Graphical Changes

EMPEROR_COW

Premium Donor
How do you design an arcade stick¿ I've never seen anyone do that.

Not designing the stick itself, but the artwork that is on it.

The Q4NBA stick comes with a free plexi glass that allows you to put any artwork you like under it (which sure as hell saves a lot of hassle).

I did a rough design and I'm just waiting to get all the character reveals to make a similar idea to the one I did for SF a few years back (you can see it in the arcade stick thread in the general discussion)

My editing skills have increased since then, and with the website background as a template (which also happens to be the DOA5 character select screen btw) It's looking pretty awesome :D

I might post a pic of the progress of the stick in the arcade stick thread :D .. The other guys did some pretty awesome designs for other sticks as well. you should check out that thread if you're interested. :)

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
Hey guys, The new direction for DOA 5 is awesome but there are some things that bug me (mostly related to Hitomi) so I thought I'd do some quick paintovers of some stuff,etc. and we can talk about the new graphical style of DOA 5.

Starting with Hitomi's infamous face. I picked the least flattering image I could find to paint over.
View attachment 100

Things I changed:
-Thinned out the neck and arms, they looked pretty wide to me.
-Made her ears stick out way less, she looked kind of like a monkey..
-Made her nose and mouth smaller with thinner lips.
-Changed her jawline to something less wide and more feminine.
-Gave her more hair to change her head shape, it was a little too thin before.
-Made her eyes more blue, I thought it just looked better and her favourite colour is Sky Blue apparently anyway.
-Minor tweaks here and there.

Higher res comparison:
http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/3179/hitomicompare.png

Overall I tried to bring in some of DOA4's anime style roots into what they're doing now and make her look less like a chimp/little boy but it's only a start, it's not really well done.

What do you guys think should be fixed about the newer graphical style of DOA5?
I'm probably late but I never understood why people thought she was ugly in the beta, I found her cute and I thought her beta model was alot more ethnic and made her look more mixed European and Japanese, the fix you did to her erased her German traits and the fix the devs did I feel was OK but made her look too Japanese. Granted the devs changing her up was expected since the Japanese prefer girls more who look like them racially, which is why I think they overhauled her to look near full Japanese with only the eyes and hair being the main western traits

I also kinda dislike the chimp and monkey references to her pre doa5 vanilla appearance, I don't think there's anything wrong with bigger ears and a more prominent jawline. If she still looked like the pre doa5 Hitomi I think she would have had one of the most distinct and unique appearances out of the girls. Now in doa6 she's cute but her look isn't really memorable, I wish they would have kept her looking more European since Kokoro imo already filled the quota for a mixed race character who had European and Japanese roots but looked more asian

TheIndustrialCowboy

NiCO Evangelist
Premium Donor
I'm probably late but I never understood why people thought she was ugly in the beta, I found her cute and I thought her beta model was alot more ethnic and made her look more mixed European and Japanese, the fix you did to her erased her German traits and the fix the devs did I feel was OK but made her look too Japanese. Granted the devs changing her up was expected since the Japanese prefer girls more who look like them racially, which is why I think they overhauled her to look near full Japanese with only the eyes and hair being the main western traits

I also kinda dislike the chimp and monkey references to her pre doa5 vanilla appearance, I don't think there's anything wrong with bigger ears and a more prominent jawline. If she still looked like the pre doa5 Hitomi I think she would have had one of the most distinct and unique appearances out of the girls. Now in doa6 she's cute but her look isn't really memorable, I wish they would have kept her looking more European since Kokoro imo already filled the quota for a mixed race character who had European and Japanese roots but looked more asian
Interesting - I had no idea that Hitomi had a different face when DOA5 was being developed.
There are elements that like from both faces - I also don't mind the original ears or jawline. The only change that I'd say was absolutely necessary would be making her mouth/lips smaller, as I think it helped to make her face more proportional (making her nose just a wee bit smoother helped this too I think).

Arnell Long

I 100 percent agree with all of that!!

(o^_^o)

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I 100 percent agree with all of that!!

(o^_^o)
Thank you xD I know they lean more towards Japanese ideals with looks but they definitely could have kept Hitomi how she was, maybe just scaled her ears a bit since she looked more European before with the eyes being the way to see her Japanese side.

Project Bokuho

Lady Helena's Pet
Premium Donor

Oh, wow! I totally forgot about this story. I can only imagine if TN decided to attempt this again (and that's a BIG ass "if").

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD