Offical Helena Gameplay Discussion Thread

MasterGamer

Anyone tested out Helena's 3 BKO transitions? Are the frames different?

After testing some stuff out, I discovered that Helena's can't go into BKO to avoid a standing throw after blocking Busa's 6KP. She's classified as standing for too long after entering stance. The only way to avoid it low block/counter.

I sent TN a tweet asking if they would consider speeding up the transition to crouching status. If we read a throw, we should be able to enter stance to avoid it.

Her transition time kills me! I assumed it was just a nerf, so I was dealing with it, but yikes.

KING JAIMY

I'm seriously trying to improve my Helena in DOA6. Would anyone be willing to give me feedback and critique my play if I uploaded some replays here?

KING JAIMY

So here's the first one I saved. My main weakness with Helena is playing the neutral game incorrectly. I feel like I'm having a hard time creating an opening and relying too much on the 4P string. Currently my Helena is very bare bones and predictable, so excuse me if the gameplay is a bit sloppy. Also, I'd like to know if there are any key moves I'm forgetting. Thanks in advance.

KwonJigglypuff

I'm
So here's the first one I saved. My main weakness with Helena is playing the neutral game incorrectly. I feel like I'm having a hard time creating an opening and relying too much on the 4P string. Currently my Helena is very bare bones and predictable, so excuse me if the gameplay is a bit sloppy. Also, I'd like to know if there are any key moves I'm forgetting. Thanks in advance.

I'm not an expert and I'm not saying you have to play this way, but I'd say you could easily start by relying more on her bokuho stance and her crazy mix-up.

People with better technical terms will certainly help you.

Force_of_Nature

Standard Donor

From what I could see you played Helena fine here in this instance. Most stuff that you were getting hit by was either MU stuff (Lol-Brad Wong...), or online tings. You actually made great use of 4PP here. That hi-crush string is really good on CH, and you used it nicely as a neutral poke. As was noted by @KwonJigglypuff, you weren't really using BKO in neutral (only once I saw), though that will come with experience, and honestly you were playing fine mostly without it. Combo-wise is good. Nice finish.

KING JAIMY

Thanks for the feedback both of you. I shall try to implement Bokuho more often in the neutral game. Helena just feels like such an oddball, it's going to take a lot of getting used to.

Omegan Eckhart

My feedback is pretty similar to everyone else's. It's a very weird match up to critique your Helena on, Brad is both annoying and strange.

What I could offer is, stay on your opponent. Helena is pretty weak at range so try and stay in if you can. Wake up kicks are annoying, but BKO duck beats mid wake up, and 66K beats low wake up. BKO 4P+K has a receding hit box, so you can bait out wake up kicks with it.

Helena's 4PPK string has been around since 4, so people know how to counter it. Try 4PP8K instead.

Be aware of how much stun time you lose when free cancelling string and stances. Given that stuns are generally shorter now, if you aren't careful, the opponent will get out of stun and either SS or block and punish you. I'm still learning this stuff myself.

You just need more time to get Helena's move set into your muscle memory. Once you got that, you'll be on track.

Welcome to the Helena army :)

PhoenixVFIRE

yeah, one thing ive learned while playing against ppl with helena is that with her popularity soaring at the end of 4 and into 5, you gotta keep yourself fresh with your mix-up otherwise you're just another helena in the crowd. find ways to utilize moves that you dont see as often too. it's hard but not impossible^^ i am prone to abusing her 4PP string as well tbh, but it's just so good lol

BeyondDesolated

I know someone literally just asked this, but would you guys also be willing to critique my Helena Gameplay. I know that the video has all wins, but I’ve also lost quite a bit, just forgot to save those. Today is day 1 on doa6 for my Helena, but I used her alot in 5.

KING JAIMY

Question: What's max damage off Helena's Bokuho throw?

I've found 8PP4 -> BT 4PK -> Close Hit 6P+K does slightly more damage than 3P4K -> BT 4PK -> Close Hit 6P+K, but 8PP4 is inconsistent as it whiffs against certain characters. Any other options?

Also, what is Helena's best combo when you BKO T near a wall as 3P4K wall splats?

Omegan Eckhart

I know someone literally just asked this, but would you guys also be willing to critique my Helena Gameplay. I know that the video has all wins, but I’ve also lost quite a bit, just forgot to save those. Today is day 1 on doa6 for my Helena, but I used her alot in 5.
Your Helena is good. She isn't too dissimilar from 5, so what worked then mostly works now. Maybe implement more BKO ducks? I tend to spam it pretty hard, in all manner of scenario's. It's such a limiting move that it messes with the opponents game play completely.
Question: What's max damage off Helena's Bokuho throw?

I've found 8PP4 -> BT 4PK -> Close Hit 6P+K does slightly more damage than 3P4K -> BT 4PK -> Close Hit 6P+K, but 8PP4 is inconsistent as it whiffs against certain characters. Any other options?

Also, what is Helena's best combo when you BKO T near a wall as 3P4K wall splats?
Not too sure, damage differences are pretty negligible overall. 4PPK > 9PKP is universal so I just stick with that.

At a wall, either BKO T > P > BKO 6P4P > 4PK > 22PP/4P+K or K > KK > 9K are my chosen strings.

Omegan Eckhart

Does BKO 3P+K have special launch properties? (CH) BKO 3P+K > 4P+K > 4PKF > 66KPP works consistently for me, but it misses from all other launchers. For example: 8K > 6P4P > 4PKF > 66KPP misses.

Edit: You can even charge the last punch for +1 damage if you use the 3P+K launcher. .
Edit 2: It works off of 7K too. Seems to only work from launchers that leave Helena in BT.
FINAL EDIT: From launchers that don't leave Helena in BT, BKO 4PF > 4PK > 66KPP works.

Last edited:

KING JAIMY

Does BKO 3P+K have special launch properties? (CH) BKO 3P+K > 4P+K > 4PKF > 66KPP works consistently for me, but it misses from all other launchers. For example: 8K > 6P4P > 4PKF > 66KPP misses.

Edit: You can even charge the last punch for +1 damage if you use the 3P+K launcher. .
Edit 2: It works off of 7K too. Seems to only work from launchers that leave Helena in BT.
It only seems to work if you hit them once in the air before using your BT 4PK bound.

For example Launch > BT 4P+K > BT 4PK~H > 66KPP works because 4P+K is only one hit.

However if you do Launch > then either BKO 6P4P or BT 4PP > BT 4P+K then 66KPP doesn't connect because you hit them too many times while they were airborne.

This were my observations anyway, I'm by no means a Helena expert so I could be wrong.

Omegan Eckhart

It only seems to work if you hit them once in the air before using your BT 4PK bound.

For example Launch > BT 4P+K > BT 4PK~H > 66KPP works because 4P+K is only one hit.

However if you do Launch > then either BKO 6P4P or BT 4PP > BT 4P+K then 66KPP doesn't connect because you hit them too many times while they were airborne.

This were my observations anyway, I'm by no means a Helena expert so I could be wrong.
Good nerding :) I've been playing Helena since the Dreamcast and I still don't know stuff :/

Either way we seem to be limited to 7K and BKO 3P+K for that juggle. Although, if you don't input for the last punch, you can use BT 2P to start force tech shenanigans. One door closes, another opens.

Last edited:

PhoenixVFIRE

yeah ive noticed this too and tbh, it's kinda annoying how we're getting punished for too many hits in the air. Even combos with less hits do more damage than ones that go on longer bc of the scaling :/

ALL DOA6 DOA5 DOA4 DOA3 DOA2U DOAD