DOA6 Graphics Thread

Juihau

You don't see this kind of issues in other Koei games with even smaller budgets. This game is like this due both Koei and TN.
I mean...you literally do. You ever see gameplay of Blue Reflection and notice the weird shadows that stick around the main character's feet and hover around any object on the screen? That's, uh, actually the game's completely broken ambient occlusion. And since there's no option to turn it on or off, to get rid of it, you basically just have to go into the shader folder in the game's directory and delete the AO file, amusingly enough.

That said, I'm not saying that Team Ninja can do no wrong. What I am saying is that DoA6 seems to effectively have the C-team of TN working on it, while KT has sent the A and B teams to work on games like Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and Nioh 2.

Jyu_Viole_Grace

I mean...you literally do. You ever see gameplay of Blue Reflection and notice the weird shadows that stick around the main character's feet and hover around any object on the screen? That's, uh, actually the game's completely broken ambient occlusion. And since there's no option to turn it on or off, to get rid of it, you basically just have to go into the shader folder in the game's directory and delete the AO file, amusingly enough.

That said, I'm not saying that Team Ninja can do no wrong. What I am saying is that DoA6 seems to effectively have the C-team of TN working on it, while KT has sent the A and B teams to work on games like Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and Nioh 2.

Yep, not perfect implementation in every technique is pretty common, DOA5 also had it issues but here we are talking about a huge bunch of issues: awful performance on consoles (FPS drops and insane input delay), broken stages that can't be played at WC, awful UV mapping, awful skinning, broken alpha textures, broken LOD, the worst skyboxes in this franchise, faces and bodies polygon count topology makes 0 sense (insane amount of polygons in faces and less polygon count in shoulders, thighs, calves and elbows in comparison with DOA5), some characters hair physics are broken ... I can continue with the list but at this point everyone here know that there are more things not working properly than working properly.

This game cries lack of talent and care everywhere.

Chaos

I think Shining Wave's picture told me everything I would have said. A bunch of silly people taking a bunch of silly photos that are absolutely meaningless to fighting games. The PC joke. I won't even entertain it because the dark side feels so good. PC has the power here.
LOL ( ͡ᵔ ͜ʖ ͡ᵔ ) You're trying to start a war? There's no brainless console fanboys here like you see in the YouTube community, nah bro. They appreciate owning consoles and are aware of PC's ultimate power.

They give no fucks LOL (no hard feelings)

Back on topic.
I...don't understand... I was told the PC version looks so amazing, leagues ahead of what the game looks on consoles. This however looks just as shitty...

Confused-12.gif
SMH.....TN...... :(

I play on PC and don't see them at all. Playing on a potato?
I like potatoes......:oops:

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
No. I wasn't trying to start a war. I simply responded to a post that wasn't even on topic and provoked me to respond in a comedic fashion. Why would there be a need for a war?

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I wished the DOA6 hair was as detailed as Nioh 2's hair:

EIRtlDIXsAAnkkr.jpg

The flat and partly very low resolution alphamaps reused from DOA5 don't cut it anymore.

45986058104_4b294b8e37_o.png

Some characters have admittedly really high quality aphamap hair though, like Marie Rose for example:

47200692352_63a6459674_o.png

Jyu_Viole_Grace

Diego, NiCO and Kula hairs are also great.

But most old characters ... and then there's Jann Lee, that hair should be a crime nowadays.

NightAntilli

I wished the DOA6 hair was as detailed as Nioh 2's hair:

EIRtlDIXsAAnkkr.jpg

The flat and partly very low resolution alphamaps reused from DOA5 don't cut it anymore.

45986058104_4b294b8e37_o.png

Some characters have admittedly really high quality aphamap hair though, like Marie Rose for example:

47200692352_63a6459674_o.png
They should look into implementing TressFX (or some variant of it).

Xion

hairworks would not work for DOA6..theres performance issues as it is.

Clearly TN can do better.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
TressFX, most notable on Lara Croft, does not even look that good to me. The hair looks, moves and reacts very fake. It's light and floaty as if the character is under water. Technically less advanced and less demanding hair simulation like it is for example done in Uncharted The Lost Legacy looks better and more natural to me:

30529402318_ea39d091fa_b.jpg

44347836642_05aaf2ce3f_o.png

30529403858_fb7bff7c78_o.png

It feels heavy, bouncy and a bit sticky and tangly, just as real hair is.

The first Nioh, before DOA6 released/was in development, already had beautiful hair. If they wanted they could have definitely implemented it in DOA6 as well.

nioh.jpg

Nioh-Hairstyles-1024x576.jpg

They simply called it a day after resuing the same old hair textures, actually messing them up in the process.

Last edited:

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I kind of expected Dissidia Final Fantasy NT quality of character models for DOA6, or at least Nioh. But it didn't happen.

Yeah, I forgot about Dissidia for a second. Those models are also beautifull modelled and with the most detailed hair. There are also 6 of these amazing models on screen at once. Allegedly DOA6 can't even handle 3 a lot less impressive models in DOA6's absent tag team mode...

SaihateDYNAMO

I get increasingly annoyed the more I hear about how TN/KT/whoever is treating their other games compared to DOA6. We definitely got the short end of the stick this time around, in fact I don’t even think we got a stick at all.

Now that most of their “””main””” projects are out now, do you think they will start working on extra improvements to this game’s visuals and presentation or will we be stuck with what we currently have? To me if they don’t, DOA6’s existence as a whole is a self-sabotage effort to kill off the fighting game so the Xtreme series can take over (yes i know that’s a hot take lol)

Ninoasker

Yeah, I forgot about Dissidia for a second. Those models are also beautifull modelled and with the most detailed hair. There are also 6 of these amazing models on screen at once. Allegedly DOA6 can't even handle 3 a lot less impressive models in DOA6's absent tag team mode...
That's because Dissidia models have normal poly counts for their details, unlike DOA6's 4838583939399493939 polys just for the faces (that ain't even THAT expressive for them to need such amount) lol. That and the game is polished enough in all of its departments for it to run properly. DOA6 can't even manage to polish its own lightning engine.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Guess whose foot that is?

49016228187_01c02e0056_o.png

Why has Eliot hairy hobbit feet? That is supposed to be hair, right, lol?

Last edited:

werewolfgold

That is supposed to be hair, right, lol?
I'm actually not sure. Could be dirt or an attempt at skin texturing/freckling.

Now that most of their “””main””” projects are out now, do you think they will start working on extra improvements to this game’s visuals and presentation or will we be stuck with what we currently have? To me if they don’t, DOA6’s existence as a whole is a self-sabotage effort to kill off the fighting game so the Xtreme series can take over (yes i know that’s a hot take lol)
At this point...it's not even the hottest take I've heard. But, while we would all like for them to give a shit about the game to do it properly, they'd have to redo so many things that it'd just be throwing money away. The damage has been done.

Maybe they could copypasta over body/hair models from Nioh to have less work from scratch, but that all would still require work that I doubt KT would want to pay for.

Jyu_Viole_Grace

Pretty much that, there are so many mistakes that they won't fix everything.

I wouldn't expect improvements until next gen and for improvements I mean adding more effects, not fixing what is already broken.

Art style wise this game is beyond salvation.

Guess whose foot that is?

49016228187_01c02e0056_o.png

Why has Eliot hairy hobbit feet? That is supposed to be hair, right, lol?
I often wondered the same thing with Bayman’s feet; I couldn’t tell if what I was looking at was foot hair or freckles.

It kind of bothers me at times.

While we're on the subject of feet, I really have an issue with how the characters' feet contort in this game. You'll notice this more easily in certain costumes, but the way their feet and ankles bend sometimes looks very unnatural and weird. Just look at the picture below:
DEAD OR ALIVE 6_ Core Fighters_20190914122446.jpg

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD