DOA6 Graphics Thread

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I had no idea they were changing body models with costumes. Thanks for the info.
Have you noticed Helena's ugly glitch with her three hairstyles in her ninja costume ?

Body models change slightly in all costumes. Most noticably visible on the girls' chests. From costume to costume they have a different size and shape. They did this really well with the wedding dresses. They actually took their time and effort to model the chests being pushed up and spilling out of the cleavage. Those are not physics at work there, but they actually modelled the chests that way.
I also often notice, because it is a pet peeve of mine, the shoulders of the girls being made up of different amounts of polygons. In many old costumes the girls show low polygon shoulder angles, in many of the new costumes they appear to be high polygon and more rounded.
The male bodies also slightly change, but usually the actual body shape is pretty much identical. This is the first time when I noticed that a body changed shape and proportions this significantly, and it does not look good. :/

Nah, I haven't noticed Helena's hair glitches since I didn't buy any of her DLC. Can you maybe post comparisons? :)

KwonJigglypuff

Nah, I haven't noticed Helena's hair glitches since I didn't buy any of her DLC. Can you maybe post comparisons? :)

Well...

EE5Y2QXVUAk37r5.jpeg

Don't have pictures for her braid and ponytail options, but they are distorted and floating as well when moving. The mask make her hair a glitchy nightmare. Can't believe they haven't tested it.
So unprofessional...

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Well...

View attachment 29382

Don't have pictures for her braid and ponytail options, but they are distorted and floating as well when moving. The mask make her hair a glitchy nightmare. Can't believe they haven't tested it.
So unprofessional...

Yeah, that looks bad. :/ Looks as if they did it to avoid hair clipping through the scarf and sword, but they overshot it a little as the hair now hovers like a meter over everything, lol.
I already noticed something similar but less severe on Hitomi's bikini DLC. Her hair is slightly hovering over her shoulders there, while in other costumes the hair lies directly on top of her shoulders or the costume she wears. Technically there is nothing her hair could clip through in her bikini. :/

Jyu_Viole_Grace

If you think that is bad then don't even try playing Hitomi, she has the worst hair physics in all her hairstyles in this game by far.

I would prefer DOA3 hair physics than this shi*

Jyu_Viole_Grace

Less time of development, smaller budget, and outsourcing to a no-name studio in Vietnam. That's likely the gist of it.

I would add that there isn't QA in this game at all.

They can fuck up something, that can happen to anyone and that happened also in DOA5 but here no one is testing what they are doing because, us, the customers, have to report these bugs and issues to them. Most times they don't even know what they did wrong. We could say this time we are the QA.

That is the worst part of all because with a good QA they would fix it before delivering.

Ninoasker

Here some observations I made of the recent ninja DLC. Its quality is very inconsistent and some stuff looks outright bad.

First of all, Ryu's DOA5 black falcon suit is way too big for him now. Especially the torso is really bulky, cutting into his arms, which are much thinner in DOA6 than they were in DOA5:

48762005612_02c9136d54_o.png

They messed up a lot on Diego. They forgot his scars and the mask which is supposed to closely hug his face, makes it look way too long. His chin area is massive now, and almost reaches down to his collar bone:

48761816921_54a5d373b1_o.png

On Jann Lee we actually see an improved detail. They apparently finally noticed that he was missing the arm veins that most other male characters have and that especially Jann Lee was famous for in older games:

48761816201_4e0a4dbaa3_o.png

Remember when his arm veins were actually modelled with polygons in DOA4? O:

maxresdefault.jpg

Last but not least they for some reason remodelled and messed up Rig's torso. His chest is now way too square and pronounced, especially the middle partition of the pec muscles:

48761465873_45ce82c51b_o.png

Here's a gif that Chapstick was so kind to make for me to better showcase the change:

tyaren.gif

His nipples wandered all the way to the sides of his torso.
It's funny, just some months ago I made the point in here that the upper bodies of the male character are way too unnatural and geometric looking...

View attachment 29364

...now it is even worse. I hope this is just the case for this costume. :(
I see they're keeping the trend of messing up the models' quality between costumes lmao

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Meh we are seeing improvements to the game every patch. I think the ninja outfits look awesome, and I think the worst way to look at them for long periods of time (like some of you people do) is at the character select screen where absolutely no action happens. I mean some games have CARDS as their select and not 3D models so...

We were lucky to even get a DOA6. I judge how it looks primarily by watching high level competitive matches on PC at tournaments. The game looks absolutely stunning when you throw in two fighters that know what they are doing and don't playing fighting games to watch the waterfalls and look at the grass.

Jyu_Viole_Grace

Meanwhile I think sometimes people expect this game to look as good as Nioh, something that can't happen due input delay being way (WAY) more important in FGs (like Ninja Gaiden always looked better than DOA), they can do it way way better with DOA6.

Visuals has always been really important in DOA, even more than in other franchises like Tekken. People loved these stunning stages and that insane attention to detail, you can't just say to people: "see, this new team is not that comited to DOA so forget about all that".

Just look at this game, it's from 2004 and it's still insanely beautiful. You know why?, because the team didn't think: "people won't stop at looking at the ground and backgrounds, they will only fight and only tournament players matter, so just do whatever, meanwhile the game is functional no one will care about visuals".

Also, why are we lucky to get DOA6?. DOA5 sold over 1.5 million units and we know people spent an insane amount of money in DLC outfits. It's not like they almost didn't get profits or even lost money. There are way more niche franchises out there that still are alive.

I think it's about time to stop complaining about this franchise don't selling the same as Tekken. They should first prove everyone that this is an amazing game. It isn't shit but it isn't great either. For now It's just a worse DOA5 and that's how a lot people will lookt at it meanwhile they don't get really serious about this game.

If they knew they will only work hard in Nioh 2 then they should have wait until next gen for DOA6. If you treat your franchise as a minor game people will look at it like that.

Last edited:

Chapstick

Meh we are seeing improvements to the game every patch. I think the ninja outfits look awesome, and I think the worst way to look at them for long periods of time (like some of you people do) is at the character select screen where absolutely no action happens.
Well...

View attachment 29382

So unprofessional...
Did you not see this? No care was put into this lmfao

Ninoasker

if visuals in fgc don't matter for y'all tournament playerzzzz then i have the perfect game for you, you're welcome luvs xx

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Where did this wack “visuals in a fighter don’t matter” mindset come from all of a sudden? I see this shit all the time now in response to just about any criticism of a fighting game’s graphics/presentation. It’s like people are settling for less now.

Blinded fanboys that won't accept any criticism of their favorite game, game company or game platform.

Real talk: Us discussing the game's graphics, including its flaws, many of them existent not because of technical limitations on a platform but because of low effort and/or missing QA, is what actually leads to improvements in subsequent patches. I literally sent a male anatomy guide to Team Ninja, they took note, and they fixed their error. So any fanboy coming in here only to complain about us discussing graphical flaws and possible improvements can just get lost please. :)

Jyu_Viole_Grace

After looking at Diego ninja costume, I think his scars disappeared simply because they messed up his skin texture for that costume since that isn't his skin tone, it's way more pale, almost as Jann Lee skin tone.

I went back to DOA5 to double check Hitomi's hair physics. I can't upload videos right now because she's not in the free roster rotation from Core Fighters but after looking at her victory poses (which I can't record because they don't allow to record theather mode ... ) I'm 100% sure they messed up her hair bones in DOA 6 both in her loose hair and her bob haircut.

Her bob haircut in DOA6 not only has way less movement than in DOA5 ... I didn't not notice this so far but her alpha textures are also messed up in that hairstyle.

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team
Blinded fanboys that won't accept any criticism of their favorite game, game company or game platform.

Real talk: Us discussing the game's graphics, including its flaws, many of them existent not because of technical limitations on a platform but because of low effort and/or missing QA, is what actually leads to improvements in subsequent patches. I literally sent a male anatomy guide to Team Ninja, they took note, and they fixed their error. So any fanboy coming in here only to complain about us discussing graphical flaws and possible improvements can just get lost please. :)

They allegedly can't even fit tag on the PS4 because of how outdated it is and you compare DOA to expensive Sony exclusives and MK that's owned by WB.

You also direct a lot of your troubles with the game to Team NINJA that's a fairly small team and doesn't have the control KT does.

Not to mention the company notes things all the time. If I make a suggestion it's often responded to out of courtesy. I'm not blind and I'm aware this game has issues, but what irritates you doesn't inflict on the primary functions of the game or prevent me from having any less fun.

What this whole topic is missing are the amazing photos that can be taken and beautiful battles that transpire.

You can freeze any fighter at the right frame to find issues, but once again most of your complaints come from poses or the select screen.

At the end of the day... This is a tournament fighter and DOA5 didn't last all the years it did because of a graphics thread.

IMO artists shouldn't be flocking to PlayStation. Archaic hardware, censored content... I could go on.

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD