Also, I think she should be a little bit taller. Just a little.

Jyu_Viole_Grace

Xbox runs at 720p and at dynamic 900p in graphics mode with FPS drops.

Xbox X runs at 1080p and in graphics mode is native 4K with drops in FPS.

PS4 version runs at 900p and at 1080p in graphics mode with drops in FPS.

Graphic mode for PS4 Pro is 1080p but they think it slightly improves AA and shading.

Cinematic scenes for story mode are low resolution (maybe 900p?).

They like how models and costumes improved but they're not perfect. They don't like how material works (you know, how lightning reflects so badly in materials) in comparison with other games like SoulCalibur VI.

I didn't finished watching the video but for now (first 10 mins) this is the summary.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I can't believe you beat me to posting this video, lol. I've waited so long for it. XD

The PS4 Pro optimization is imo a big disappointment, they just improved AA and shading a bit, but it is barely noticable at all. :/

What's inexcusable though is the base Xbox One hovering around 50 fps in some stages and that in performance mode. What the...Team Ninja? Fighting games need to be solid 60fps and so far that was always the standard.

Jyu_Viole_Grace

I think graphic mode should be the default mode on PS4 Pro. There are very few FPS drops and only in cinematic moments like supers and cinematic danger zones. That also happens in regular PS4 version.

Graphic mode should be 2k.

I like how they pointed input delay because Team Ninja said nothing about it. Maybe with DF exposing it they could consider trying to fix it ... but I guess it has to do with the infamous DW9 engine.

They also should improve some textures (I think they fucked with offsets in some hairs) and how materials work. The game would look way better with these changes.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD