Venus Vacation Character in DOA6

Do you want a Venus Vacation character in Dead or Alive 6?

• No

Votes: 46 67.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 22 32.4%

• Total voters

Dionysus

I agree with that analysis, with a tiny bit more leeway for NiCO who is mostly screwed by poor writing. They lost something after DOA5 when it comes to making new characters; Mila and Rig are okay and Nyotengu is a fun character, but the rot has really set in with the XVV crew.

candynarwhal

I think what we're missing is just, characters who are either aware of their sex appeal - such as Nyotengu, Tina or Christie - or characters who may be sexy, but are treated by the game earnestly, like the rest of the female cast pre-Marie.

As it is, we have characters who could be interesting additions, if not for the meta sort of way the game treats them, from their framing in the story right down to the camera work.

VV has made this worse, because all there is to that game is the fucking camera work, lmao.

If the community makes something of a certain character, that's fair - but when the express purpose on the devs' part is nothing but eye candy, you're kind of stuck with an empty pastiche of some anime trope to project onto. A waifu, if you will.

I miss when Hitomi used to walk away from fights asking "isn't there anyone better around here", you know?

That is to say, the rest of the cast have been retroactively painted with the same brush - even as early as Dimensions, but they at least had pre-established personalities they couldn't veer too far away from.

Whoever's in charge of the story doesn't know what they're doing, basically, which informs every other design choice TN makes going forward. It's sad.

Dionysus

Yeah, it’s one thing when you have a character such as Nyotengu who is confident and playful about her sexuality from the start; and another when you take a character like DOA3 Hitomi, who has that focused commitment to her martial arts (see her laconic exchange with Jann in the ice cave), and basically waifuize her by taking about about half the grey matter away in between games. I don’t mind some comedic edge to a series that’s always an over the top aspect to it, but I cease to care when nobody is taken seriously. And the thing is that old Hitomi, for instance, is still a better character even from a “waifu” perspective. TNs way of making cute characters is very short-sighted.

candynarwhal

They stick too closely to common archetypes for any of their characters to be truly interesting. Rig feels like a tired anime villain, and Mila - I mean, I have no problem with her, I really like her actually, but the "starry-eyed fangirl" is something I recognize as very Japanese too.

Short-sighted is a very good word for it - but the worst part is that it genuinely seems to work for them, despite it all?

I really don't understand people who can abide one-note characters, no offense, but so I can't blame TN for going in that direction either.

It just feels like a kind of degeneration, though. We had serious characters with quirks, and now we have quirky characters who fail to be serious.

Not to go on and on about Itagaki's design having uniquely Western sensibilities while still being unapologetically Japanese, but it is what gave DOA its edge, back in the day.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
Actually I’m not opposed to having a VV character (Kanna). I used to say that I didn’t want it but from a marketing standpoint adding a VV character (Kanna) seems smart. DOAXVV is more popular than DOA6 and Adding a VV character (Kanna) could raise the game’s popularity.

I really want Leon back but Ein and Gen fu can stay in the bin. I feel like adding Ein back would just be excessive, especially since he doesn’t exist and is basically nothing but a moveset. A moveset that they should give to a new character or implement it in Hayate/Hitomi’s current move pool. Gen fu I don’t wanna see because, quite frankly... he has always been broken as fuck.

I’m happy they’re adding a new character to the game though, instead of getting returning character after returning characters. In these 8 months of its release we got of the 4 characters that were released 3 returning characters. Adding another returning character after Rachel would probably work against TN in a way, because it would just be reselling the same content from 5. Which they’re already getting read for. I hope that they continue to add new characters to the game, instead of returning ones because it’s starting to feel like a waste of my money knowing that the next DLC character is somebody who was already playable in the prequel.

Danharhar

Do people who play the Xtreme games even play fighting games? Maybe a few hundred or so who I would be guessing should already be playing 6.

If those thousands of "players" will pick up and bother to learn the mechanics and support the game then I'm all for adding a VV character or two but the fact that even with characters like Honoka and all the cliche fan-service they add to 6, I don't see how those 2 audiences would translate well.

werewolfgold

I'd find it pretty hard to believe that anyone playing DOAXVV wouldn't know of the base game's existence by this point. If they haven't already crossed over, then I don't see how this would help that much. Especially since DOA6 has a free version.

Brute

Standard Donor
Lisa is a character that originated from the volleyball game and look at how people here receive her. I'm willing to bet that at the time, Lisa did not look like a fighter. She had to become a fighter and if TN wants to make a VV girl into a fighter they'll find a way. Give it time and the character will look no different from the rest just like Lisa. There is no way a character can be either too bland or too generic for DOA.
Yeah, but when Lisa debuted in DOA proper, we still got the full returning roster.

My objection isn't having a DOAX character on principle, nor a female or loli or whatever else. My problem is that these shouldn't take priority over Leon, who already has a fantastic and idiosyncratic kit, just because of the obvious sex appeal.

And yes, I know some near-sighted cretin is bound to chime in and say "It makes sense for marketing purposes," but keep in mind that their easy marketing practices resulted in DOA6 and the state it's in. You can't always go for the cheap buck or else the reputation and quality of the product will gradually degrade. You can point to all these individual aspects and say "X wouldn't sell as well as Y" and while anecdotally that may make sense, eventually you're stuck with so many Ys that you dig yourself into a hole, trying to sell cheap bucks for something that you already alienated everyone from.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
I'm out of the loop. They're seriously considering adding a character from XVV to DOA6? Or is it just swimsuits from the game?

If it's the former, I'm not on board with it. It's too soon. There are still some legacy characters missing that should take priority over them.

Brute

Standard Donor
I'm out of the loop. They're seriously considering adding a character from XVV to DOA6? Or is it just swimsuits from the game?

If it's the former, I'm not on board with it. It's too soon. There are still some legacy characters missing that should take priority over them.
It's the former.

Though it's more than a consideration.

werewolfgold

You can't always go for the cheap buck or else the reputation and quality of the product will gradually degrade. You can point to all these individual aspects and say "X wouldn't sell as well as Y" and while anecdotally that may make sense, eventually you're stuck with so many Ys that you dig yourself into a hole, trying to sell cheap bucks for something that you already alienated everyone from.
tenor.gif

human013

And yes, I know some near-sighted cretin is bound to chime in and say "It makes sense for marketing purposes," but keep in mind that their easy marketing practices resulted in DOA6 and the state it's in. You can't always go for the cheap buck or else the reputation and quality of the product will gradually degrade. You can point to all these individual aspects and say "X wouldn't sell as well as Y" and while anecdotally that may make sense, eventually you're stuck with so many Ys that you dig yourself into a hole, trying to sell cheap bucks for something that you already alienated everyone from.

Yes, exactly that. That's why I gave up on DOA6. It's obvious the "success" of Marie, Honoka, and DLC costumes turned DOA6 into what it is. The issue is that it worked and is easy so TN dropped everything else to solely focus on that. I don't like what they did to DOA6 but at this point I can't imagine them changing their ways. People complained about the DLC costumes in 5 and look at where we are now. This place had a rather straight forward reaction to Honoka and look at where we are now. This place is supposedly DOA's main community but I don't see TN addressing or even considering anything people mention here.

I agree with what people are saying because I want Ein back and I don't care about the VV girls, but TN is lazy. If I had to choose between returning characters looking exactly the same from 5 or a new character then I'd choose the new character. I want new content in what is suppose to be a new game.

Choose either a copy and paste character from 5 like Nyo, Marie, Honoka, Rig, Phase, and the returning DLC characters OR a new VV girl. (Blah Blah DLC are guest characters so their outfits can't change. Then get NEW guest characters for the NEW game.) One option shows people are fine with lazy copy and paste jobs while the other shows people are fine with the current trend in DOA. Both options are horrible.

Jyu_Viole_Grace

I will only say that if they wanted, they could make good female characters, because they still know how to make good female characters for Nioh.

Nioh female characters are beautiful, as always with TN characters but they still have personality and a great sense of creativity. That is what DOA is missing in regards to its new characters.

PJudge

I'm not against new characters or anything, but it would be nice for legacy characters to be added first - which has be reiterated before me and likely after me as well. Leon, Ein, Gen Fu are all characters that should be here and it's starting to feel like it'll never happen in favour of bikini sales.

Whilst I'm not really against them using VV girls, it's hard to feel like they're not doing this because they cba to put real effort in and it's so much easier to port a model from a game they already have.

Last edited:

The 4th phase

Standard Donor
I honestly have no issues if they add a xv character to the game, providing its done right. More characters the better. Of course there are legacy characters that should be given priority. I am not going to deny that I will probably end up buying whatever dlc characters they release due wanting to have the full roster ( still need to buy mai lol)

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I was kinda curious to see which girl people would most likely want so I'm doing a DOA6 twitter poll where people can vote to see who is most requested, I @ed TN but idk if they already made a choice. XD either way it's open for 3 days so it'll be interesting to see what the votes are when it ends

I'm praying Fiona will top the votes since she's the best imo but I predict maybe Misaki, Tamaki, or Kanna or Monica will top it. I think Luna will be dead last since she's literally missing a personality of memorial essence but she's cute tho xD

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD