DOA6 Graphics Thread

Ninoasker

no-baby-no-gif.gif

That looks absolutely awful. Please turn that saturation down again.
Speaking of looking awful:
I today noticed how messed up Tina's hair looks. D:

33644820638_2f319472c9_o.png

46797929214_25894ee42d_o.png

I can't wait to get my hands on Mortal Kombat 11 and leave this ugly mess behind.
WHAT THE HECK DID JUST HAPPEN TO THE HAIRS?! omfg I hope this is a bug in the patch like werewolfgold said and not an actual decision by the modelers cause holy shit I ain’t taking this

Thiago Guarani

How do you apply the injectors without crashing DOA6? It's easy, I'm just explaining it carefully, baby step by baby step.

1-Download the Reshade app over https://reshade.me/ then install it.
2-It will prompt you to select the executable. Go to wherever you installed the game, somewhere like "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Dead or Alive 6\" then click on DOA6.exe.
3-Then select the DirectX version by clicking on D3D10+ because it's a DX11 game. Then click ok. The directories prompt will appear, but you can just click OK because you'll adjust things later (please keep track of the very few files put in the "Dead or Alive 6" bin by the installation).

IF...it was like DOA5, you'd be done, only needing to download a injection preset somewhere like http://sfx.thelazy.net or just make your own preset. But the game is protected against it, so you'll need the fix files to make it all work from somewhere outside the folder of the game.

4-Download the fix zip file at http://helixmod.blogspot.com/2019/03/dead-or-alive-6.html and extract it anywhere, besides the game folder.
5-Cut all the files made by the Reshade installation and paste them inside Helix's folder.
6-Open with the Notepad app the d3dx.ini file then edit it. Press Ctrl+F and search for the ";proxy_d3d11=reshade.dll" line and delete the semicolon. Save and close this file.
7-Rename the dxgi.dll to reshade.dll.
8- Finally open 3DMigoto.exe, preferably as administrator. You'll see the Reshade overlay if everything is OK.

Brute

Standard Donor
Have you been able to use the tools to fix (or at least mitigate) the over-exposure on Road Rage?
Does it cause any problems playing online?

Thiago Guarani

How do you apply the injectors without crashing DOA6? It's easy, I'm just explaining it carefully, baby step by baby step.

1-Download the Reshade app over https://reshade.me/ then install it.
2-It will prompt you to select the executable. Go to wherever you installed the game, somewhere like "C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Dead or Alive 6\" then click on DOA6.exe.
3-Then select the DirectX version by clicking on D3D10+ because it's a DX11 game. Then click ok. The directories prompt will appear, but you can just click OK because you'll adjust things later (please keep track of the very few files put in the "Dead or Alive 6" bin by the installation).

IF...it was like DOA5, you'd be done, only needing to download a injection preset somewhere like http://sfx.thelazy.net or just make your own preset. But the game is protected against it, so you'll need the fix files to make it all work from somewhere outside the folder of the game.

4-Download the fix zip file at http://helixmod.blogspot.com/2019/03/dead-or-alive-6.html and extract it anywhere, besides the game folder.
5-Cut all the files made by the Reshade installation and paste them inside Helix's folder.
6-Open with the Notepad app the d3dx.ini file then edit it. Press Ctrl+F and search for the ";proxy_d3d11=reshade.dll" line and delete the semicolon. Save and close this file.
7-Rename the dxgi.dll to reshade.dll.
8- Finally open 3DMigoto.exe, preferably as administrator. You'll see the Reshade overlay if everything is OK.

Super Quick Configuration
I strongly suggest the uninitiated press the Home key to open the Reshade UI and click on "Start the Tutorial", or something. It has only 3 or 4 steps and they're super short by themselves. Only then, like the experienced guys, they'd proceed phase of defining the Preset Directory, the Toogle Shader key and the Reload Shader key. These are the bare minimum configurations, but I doubt they'd need much more.

The FPS font is small, so you'd like to go to the Settings tab and adjust the font size and text color, because unless you have a super rig, you'd like to keep track of the FPS, once the Peformance Mode (checkbox located at the bottom right of the Home tab) eliminates the magic of the injection wich is fine tunning the strenght of each post-proccess effect.

Making in your own injection preset

1-Select the Home tab, press the "+" button in the upper right corner of the UI window and name your preset. Use a very distinct name because you'll probably use more than 1 preset, as I noticed a good "solution" for one stage isn't optimal for another. Only TN can come with definitive and universal solution.
Now it's actually the biggest step because it's very subjective and addictive fun. It's picking the chacters & costumes that need that "oomph" and/or picking the stages that are missing a bit of life and try to mix and match the effects:
2-Still in the Home tab, check the boxes of the effects you like, below the FXes window, you can fine tune each individual FX. Just remember to keep track of the FPS. If he FPS keeps being low, check the Performance Mode box.
3-While trying another character/costume/stage click in the "+" button again and repeat the step 2 with efficient naming. Each profile will be selectable by clicking the down arrow by the right of the preset name.
Tip: Try to constantly hit the Shader Toogle key while making your presets, so you won't end overshooting it like me in my 1st attempt.
4-Share your preset here with us :)

Thiago Guarani

Have you been able to use the tools to fix (or at least mitigate) the over-exposure on Road Rage?
Does it cause any problems playing online?
On Road rage? Unfortunatelly not yet. Actually, one of the reasons I used te Lost Paradise stage was the bloom fest over those Pterodactylus eggs. In the single POV shown in my photos, I kept track of the over exposure in the eggs, the lifeless grass/ground textures and the super jagged lines of the wood structure in the far right background. The biggest challenge to me was exactly the over exposure because I needed multiple effects at the same time to "solve" it (only TN truly can do it).

Online is completely unaffected by the injector, I tested it myself :)

Thiago Guarani

On Road rage? Unfortunatelly not yet. Actually, one of the reasons I used te Lost Paradise stage was the bloom fest over those Pterodactylus eggs. In the single POV shown in my photos, I kept track of the over exposure in the eggs, the lifeless grass/ground textures and the super jagged lines of the wood structure in the far right background. The biggest challenge to me was exactly the over exposure because I needed multiple effects at the same time to "solve" it (only TN truly can do it).

Online is completely unaffected by the injector, I tested it myself :)

You saw how super saturated the colors were in the 1st attempt, right? The problem is, one of the most efficient effects against the bloom, at least in that stage & POV, was the "cartoon" fx. Those eggs emmit some withe aura in their imediate outline which vanishes when you active the effect, so you finally can see the part of the foliage which appears right next to the eggs. "Colourfulness" is a good alternative and is the best option depending on the stage. Sometimes "vibrance" can work together with ONE of the effects mentioned beforehand for a better result. "Technicolor2" has to be used alone because its too strong, unless you change its parameters by unchecking the Performance Mode box.

MXAO is good to improve, a little bit, the lackluster shadowing bellow the eggs and behind the grass patches. It's like the whole scene has a glowing aura, eliminating shadows and subtly withewashing the scene, it's like a slightly withe (or gray depending of the stage) filter. If you only or mostly play DOA6, you won't notice. By the way, I only saw this in Injustice 1 and in (surprise!) DOA5. Wich makes me ponder about the LoverLabs modders' claim of, TN claiming, it was a engine built from the ground up. Did TN really say this?

I could use the AA options in the injector but I'm trying to be the least dependent of them, as Reshade messes a bit with other screens of the game. I improved anti-aliasing by choosing a resolution bigger than my TV actually supports: Nvidia Control Panel > Manage 3D settings > Global Settings tab > DSR - Factors: 2.00x (native resolution), DSR - Smoothness: 33%. This, plus enhancing the application setting in the Program Settings tab, Never Overrinding it!

Antialiasing - FXAA | on
Antialiasing - Setting | 4x*
Antialiasing - Gamma correction | on
Antialiasing - Mode | Enhance the Application Setting
Antialiasing - Transparency | 2x (supersample)
Multi-frame Anti-aliasing (MFAA) | on*

*The "Antialiasing - Setting" & "MFAA" options will only work if the game use MSAA as a anti-aliasing method, and even might not work properly. The reason you always would want to enhance the game anti- aliasing setting, is, generally, the games don't use AA all the times and use different methods and levels (number of passes e.g. 2x, 4x,...) depending on the scene/screen. Improper AA can, for a bad side effect example, blurry important game texts. Just look at the "Ayane" or "4-way holds" texts in my 1st attempt. That is the way it is because, partially, of AA overshooting while I tried to mitigate the jaggie situation of this game. At this point, It'd better if TN rework those textures with a higher resolution, because when I get near to solving the problem, I create another by creating a big amount of noise over the inputs display in practice mode. The name of the character doesn't matter that much, but I need to see those imputs crystal clear for quick referencing.

Bonus Settings for textures

Anisotropic Filtering | 16x
Texture Filtering - Negative LOD Bias | Clamp
Texture Filtering - Anisotropic Sample Optimization | off
Texture Filtering - Trilinear Optimization | off
Texture Filtering - Quality | High Quality

Bonus settings for responsiveness

Triple Buffering | off
Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames | 1
Threaded Optimization | on
Power management mode | Prefer maximum performance

Last edited:

Alucard Chris

Spent the night on Helix's Mods blog, Lover's ogre swamp (I know, I know...) and a lot of other places, but I finally got it to work!
PC max settings. My TV resolution is 1080p, but I set the game to 1440p to reduce some jaggies. Thinking about it, I should take note of the effects I enabled. But now all I want is to eat a bit and sleep. If you guys like it, I can tell how I made it work. There's a ton of SweetFX presets for DOA5LR on SweetFX Settings DB that I want to try, but I have to figure out how convert SweetFX presets to Reshade presets.

Reshade off - https://ibb.co/kSqnGD7
Reshade on - https://ibb.co/Gd1rK3w
Thats too much Contrast/Brigtness/Coloration for me there, i dont like that cartoon look.

Better is to keeping it on the original style, only customize it with a deeper no blurry looking detail and a few lightning color fixes:thumbs up:
But thats my personal taste.

That sounds great if Reshade works also on DOA6, i just used it at DOA 5 LR will check it out if i have time too, great:):)

Antialiasing - FXAA | on
Antialiasing - Setting | 4x*
Antialiasing - Gamma correction | on
Antialiasing - Mode | Enhance the Application Setting
Antialiasing - Transparency | 2x (supersample)
Multi-frame Anti-aliasing (MFAA) | on*

*The "Antialiasing - Setting" & "MFAA" options will only work if the game use MSAA as a anti-aliasing method, and even might not work properly. The reason you always would want to enhance the game anti- aliasing setting, is, generally, the games don't use AA all the times and use different methods and levels (number of passes e.g. 2x, 4x,...) depending on the scene/screen. Improper AA can, for a bad side effect example, blurry important game texts. Just look at the "Ayane" or "4-way holds" texts in my 1st attempt. That is the way it is because, partially, of AA overshooting while I tried to mitigate the jaggie situation of this game. At this point, It'd better if TN rework those textures with a higher resolution, because when I get near to solving the problem, I create another by creating a big amount of noise over the inputs display in practice mode. The name of the character doesn't matter that much, but I need to see those imputs crystal clear for quick referencing.

Bonus Settings for textures

Anisotropic Filtering | 16x
Texture Filtering - Anisotropic Sample Optimization | off
Texture Filtering - Trilinear Optimization | off

Bonus settings for responsiveness

Triple Buffering | off
Maximum Pre-Rendered Frames | 1
Threaded Optimization | on
Power management mode | Prefer maximum performance

My Nvidia Settings are:

Anistropic x16
FXAA OFF
AA Setting x8
AA Gamma ON
AA Modus Disable Application Settings
AA Transparency x8 SS
MFAA OFF
Texture Filtering - Anisotropic Sample Optimization | OFF
Texture Filtering - Trilinear Optimization | OFF

Why would you enable MFAA and FXAA? Is it better to use AAx8 and SSAAx8if you have the power for it?

Last edited:

Thiago Guarani

Thats too much Contrast/Brigtness/Coloration for me there, i dont like that cartoon look.
Why would you enable MFAA and FXAA? Is it better to use AAx8 and SSAAx8if you have the power for it?
You didn't pay attention to the thread, I posted here my 2nd attempt too: https://ibb.co/WGq8QQV. Actually, I done many of them, but I think the 2nd one was good enough to show how a little injection can give this game the little oomph it needed.

Simply put, I don't have the power. My 1070 gone below 60 FPS at 4xMSAA + 4xSSAA. Secondly, I don't need to do it. Each AA method has its cons, specially MSAA as it heavy & old, so you'd never overshoot them. I'd only stressing my card needlessly if I increased the number AA of passes even further. While testing the 4xMSAA + 4xSSAA, I, still in the main menu, noticed that "compressed/noisy look" of over AAing. Text and other scenes were greatly affected too.

Last edited:

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
*cracks fingers* is it too late to chime in?? I've been M.I.A for a while & in n out of the forum :eek:

I was meant to post this a while back when we were talking about certain characters not having Asian features and looking more on the ambiguous side. It'd be awesome if DEAD OR ALIVE 7 was to step it up in terms of nailing characters and accurately portraying them on how they should look like and getting their features right. Hopefully they can add some more realism to both their character models and skin textures in the next installment.

When I revamped Kasumi's look I was heavily inspired by how crisp and realistic the Mortal Kombat 11 cast looks along with Nioh 2 (Okatsu in particular) and Devil May Cry 5. I mainly kept the face shape the same and used it as a base but subtly restructured the cheek bones and jawline giving her a beautiful round, heart shape face (channeling DOA2 looks). From their added in more realism to her eyes, nose and lips! Which made a massive difference.

I did want to redraw her bangs & eyebrows slightly but it's so tedious and time consuming. Lord knows how those clumped shardic, scragmatic, shambolic hair strands stick out so badly with weird random gaps, shadows & highlights. So I cloned 1 or 2 strands and half heartedly fixed the highlighting on her bangs. Anyways, let me know what you think! Just hold on to your specs because the difference is major. I know I'll probably get attacked by @KasumiLover for this edit but I'm swinging on everyone if it all goes down south >: )
P1aodaD.png
The edit isn't bad actually, I like how her bangs look a bit more seamless xD the eyes I don't really like as much since I feel Kasumi already has the best face and body in DOA6 so there's not much to really improve her unless they lengthened her loose hair to about the same length as her ponytail since none of the girls hair with tied styles as their defaults measure to how it long it should be down. And her normal bangs I prefer since I like how shaggy they are already

Derock

*cracks fingers* is it too late to chime in?? I've been M.I.A for a while & in n out of the forum :eek:

I was meant to post this a while back when we were talking about certain characters not having Asian features and looking more on the ambiguous side. It'd be awesome if DEAD OR ALIVE 7 was to step it up in terms of nailing characters and accurately portraying them on how they should look like and getting their features right. Hopefully they can add some more realism to both their character models and skin textures in the next installment.

When I revamped Kasumi's look I was heavily inspired by how crisp and realistic the Mortal Kombat 11 cast looks along with Nioh 2 (Okatsu in particular) and Devil May Cry 5. I mainly kept the face shape the same and used it as a base but subtly restructured the cheek bones and jawline giving her a beautiful round, heart shape face (channeling DOA2 looks). From their added in more realism to her eyes, nose and lips! Which made a massive difference.

I did want to redraw her bangs & eyebrows slightly but it's so tedious and time consuming. Lord knows how those clumped shardic, scragmatic, shambolic hair strands stick out so badly with weird random gaps, shadows & highlights. So I cloned 1 or 2 strands and half heartedly fixed the highlighting on her bangs. Anyways, let me know what you think! Just hold on to your specs because the difference is major. I know I'll probably get attacked by @KasumiLover for this edit but I'm swinging on everyone if it all goes down south >: )
P1aodaD.png

She actually looks realistically legit with the edited face. I'm impressed. Keep in mind though, despite the "realistic" approach since 5, all of the cast still have their anime features, so I doubt whenever Team Ninja starts 7, they'll go to the REAL-Life look of the DOA cast.

Thiago Guarani

P1aodaD.png
Can't wait for the final version and the other characters, specially the Asians!. I Loved the initiative of characters mods representing the backgrounds which the original models should represent in the 1st place. Altought she isn't looking that much of a Kasumi for me right now. Maybe it can grow in me with time. I guess it was what the OGs felt when DOA5 got more realistic graphics. I started with DOA1, but I've been absent for years, so it didn't really shook me at the time.

zoo

damn ok then lmao. I'm actually fine with the current designs being touched up but since ppl here were talking about going more realistic I thought that pic was a cool way to do it since it doesn't drop their core facial features (I wouldn't really want DOA to go photo realistic NRS tbh), clearly we don't know how TN would handle that but the pic was more of a general idea (hair/coloring/etc)

Chisa

I do think the current male designs are right enough anime/realistic but i do think females tend to still look very anime (mostly since they are lacking jaw and huge eyes). Wouldn't hurt if we could get different nose shapes for girls too.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I do think the current male designs are right enough anime/realistic but i do think females tend to still look very anime (mostly since they are lacking jaw and huge eyes). Wouldn't hurt if we could get different nose shapes for girls too.

They also lack natural face textures, like bigger skin pores, blemishes, freckles, discoloration, scars etc. that the male characters faces feature:

47488649152_6cb49b4b27_o.png

32320044667_a374ebe4b9_o.png

Male characters faces are also realtsically uneven and asymmetric.
The female faces are perfectly even:

46347343385_7eeeca0c5b_o.png

46817792204_ee01999603_o.png

They obviously adhere to (Asian) female beauty standards of flawless skin and perfectly even faces, but a little bit of texture and uneveness would've helped to make them look less like porcelain dolls in comparison to the men. Well, Mila has some texture and hinted at freckles:

46372711805_885c2798f0_o.png

But she's unpopular with the Japanese audience anyway, so she can get away with it, lol.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD