How would you rate the roster at the moment?

juliusxcix

Okay what's this thing about NiCO looking like Marie Rose just because she's also petite? Half the roster has an identical busty body shape and people cry foul when now there's a second character that doesn't have big boobs?
View attachment 27639

View attachment 27640

They have different faces, at least as different as DOA faces can get in general. They also don't even have the same body shape- Marie Rose is actually a good bit thinner. I just don't get it.
EXACTLY. they just hate successful women.

Tyaren

Standard Donor
I think the roster is actually pretty good. All the important characters are back. Other current fighters are doing a lot worse in that regard.
As for the two newcomers, I don't like their character designs, but Diego was actually fun to play in the beta. :)

Cadaveri

Okay what's this thing about NiCO looking like Marie Rose just because she's also petite? Half the roster has an identical busty body shape and people cry foul when now there's a second character that doesn't have big boobs?

They have different faces, at least as different as DOA faces can get in general. They also don't even have the same body shape- Marie Rose is actually a good bit thinner. I just don't get it.

Weeell, I just feel like these loli type of characters are really out of place in (semi)serious fighting games overall.
The fact that they steal spots from my mains.. but hey I just said my opinion :)

Dr PaC

A little late to the rating party but I’ll give the roster a nice 8/10. Most of the legacy characters are back and most are buffed in some sort of way, which is great, especially for characters like Lisa and Raidou who were in serious need of some updates to their kits. The con for the roster is I think DOA need to double down on making original characters. Give me a new dude ninja from the Hajin Mon sect. An older woman character would be nice. How bout a character that uses a weapon or tools in combat. I still want my Tifa/ Kazama Kiryu guest characters, but more than that, it’s time TN updated this roster with some fresh new faces (since some certain beloved old ones are gone now) and they do some world building

prototypetom

I didn't rate - 6 out 10

I like the new characters but not enough.

and as always too many damn ninjas - my wait for a ninja free DOA continues :ninja:;)

prototypetom

DOA is literally about the ninja’s... that’s like saying Ninja Gaiden without Hayabusa or Tekken without the Mishima’s.

while I am genuinely not a big fan of the ninjas overall (only because I don't like teleport moves in FG, personal thing) and would like more variety, the last bit was a joke mate. :D

LethalKasumi

8/10.

I'm glad Ein, Genfu, Leon & Alpha 152 are gone. I don't like the fact that they decided to add Raidou cause he is legit dead lol. Nyotengu & Phase 4 are great characters so that's a positive thing, except that they're literally DLC for a second time. Overall it's good.

Leifang12

I give the roster a 6/10, on the reason that I hate all the new characters created since DOA5. Mila, Rig, Honoka and NiCO are all terrible in my opinion . I liked Marie Rose as a character since she was the first Loli character and the ONLY one . Now there is 3 of them and it just seems off to have these kids running around in a fighting game .
I want a sexy, cool female character and a rich douche bag high end male character with a beard, a suit and a more expensive feel .

I also don’t feel the new characters fighting animations are not as well made as in previous games and they look very clunky compared to past characters . The fluidity is simply not there .

Another good addition to DOA5 was Rachel and Momiji . I loved playing as Rachel and they are not here . So that’s also why it’s a 6/10

Could be better, but Leifang is there and that makes me happy

prototypetom

...I liked Marie Rose as a character since she was the first Loli character and the ONLY one . Now there is 3 of them and it just seems off to have these kids running around in a fighting game .
I want a sexy, cool female character and a rich douche bag high end male character with a beard, a suit and a more expensive feel .

I also don’t feel the new characters fighting animations are not as well made as in previous games and they look very clunky compared to past characters . The fluidity is simply not there .
I agree with the first point entirely, we need more variety and that includes age. the loli checkbox got ticked, they should have looked for a new one. Nico didn't need to be a juvenile character, i'm not into grannies lol, but an old tech-witch type vibe could have been really interesting at least.

That said, re your second point. My impression is the characters don't flow like other do on purpose. Diego is brutish slugger so his movements should emphasis impact. And Nicos movement to me looks deliberate and considered... and i'll probably lose people here... like she's doing maths equations with her fighting, kinda like how people follow combo instructions when they're learning them. Now i write it down it seems a bit weird lol, but that's the impression her movement had on me!

Onryoki

Standard Donor
I give the roster a 6/10, on the reason that I hate all the new characters created since DOA5. Mila, Rig, Honoka and NiCO are all terrible in my opinion . I liked Marie Rose as a character since she was the first Loli character and the ONLY one . Now there is 3 of them and it just seems off to have these kids running around in a fighting game .

Another good addition to DOA5 was Rachel and Momiji . I loved playing as Rachel and they are not here . So that’s also why it’s a 6/10

Could be better, but Leifang is there and that makes me happy
I don’t like Mila and Rig either but they were good additions to DOA5. When they were introduced it was a fresh approach to the series, we needed a more simple/ relatable character like Mila that has a part time job and looks up to a famous retired wrestler. Bass and Tina being famous and basically seeing no fan of them in the game was weird. Rig’s personality is bleh but him and Mila bringing MMA and TKD, 2 completely new, realistic fighting styles was also something we needed in DOA (now I hope for a Judo fighter). NiCO is technically a Loli, but she gives off a much more mature vibe than her peers, her style also doesn’t look clunky, every time when I see gameplay of her, her moves seem very fluid and natural.

Shining_Wave

Jeez most of the people in the Doatec tournament are actually Doatec employees now, wtf. Conflict of interest much?

deathofaninja

Premium Donor
News Team

I disagree with Diego. NiCO looks a little clunky, but I think it's purposely done and I will wait to see how she feels before I make my final verdict.

Agree with most of what you say though.

Aerospark

Standard Donor
i'd rank the current roster a 7/10. it's gonna be weird not seeing momiji, rachel, leon and gen fu there, and i wouldn't mind them as dlc, but i'd rather them give us completely new characters as dlc first. also, i wish there were more male characters with flashier fighting styles or just better designs.

Awesmic

Standard Donor
The forbidden topic:eek:. I had the same line of thought once and wanted to know why people were suddenly so outraged at DOA6.
Intriguing, let's see here...

Why are people only now having an issue with the same face syndrome/ similar body type when it also existed in 5?
Perhaps people are seeing how distinguishable characters are in other fighting games and feeling like the odd one out.

Why is the age 18 so bad/creepy now when in DOA1-4 there were multiple characters who were either 18 or younger?
In previous DOA games prior to 5 outside Japan, it was never explicitly stated that Kasumi and Ayane were under the age of 18. Times have changed since then, and there's a great deal of people who weren't in the know about this fact back then. So of course it comes as a shock to a lot of people.

How does blue and pink hair not fit or make a character too anime when DOA has purple, red, white, etc?
It's not so much hair color as it is that the recent new kids on the block strongly resemble other popular anime characters. More specifically Honoka, who almost blatantly resembles a character of the same name from Love Live, and NiCO, who closely resembles Sayaka Miki from Puella Magi Madoka Magica.

Why does Nico's lightning not fit in DOA when we have ninjas with magic?
I think some people wanted the game to be slightly over-the-top, but not too much. To some people, NiCO's lightning-based abilities are considered "too much".

How is Nico being an evil scientist any blander than Rig being an evil henchmen in 5?
To be fair, Rig hid this fact until the very last minute. NiCO is upfront about being a henchman from the very start, or so it seems.

Also, the kuudere anime girl archetype (cold and blunt personality for the uninitiated) is far more played out than a Canadian TKD practitioner disguised as a bad guy. Honestly... how often do you hear about the latter?

How are the new characters blander than Mila who barely did anything in 5 besides have a couple lines and showered?
To be fair, they're all in the stages of infancy in character development, so this is baloney.

In reality, it boils down to personal preference.

human013

I wasn't expecting answers since these were questions I had when I wanted to know about the community.

Perhaps people are seeing how distinguishable characters are in other fighting games and feeling like the odd one out.
The complaints DOA people are suddenly having are complaints other people have had about DOA for years. It's awfully strange how the same face/bodies in 5 was not an issue/didn't exist according to DOA people, but when the clone in 6 is based off of Marie everyone is up in arms.

In previous DOA games prior to 5 outside Japan, it was never explicitly stated that Kasumi and Ayane were under the age of 18. Times have changed since then, and there's a great deal of people who weren't in the know about this fact back then. So of course it comes as a shock to a lot of people.
This was a landmine. Sometimes you just have to follow the crowd regardless of what people say. E.g. Half the female cast's age was 18 when Nico was added.
https://www.freestepdodge.com/threads/thoughts-on-diego-and-nico.8136/page-2

It's not so much hair color as it is that the recent new kids on the block strongly resemble other popular anime characters. More specifically Honoka, who almost blatantly resembles a character of the same name from Love Live, and NiCO, who closely resembles Sayaka Miki from Puella Magi Madoka Magica.
Complain about blue hair in DOA? Has no weight when DOA has other colors.
Complain about anime? That has weight.

I think some people wanted the game to be slightly over-the-top, but not too much. To some people, NiCO's lightning-based abilities are considered "too much".
Nico's lightning is considered "too much" in a series with Genra (who used lightning), Raidou, Tengu, and the 4 ninjas. If the complaints were consistent and those characters never existed then I would have no questions.

To be fair, Rig hid this fact until the very last minute. NiCO is upfront about being a henchman from the very start, or so it seems.
If that is enough to make Rig not bland then sure.

Also, the kuudere anime girl archetype (cold and blunt personality for the uninitiated) is far more played out than a Canadian TKD practitioner disguised as a bad guy. Honestly... how often do you hear about the latter?
The ethnicity of a person does not suddenly make the character any less bland to me so Rig is as boring as Nico.

To be fair, they're all in the stages of infancy in character development, so this is baloney.
I thought that so I didn't join the Nico hate train but that's just me.
In reality, it boils down to personal preference.
Some of those personal preferences were based on statements that seemed off but sure. Everyone has their own view on what DOA is. Can't really question a person's belief.

KwonJigglypuff

1 point my main Helena opens the ball and is here, 5 extra points for fairly trying to bring as many DOA originals as possible, 2 extra points only for the newcomers, 1 extra point for changing the veterans' gameplay to makethem feel more unique
-1 malus point for no Phase 4 makeover, -1 malus point for no Leon, -0.5 malus point for no sexy Korean MILF

6.5/10 >>> waiting for the future updates (Leon and more newcomers)

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD