Lets talk about redesigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shining_Wave

images.jpg

zoo

tbh I think it's just a playful tweet since they're two of the only available characters right now
it does make me wonder what lei's arc will be in this game, hopefully better than how they portrayed her in 5's story

HHH816

Congratulations on the announcement of Dead or Alive 6! DoA5 had a pretty lengthy lifespan across multiple upgrades. What was the impetus for finally moving onto an entirely new game?
Shimbori: It's been six years since the initial release of DoA5. In that time, we launched a free-to-play version of the game that had a total of ten million downloads. With those sort of numbers, we really felt that the game's fanbase was expanding. The game engine within DoA5, however, was beginning to show its age. I decided that we needed a brand new game to expand the fanbase even more.

It seems like the F2P edition of DoA5 really helped the game get a wider reach. Do you have any plans for anything like that for DoA6?
Definitely! It's the biggest factor, I think. But if we would do a F2P version of DoA6… well, that's still something that's under consideration.

With that sort of success, I wonder why fighting games have been so slow to adapt a free-to-play model.
Yeah, I don't know either! I want to know why! *laughs* Maybe there are some company policies that prevent it for other games? Or maybe they don't even really need it. Community-wise, I still think DoA lags behind other fighting games a bit. It feels like the popularity of certain characters is greater than the game itself, so I think that had something to do with the F2P version's success.
What sort of changes are being introduced to the DoA6 engine?
Everything has changed! Graphics, animations, facial expressions, physics, online netcode…

Which changes do you feel are the most significant?
As a whole, the game itself hasn't changed too drastically. Going off what the longtime fans are familiar with, we've introduced a Break Gauge to execute new attacks. It's very conspicuous, so players can see when something big might happen – say, if a player has a full gauge – and it makes things more exciting.

Up until recently, you haven't seen a lot of things like gauges and super moves in 3D fighting games. I feel like games like Tekken have more subtle indicators that might be harder to notice, like when a character is in Rage. But now we're seeing them in DoA6 and Soul Calibur 6.
I think the pro players want to see as much information about their current situation as possible. For players like them, we want to give them as many details onscreen as we can. For beginners, however, especially if they're just randomly pressing buttons and seeing what happens – it's a very significant difference. I think that the break gauge and the newly-introduced “Special” button are going to do a lot for newcomers: when they see that the gauge is full, the button will do something cool to help them beat the opponent. There's a lot of stuff to learn: frames, combos… but learning about that gauge makes for a good jumping-off point. I think that it provides a good place to begin studying the game.

Can you tell us about the new character, Diego, and where he fits into DoA, design-wise?
I wanted to make this a character that would appeal to the Western audience, especially younger players. He's quite powerful, so he's a solid character for players who are just starting out.

There's been a lot of discussion about toning down DoA's fanservice elements for DoA6. How did you arrive at the decision?
I just wanted to make it a bit less… extreme, more natural, realistic.

Have you experienced any backlash?
There's a fair bit of negative feedback, but I also think there's some misunderstanding. Keep in mind, we haven't revealed everything about DoA6 yet. Don't be so down, fans!
I don't get the hate for Kasumi's new look, either. I think it's very sexy!
Yes! Isn't it? *laughs*

In DoA5, we had a fair few guest characters from different games. Are you open to having more guest characters appear in the game again?
No plans at this time. I want to craft the setting and story of DoA6 with the characters that were originally from the series.

Will we be seeing all the old DoA characters returning?
Hmmm…. *laughs* It's a bit of a secret! I can't really give a solid answer – some characters may or may not return. It's still up in the air. We're still finalizing the roster.

It's always a tough choice to cut a character from a previous game, because every character is somebody's favorite
Yes, exactly. Sometimes I even have to consider cutting some of my favorites! It's not just about popularity, role in the story and character balance need to be considered as well.

What do you feel is the “essence” of the Dead or Alive series?
The most important thing is the beautiful female characters! Oh, and the stage gimmicks – the Danger Zones. And the Triangle system of strike-throw-hold. Those are the key elements of Dead or Alive!

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/th...ad-or-alive-6-director-yohei-shimbori/.136321

Last edited:

TOBMAST3R

In DoA5, we had a fair few guest characters from different games. Are you open to having more guest characters appear in the game again?
No plans at this time.

I want to craft the setting and story of DoA6 with the characters that were originally from the series.

Well, that means, that Rachel and Momiji are really not in this time?! Dang...

Atahotaku

Hi, guys, just read the whole thread in the last few days because I was bored and I'm pretty hyped for the game. Pleased to meet you, because the ecchi-maniacs from twitter we're getting me scared about the future of the franchise.

So, sticking to the topic:

First, with the probably TGS's reveals:

- Ayane: I would like a hooded armor costume similar to Hayate's, and I would like more hair costumization for her, like long hair.

- Honoka: Just make an actual plot for her, and maybe use her skull's shirt costume. If she's in, Raidou should be in the story, so...

- Raidou: Her Deception costume was my favourite from Last Round, so give him a dark hooded bad ass's costume this time as default.

- Kokoro: I always like her geisha costume, so putting it as a default making sure that the dress moves smothly is fine by me.

- Marie Rose: I like her default from LR. Maybe a less revealing gothic maid outfit? I don't know, I'm more interested in giving her a proper plot and a less loli's actitude.

And for the rest:

- Lisa: Just bring her back xD But I don't like easy resurrections, so maybe giving her a scar in the face or some kind of burn? Then she gives up as her role in MIST and sticks to her La Mariposa persona. Also put her scarless face for pleasing the waifu seaking fans (myself included. But I don't mind scars. Balalaika from Black Lagoon is pretty hot :D)

- Brad Wong: I was thinking of some feminine patterns in her cloth, something like Shunshui Kyouraku from Bleach. And give him other plot than following Eliot or the chase for the Genra (did he find it in his DoA4's ending?).

- Christie: Some femme fatale dress to be in syntony with Helena, maybe something qipao like, falling to one side and revealing an alluring magnificent leg with a knife or needles or something.

- Tina: An Uncle Sam's thematic wrestling costume, something similar to the one from this hentai of her would be great (but witch actual wrestling cloth and not the adhesive stamps xD Maybe keeping the cape and the star pattern in her bra, like post timeskip's Yoko in Gurren Lagann)

0004.jpgiaoccr6lio5elpwzq22tu6b2x3qpqc4z_hq.jpg

- Eliot: Like almost everybody said, a better hair cut, and a battle costume resembling Gen Fu's because he needs to have some of his moves in this game.

- Bayman: Bufff, I already like his casual and militar costumes from DoA5, so, something similar to that? I don't know, I'm here for the girls and Brad x'D

- Mila: I like her MMA default outfit in Last Round. Maybe give her a cooler haircut. And some Spain's flag motive, because in the DoA5 she looked like a New Yorker.

- Phase 4: Dyed hair, maybe shorter than Kasumi's. Some cool battle armor like hers. And in this story make her be free from Donovan's control, living a live of his own and looking for guidence from Kasumi and the rest of the ninjas.

- Nyotengu: Give her a plot and a more feminine moveset that difference her from Bankotsubo. A more dancing like Tengu-Do, maybe with fighting stances? Also a beautiful oiran dress and cooler tengu's mask

And I think that's my base roster for the game, with the add of the new female fighter (a korean hapkido's practicioner would be cool).

I think that Genfu, Bass, Ein, Leon and maybe Momiji and Rachel are going to be DLCs.

Last edited:
Reactions: zoo

Xhominid The Demon Within

It might have been tongue in cheek. But even as a joke, if he's trying to get the game taken "more seriously," that may not help.

Honestly the rabid fans are doing way more damage than Shimbori can ever do at this point. He's only continuously reiterating the same damn point because you see places like GameFAQs(although compared to the latter, it has quieted down significantly past a few morons) and the DOA Reddit continually try and speak for everyone on this issue despite pulling proof out of their asses.

It's not helped by the trolls who just want to take advantage and act like they was fans for years and years to jump in too.

KnacKrover

Redesigns for:bayman: & :leon:
:bayman:: keep his DOA5 C3 since it's my favorites of all time, but only removed bandages on his torso body (in case which his body recovered well after the end event of DOA5.) As for original costume, I want to see Baeman wearing like he's on mission but keep casual something like he keep his weapon in his sleeves sort of.

:leon:: I know this is nearly impossible for him to be main roster (as I wish it would be real though.) but for his costume inspired by professional mercenary in day-off but also keep the pair of knife, grenade, tear gas and guns on his jacket while keep signature tattoo in his left arm .

KwonJigglypuff

For Bayman i'd like something closer to a spy/agent suit, similar to his diving costume (+ his red beret).
For Leon i'd like something closer to a mercenary/soldier coat, similar to his DOA2 C1 (+ his red coat).

Tyaren

Standard Donor
Wasn't Hitomi 19 in DOA5? So the characters have aged! O:

DmcWyY-UcAE-1i6.jpg:orig

And I still find it weird that the nationality is "Germany" instead of German.

KnacKrover

Wasn't Hitomi 19 in DOA5? So the characters have aged! O:

DmcWyY-UcAE-1i6.jpg:orig

And I still find it weird that the nationality is "Germany" instead of German.

She's turned0 20 already this year, huhh? also the nationality German can be language, people and food etc...I'm not sure about it if TN find out this little detail are error... better prepare to fix instant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD