DOA6 interviews

Zeo

While I like Diego, his design is far from inspiring.

This makes a lot of sense, actually, since he seems like some factory-produced, focus-tested basic bro instead of a living, breathing character envisioned by a writer or artist.

Pretty much this. They said they designed him specifically to appeal for western audiences (Ok... americans like this, right? Oh, oh! and throw some ratty jeans on him and make him a STREET fighter!)

I remember this idea I had years ago for a new male character. If you want to hear from my edgy mind.

An african american (or mixed if you like) character named Greyson. He lived with his father who'd moved to Japan for business when he was still a baby. He got mixed up with a very dangerous Japanese mafia and ended up getting killed after being unable to pay back an undisclosed amount of money, but the boy (let's say 3-5 years of age) was saved by Ryu before he could be killed and taken back to the Hayabusa ninja village. Greyson was brought up in the village and trained as a ninja up until he was 16 when Ryu discovered the identity and location of his mother (who was divorced/separated from his father).

After being presented the choice of staying in the village or going to meet his mother in america, he returned overseas for a normal life. Fast forward to him being around 23-25, he's got a normal job as a supermarket cashier with a side job as an Uber driver, but suddenly he's found by those who were seeking his father. Not only that, they are Shinobi. Turns out he owed money to a Japanese mafia associated with the black spider ninja clan. Rather than return to the Hayabusa ninja village, uprooting his life and fearing for his mother, he enters the DOA tournament with the intent to win the prize money to pay off his father's dangerous business partners.

Since his leaving of the village he has preferred to learn a new style of fighting and is now a practitioner of Wing Chun. Though the style taught by the Hayabusa ninja village echoes sometimes in his movements and the occasional ninja oriented attack can be seen in his movelist. The result is a primarily Wing Chun moveset with a few moves similar to Hayabusa's and most notably, a rough variant of the Izuna-Otoshi.

His C1 is a pretty standard jeans with a T-shirt and hoodie, Traditional Wing Chun uniform C2, supermarket cashier uniform C3 complete with nametag and apron and finally a classic Hayabusa Ninja outfit for his C4 (a gift from his former family).

It... felt cringe-y to me when I thought of sharing it years ago before leaving, but when comparing it to Diego, it kind of makes me think of the possibilities. Diego might not feel like he's from a fanfic, heck I even like the guy... but he just feels... hollow.

Last edited:

Brute

Standard Donor
"As you can see on the fighter’s default costumes, we just picked the coolest looking ones. "

SGG-Hrm-What2.gif

Xhominid The Demon Within

DLC costumes are one thing. But baseline costumes everyone had the same amount in SFV. Everyone had at least comparable amount in T7 at the start as well (as in the set outfits you can customize onto them, not the generic stuff).

We know how the DLC for DOA6 is going to turn out, but even for DOA5 at the start, it wasn't this bad. The amount of costumes at the start is basically the only bone fans of male DOA characters are going to get thrown, and it's worse than the last game.

1. Some of that IS counting the Baseline costumes or the costumes that can be gained for free, not just DLC outfits. The females would still win out over the males even counting that.

2. Tekken 7 still does count in some ways as I believe Xiayou can have more costumes than some males due to the preorder of her getting her Tekken 3-4(?) outfit back. But the customization feature pretty much regardless, fixes whatever issues arises from the base costumes.

3. We still know that most of those costumes are recolors, even from the female side. It would still fit your example, but it's not a massive amount that you think it is.

Lycanthrope -R-

1. Some of that IS counting the Baseline costumes or the costumes that can be gained for free, not just DLC outfits. The females would still win out over the males even counting that.
At SFV's launch everyone had their default and story, with the special edition "battle costumes". That's 3 across the board that you could count on no matter what. Call it 2 across the board, if you want to forget about the battle costumes. Other DLC and lootbox and extra battle "free" costumes were indeed added later, but I'm just talking about the launch baseline.

2. Tekken 7 still does count in some ways as I believe Xiayou can have more costumes than some males due to the preorder of her getting her Tekken 3-4(?) outfit back. But the customization feature pretty much regardless, fixes whatever issues arises from the base costumes.
I don't think there were pre-order costumes. The only thing you got for that was Eliza. PS4 got exclusive costumes for Jin (T4), King (T2), and Xiaoyu (T4). And the costume distribution is rather random throughout. There isn't some kind of gender-based separation.

3. We still know that most of those costumes are recolors, even from the female side. It would still fit your example, but it's not a massive amount that you think it is.
I'm only taking into account 2 versus 5. I'm going to assume (maybe wrongly) that they're going to keep doing 3 colors/variations per costume going forward.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Dead or Alive 6 hasn't toned down the sexualisation, its just tucked it away

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...own-the-sexualisation-its-just-tucked-it-away

Source: oneangrygamer

One more embarrassing interview. I understand that Shimbori is frustrated at this point talking about the game's sexualization everytime more than about anything else, but he's only reaping what he sowed. Next time just own it. Don't make false promises, don't make excuses, don't try to defend yourself all the time. Other games, like Street Fighter or SoulCalibur, are also sexualized and they just own it. They get far less ganged up on than DOA in return.
I'm glad though that Shimbori did understand two things:
1) They indeed went overboard with the sexualization in the later years of DOA5. There's sexy and then there's vulgar. They did imo cross from one into the other on multiple ocassions. Just be sexy, but also classy. I still remember Hayashi on stage ogling and salivating at Last Round's boob physics.
2) It is also true that many fans conflate DOA with DOAX by now, and now that DOAX3 turned more vulgar than ever those fans expect the same thing from the DOA main series. Only releasing DOAX3 in Asia didn't help much to separate them apparently, lol.

Hold_Junkie93

I'm not going to defend Diego's weak design, but I don't think they're pulling from any hispanic stereotypes for his look or personality. I'm latino and I've never seen a latino dude or even a stereotype look like him. Ratty jeans, tight jacket, and peacock hair really make him look more like a modern Japanese pro wrestling character.
I've seen it from Dominicans in NY but they like baseball more and definitely don't like tacos exclusively.

Macca Beam

"I blame it on DOA Extreme"
We would really appreciate it if the media would focus more on the topic of we are building a good game here and not only focusing on this juggle talk
wtf i like shimbori now

Atahotaku

*gallo

and yeah diego isn't the product of research... they lowkey just went for the basic stereotypes in a very "out of touch foreigner" kind of way.
I think that is the Miguel and Vega/Balrog approach, but not Diego's. You guys are being a little unfair with this, when the hispanic approach could be much worse.

Onryoki

Standard Donor
DOAX was a mistake lol
Even though I love DOAX2 a lot the entire spin off series is a mistake, TN shouldn’t have put so much on the girls. They’re all beautiful in their own way, but it doesn’t define them y’know? It’s sad TN thinks otherwise.

I blame Shimbori for this shit.

All the interviews were he try to be More "progresive" and chase the world trenes.

The obvius breast reduction the constant Shame of the legacy of DOA were some of the reason of why so many fans are so mad.

KasumiLover

xX_APO_Prince_Xx
Premium Donor
I blame Shimbori for this shit.

All the interviews were he try to be More "progresive" and chase the world trenes.

The obvius breast reduction the constant Shame of the legacy of DOA were some of the reason of why so many fans are so mad.
The breasts weren't reduced tho.... And no one was shaming the legacy, people just mocked those fans since they seemed so bothered by the idea of DOA elevating from being seen as more than a quick fap simulator. XD

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD