DOA6 Graphics Thread

Jyu_Viole_Grace

I have been testing wetness and sweating effects in both DOA5 and DOA6 and I have to say this another downgrade in DOA6.

The effect itself feels way more basic since it looks static. In DOA5 you could see sweat/water falling down in characters faces and bodies meanwhile in DOA6 all I can see is just a single drop dropping from characters chin. They way the water/sweat material reflect the lighting is also really disturbing, it's just too shiny.

I also noticed in DOA5 some cloth materials get darker, like Hitomi's karate gi costume meanwhile in DOA6 that doesn't happen. They only implemented transparency and sweating maps.

The more I play DOA5 the more I feel DOA6 has been released in an alpha state.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
We witnessed a miracle in the newest game update. Not only do all male characters now have a navel at the right place, and not only did they delete the second, wrongly placed navels, they even retrospectively updated all older models to have just one navel and that at the right spot.

Rig deluxe costume before:

bjxv73xi7ylsbezzg.jpg

Rig deluxe costume now:

lely8w446qinpnyzg.jpg

giphy.gif

Jyu_Viole_Grace

Yep, it's the first think I noticed in this update.

By the way, what do you guys think about the new beach stage?. Actually I really like its lightning, it's still warming and bright but unlike in other stages bloom relfections are behaving properly without being all over the places. You can still appreciate the sand texture and characters skin without going blind.

Sadly palms shadows are super low resolution in comparison with characters and other static objets like boxes and the skybox doesn't have dinamic clouds unlike other stages but well, for me it's the best looking stage right now.

The girls bikini models are also better than I expected. Surprisingly they increased their butts polygon count (it's really easy to notice it in comparison with several Kasumi and Marie Rose costumes) and they also gave them buttocks physics (there are buttocks physics in other costumes but some girls didn't have until now).

Tyaren

Standard Donor
By the way, what do you guys think about the new beach stage?

Graphically very inconsistent and partly a step back from DOA5.
The clouds are not only static, but they are also very low resolution, you can clearly make out pixelation around their edges. I don't think this was ever the case in DOA5. The water effects look pretty bad, definitely worse than DOA5. As you already pointed out the environment shadows are very pixelated. I noticed the lensflare effect being static, it does not move with the camera. Was that the case in DOA5 too? I don't think so. Foliage and palm leaves have very jagged edges. The environment beyond the stage boundaries looks really generic and boring. DOA5 at least had a volcanic cone rising in the background. The background is also missig any kind of atmospheric perspective. You know, when landscape in the distance becomes hazier and bluer, especially under a bright blue sky. Generally a lot of the stage is reused assets of the second DOA5 beach stage. I honestly would have preferred it to return instead. Maybe as a night and day version. It was really atmospheric and pretty.

latest

Jyu_Viole_Grace

Graphically very inconsistent and partly a step back from DOA5.
The clouds are not only static, but they are also very low resolution, you can clearly make out pixelation around their edges. I don't think this was ever the case in DOA5. The water effects look pretty bad, definitely worse than DOA5. As you already pointed out the environment shadows are very pixelated. I noticed the lensflare effect being static, it does not move with the camera. Was that the case in DOA5 too? I don't think so. Foliage and palm leaves have very jagged edges. The environment beyond the stage boundaries looks really generic and boring. DOA5 at least had a volcanic cone rising in the background. The background is also missig any kind of atmospheric perspective. You know, when landscape in the distance becomes hazier and bluer, especially under a bright blue sky. Generally a lot of the stage is reused assets of the second DOA5 beach stage. I honestly would have preferred it to return instead. Maybe as a night and day version. It was really atmospheric and pretty.

latest

I think the water shaders and materials are the same as in the DOA5 vanilla stage. It doesn't look worse for me, in fact I think the "splash" effects are improved but looks like the material doesn't work properly with this new lightning.

Yep, palms seems to have lower resolution textures in comparison with DOA5. They look really bad if you zoom to them.

About the night beach stage in DOA5LR. I also like it but I didn't want that one for DOA6. If I have to choose one I prefer a bright daytime beach were you can "feel" the summer hot. It was a nice addition back in DOA5 but because we already had a daytime beach stage.

This one could be better (heat waves at background, fishes in the sea like in the vanilla DOA5 beach stage, some NPCs in the hotel ...) but I still like it.

Tyaren

Standard Donor

It just looks...off. Plasticky, almost. Like there's no texture to the body.

To be honest, you won't see much of a skin texture on a small, compressed gif like this. In the game at least the male characters clearly have skin texture. Even with little details, like bigger pores, freckles, small scars and other natural blemishes.

Yeah, Bass, whydya wax your chest, bro?
View attachment 28953

To be honest here as well, don't most pro westlers have shaved/waxed bodies? It fits Bass' theme.
Characters like Diego would look good and fitting with some body hair though.

Lycanthrope -R-

To be honest, you won't see much of a skin texture on a small, compressed gif like this.
While I agree, they're still using it as an advertisement of sorts. You gotta make sure it looks good.

Also, yes on the wrestlers waxing. All of the grappling and tumbling would just lead to the hair being "waxed" in a far more painful fashion. lol

Matt Ponton

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Standard Donor
While I agree, they're still using it as an advertisement of sorts. You gotta make sure it looks good.

Also, yes on the wrestlers waxing. All of the grappling and tumbling would just lead to the hair being "waxed" in a far more painful fashion. lol

They also do it to avoid in-grown hairs which can cause boils and other bumps. Most typically they shave over waxing. Typically, if the hair isn't part of the wrestler's character then the spectators will even heckle things like "SHAVE YOUR BACK!" or "SHAVE YOUR CHEST!".

Though, as a hairy guy myself, I wish Bass had body hair lol. Would be easier on me.

Ninoasker

Tbf Bass is basically retired now and I’ve always seen him as the kind of dude that won’t shave and has a lot of fur everywhere lol

Japanese game devs just want to keep everyone waxed af, even their big strong guys. The fact that Miguel from Tekken has a hairy chest still surprises me even to this day, but that may be cause he’s the typical “hot hispanic macho from Spain” character.

werewolfgold

Tbf Bass is basically retired now and I’ve always seen him as the kind of dude that won’t shave and has a lot of fur everywhere lol
The story has him starting a new wrestling team with Tina.

But, Zangief is also a thing. Apparently, he just doesn't give a fuck. lol

Onryoki

Standard Donor

Japanese game devs just want to keep everyone waxed af, even their big strong guys. The fact that Miguel from Tekken has a hairy chest still surprises me even to this day, but that may be cause he’s the typical “hot hispanic macho from Spain” character.
You forgot Cervantes
9F565C40-3594-4D43-B6A8-ABA02081F46A.jpeg

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD